Response Time, etc.

Started by alice, October 19, 2007, 10:05:01 PM

alice

I plowed through the drama-thread about "FOUR ACFT LEAVING CAWG!!!" and wanted to thank Keith Stason and Paul Reed for their adult comments.

I lost count of the number of "interesting" non-facts and unfounded accusations and for kicks started my own list of "related" issues.

First, thank heaven CAWG has new leadership which has started to reimburse pilots and others unpaid since last April through very recently.

Second, come February 2009 when Cospas-Sarsat shuts down the 121.5 MHz orbiting repeaters, CAP and all other responders' "response" time is going to the toilet for C91 and C91A ELTs.  Already thanks to the 121.5 satellite system degradation, the first pass might take 4+ hours.   More downed pilots and pax after Feburary 2009 awaiting rescue are going to die.... unless CAP gets in the business **now** of encouraging a "Switch to 406" campaign for all ELTs starting with our own acft fleet.  Anyone care to tell the rest of us how many CAP acft have 406 ELTs now? And if we will be 100% retrofitted before February 2009?

Third, too many people are fixated on the Internet for ES ops.  Only about once a year do I now get a telephone alert for an ELT search.  (And yes, I have done those go-out-at-1AM false alarms at my local airports.)

Fourth, under California state law, SAR is sheriffs' jurisdiction but Cal OES per mutual aid agreements with those sheriffs can delegate SAR lead to CAWG for multi-county searches when those sheriffs allow that and for single-county, too when the respective sheriff wants CAP help.  AFRCC can't do squat in SAR in California - and all other states -  but for what it is expressly allowed to do under its MOU with each sovereign state.    All SAR missions for CAWG have to have both an OES mission number (per state law and MOUs allowing CAP to do SAR here) and the AFRCC mission number (to authorize  CAP members' fed instrumentality status and fed funds.)   Technically, AFRCC does not "task" CAP for SAR, just the States and the sheriffs who've delegated to OES do.  All AFRCC really does is "coordinate" federal SAR response.

-Alice

Alice Mansell, LtCol CAP

bosshawk

Alice: a partial answer to one of your questions: how many CAP aircraft have 406 ELTs.  I believe that all of the new Cessnas come with the 406.  I do know that the DOAM in CAWG has an ongoing campaign to install the 406s in the existing aircraft: the 206 that I fly out of Castle has had one for several years.  Expensive little deals, so that will be a huge deterent to most aircraft owners.  When asked, they usually can't give you an answer to how much value they put on their lives.
Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

Nomex Maximus

Geez, I sure miss flying out of Castle... it was my favorite spot to fly to when I lived in California...
Nomex Tiberius Maximus
2dLT, MS, MO, TMP and MP-T
an inspiration to all cadets
My Theme Song

PHall

Talking about 406MHz Beacons. How many pilots or even ground team types own a 406MHz PRB?
I carry one in my survival vest when I fly or even when I'm out in the boonies.

bosshawk

PHall: that is an excellent suggestion for everyone to consider.  Now, do a survey to see how many are willing to cough up the thin bills to buy one.  Much cheaper and easier to rely on the organization to put them in the Corporate airplanes.  I, personally, have been waiting for the price to come down and then one goes into my plane.
Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

PHall

Quote from: Nomex Maximus on October 20, 2007, 02:06:11 AM
Geez, I sure miss flying out of Castle... it was my favorite spot to fly to when I lived in California...

Well, considering that the only times I flew out of Castle I was in a school (Boom IQC and CFIC), I don't have a bunch of warm fuzzies for the place.
Being under the gun every time you fly kinda takes the fun out of it!