breaking into operations

Started by thefischNX01, October 29, 2007, 03:19:46 AM

thefischNX01

I originally joined CAP to get into [flight] operations, and emergency services.  But for the past three years I have been working primarily in Cadet Programs and Aerospace Education.  Although I enjoy such jobs immensely, I would like very much to break into Operations.  Can anyone give advice on how to do this if there is no regularly attending Ops officer, and I know little about it?  (our Ops officer is a CFI and ARNG Officer...he's a very busy guy and doesn't make it to most of our meetings as a result)
Capt. Colin Fischer, CAP
Deputy Commander for Cadets
Easton Composite Sqdn
Maryland Wing
http://whats-a-flight-officer.blogspot.com/

_

Did you happen to attend the wing conference this weekend?  If not you may want to contact Maj Parris to see if you can get the materials from the presentation him and a couple others gave about OPS, "An Inside Look at Operations".  I am not an OPS guy but from my experience going to the last CLC and hearing from them, they seem more than willing to get squadron OPS guys up to speed.  I think it's so that they don't have to fix things at group or wing.

jb512

Try being added as the assistant Ops officer and working under the current one with him as your mentor.  If he isn't showing up regularly, your commander might want to address that with him.

Eclipse

If you haven't done any ES field work, you don't belong in Operations.

The best way to start is get active in ES and the contacts will work your way up.

"That Others May Zoom"

thefischNX01

Quote from: Bayhawk21 on October 29, 2007, 03:37:11 AM
Did you happen to attend the wing conference this weekend?  If not you may want to contact Maj Parris to see if you can get the materials from the presentation him and a couple others gave about OPS, "An Inside Look at Operations".  I am not an OPS guy but from my experience going to the last CLC and hearing from them, they seem more than willing to get squadron OPS guys up to speed.  I think it's so that they don't have to fix things at group or wing.

Actually, yes, I was at the wing conference and I did go to Maj. Parris's lecture.  It was a good one as a primer.  My interest in operations is very much a result of his lecture. 

I do have ES experience.  I am enrolled in the Emergency Services Specialty track, and hold ratings as a Mission Scanner and Observer.  I am also a licensed private pilot, but haven't yet taken my form 5 (yet). 

RE our ops officer...i may have given the wrong impression:  he is not there every week, but makes it much more often than not.  Our paperwork is up to date last I heard. 
Capt. Colin Fischer, CAP
Easton Composite Sqdn
Maryland Wing

davedove

Quote from: thefischNX01 on October 29, 2007, 06:21:15 PM
Quote from: Bayhawk21 on October 29, 2007, 03:37:11 AM

Actually, yes, I was at the wing conference and I did go to Maj. Parris's lecture.  It was a good one as a primer.  My interest in operations is very much a result of his lecture. 

I do have ES experience.  I am enrolled in the Emergency Services Specialty track, and hold ratings as a Mission Scanner and Observer.  I am also a licensed private pilot, but haven't yet taken my form 5 (yet). 

RE our ops officer...i may have given the wrong impression:  he is not there every week, but makes it much more often than not.  Our paperwork is up to date last I heard. 

You definitely need to talk with your Commander then.  It's quite possible you could be made the Operations Assistant.  That will of course depend on the needs of your squadron, but most Commanders will try to work with the desires of the members.
David W. Dove, Maj, CAP
Deputy Commander for Seniors
Personnel/PD/Asst. Testing Officer
Ground Team Leader
Frederick Composite Squadron
MER-MD-003

Short Field

Enroll in the Flight Operations Speciality Track.  Enrollment in a speciality track should also carry with it an assignment to Operations.

The Operations Speciality Track requires a tech rating in both ES and Flight Ops. 

SAR/DR MP, ARCHOP, AOBD, GTM1, GBD, LSC, FASC, LO, PIO, MSO(T), & IC2
Wilson #2640

thefischNX01

Quote from: Short Field on October 29, 2007, 08:01:59 PM
Enroll in the Flight Operations Speciality Track.  Enrollment in a speciality track should also carry with it an assignment to Operations.

The Operations Speciality Track requires a tech rating in both ES and Flight Ops. 

and Stan/eval as well.  This I can't get as I am not a CFI, and I don't think I would qualify for a waiver. 

But yes, I am going to talk to my commander about this.  I guess my question was more along the lines of anything that I could read or look at or even advice as to where to start after the squadron commander says 'okay'.
Capt. Colin Fischer, CAP
Easton Composite Sqdn
Maryland Wing

Short Field

Quote from: thefischNX01 on October 29, 2007, 10:15:18 PM
and Stan/eval as well.  ... anything that I could read or look at or even advice as to where to start after the squadron commander says 'okay'.

Sorry, missed the Stan/eval part.  The hardest part starts after your commander says 'ok'.  You need a good mentor/training in addition to becoming very familiar with all the relevant regs listed in the specialty guide.  Training in CAP takes a whole lot of personal initiative.
SAR/DR MP, ARCHOP, AOBD, GTM1, GBD, LSC, FASC, LO, PIO, MSO(T), & IC2
Wilson #2640