Incident Commanders - How long should it take to become qualified

Started by Larry Mangum, October 25, 2007, 04:48:06 PM

RiverAux

Ranger75

You are in error.  PSC requires qualification as either AOBD or GOBD.  Qualification for AOBD requires that the individual hold a rating as either MP or MO.  In addition, an individual working toward PSC, through the AOBD route, must have, at one time, been qualified as GTM or UDF.  Those arising from the ranks of GOBDs must have been qualified as a MS.

floridacyclist

Exactly, which I have...I'm working on my MO and eventually AOBD so that I can round out my knowledge of the air side a little better even though it wasn't required to make it here.
Gene Floyd, Capt CAP
Wearer of many hats, master of none (but senior-rated in two)
www.tallahasseecap.org
www.rideforfatherhood.org

Falshrmjgr

Jaeger

"Some say there are only wolves, sheep, and sheepdogs in the world.  They forget the feral sheep."

jasonmc

Quote from: Eclipse on October 25, 2007, 06:23:20 PM

Its not out of the question however, for someone really active to do it in a couple of years, especially if they go to NESA to get the initial ratings.  Someone walking in the door who is a high-level FEMA mission coordinator, local PD/FD officer or similar could probably drop right in, >AFTER< they spend some time learning what CAP >is< and >isn't<.

I was a Air Force Firefighter for 7 years so I know alot of the ES side and some of the airfield side of things, my problem is getting people to sign off things I already know such as First Aid, Treating heat and cold injuries...!
J. McClaren

flyguy06

So, I take it most people on this board are Ground Ops guys? Thats what it appears by reading this post.

How does military training help you in ES? I mean I was an Infantry Platoon leader. I know how to lay down surpressive fire. Move to contact. conduct an ambush, raid and patrol on foot as well as in Bradley fighting vehicles. Now, how does this eqaute to a CAP ground team?

I am slightly interested in ES. I got my MO quals last year, but havent used them one bit. Since my squadron isnt active in ES, I dont get calle don missions. and my Wing usually has ES training on weekends I have Guard drill so I cannot attend .So how does someone inmy position become an IC?

The current Guard unit I am in specializes in Homeland defense and reacts to different threats including natural disasters. We model ourselves after the ICS system (which I thought would come in handy for me. Currently I am a Planning section chief in my Guard unit. I have completed ICS 100, 200, 300, 400, 700, and 800, but I doubt CAP will give me any credit for that.

RiverAux

You're not in a very good position to move up in CAP ES work as things stand now.  Seems like the onus will be on you to get the squadron more involved in ES, if thats what you want to do.  Whenever CAP gets around to more fully implementing NIMS requirements your ICS coursework will count just fine.

Ranger75

Flyguy06 -- I would expect that there are any number of skill sets and experiences that you can call upon.  First is leadership experience.  As a small unit tactical leader, you should have gained an understanding of how to motivate individuals and a collective group in the accomplishment of a specified mission.  As an infantryman you would have garnered a unique appreciation for terrain, vegetation, time/distance factors. and the elements.  Much of the fieldcraft techniques you were taught have a direct correlation to the conduct of ground SAR operations in a non-urban environment.  Having had an opportunity to either participate as a member, or to observe an established command and staff structure, you should be able to easily relate to the organizational scheme of the Incident Command System.  I could continue, but the bottom line is that being a "grunt" encompasses much more than a singular focus on combat techniques and tactics.

Short Field

Quote from: flyguy06 on October 27, 2007, 02:05:14 AM
Currently I am a Planning section chief in my Guard unit. I have completed ICS 100, 200, 300, 400, 700, and 800, but I doubt CAP will give me any credit for that.

There should be no issue with getting credit for the ICS course.  Getting PSC transferred to your 101 could be an issue but with your traning as a PSC, then you should be able to qualify fairly fast.
SAR/DR MP, ARCHOP, AOBD, GTM1, GBD, LSC, FASC, LO, PIO, MSO(T), & IC2
Wilson #2640

eaglefly

Formal IC training took 2.5 years.   That is after having been a 'crew dog' for several years.   I had a LOT of help from the Wings other IC's - they would send 'easy' missions my way, to run as a IC(t), until they thought I was ready.  Then they threw me to the Wolves!!!    IC is demanding and fun and like everyone else I hate WMIRS.....