New External AeroEd Program

Started by NIN, October 15, 2007, 06:26:03 PM

NIN

http://www.cap.gov/index.cfm?fuseaction=display&nodeID=6192&newsID=3622&year=2007&month=10

QuoteCAP Jr. Cadet Program readies national launch in Ala.
Celebration scheduled for Oct. 26

October 15, 2007

NATIONAL HEADQUARTERS – The proven character-building power of the Civil Air Patrol's Cadet Program for 12-to-21-year-olds has been expanded to include a Junior Cadet Program for elementary school-aged children nationwide.

A "liftoff" celebration for the new Junior Cadet pilot program is set 10 a.m. Oct. 26 at Boaz High School's football stadium in Boaz, Ala.  National, state and local dignitaries, including Gov. Bob Riley, have been invited to attend.

The celebration will feature:

• A CAP aircraft fly-in
  • An Air National Guard F-16 flyover.
  • Parachute entry of "Cappy," the Junior Cadet mascot.
  • A proclamation presentation.
  • A hot air balloon lift-off.
  • Model rocket launches. 

Boaz kindergarten, primary and intermediate schools are among 10 Alabama schools participating in the Junior Cadet pilot program.

About 300 teachers and 7,000 students in 20 public, private and parochial schools in Alabama and seven other states -- Florida, Pennsylvania, Colorado, Puerto Rico, Georgia, Nevada and Arizona -- are field testing the program this fall. The Junior Cadet Program will be available to all elementary schools in fall 2008.

The Junior Cadet Program will provide elementary students an introduction to vital life skills -- character education, academics with an aerospace emphasis, leadership opportunities and physical fitness. Designed by educators, it incorporates fun, hands-on activities with national standards-based lesson plans that can be integrated throughout the curriculum.   

The program augments CAP's School Enrichment Program for  middle and high school students that was introduced in Boaz schools three years ago. In that short period of time, the CAP program has contributed to Boaz middle school's move from near the bottom to fourth in the state in academic achievement.   

CAP's School Enrichment Program "for America's middle and high schools is playing a major role in improving student opportunity and responsibility nationwide," said Col. Al Applebaum, the program's director. "Teachers report better attendance, better test scores and lower incidence of behavioral problems." 

"Through the influence of this achievement-oriented program, students become more respectful, motivated, and goal-oriented as citizens and future leaders," said Susan Mallett, School Enrichment Program manager.   

The School Enrichment Program is also credited with expanding the horizons of students in rural areas, where agricultural-related jobs dominate the economic environment.

"These kids have never had the opportunity to be exposed to aviation the way they have since implementation of the CAP youth program," said Randall Haney, Boaz's assistant superintendent. "These young people now have an expectation to be involved in the aerospace developments of the future."   

Leland Dishman, Boaz City School System superintendent, welcomes the addition of the Junior Cadet Program. 

"I'm glad to be a part of this pilot program," said Dishman, who said the program will create a seamless venue for character development among students in grades kindergarten through 12th grade.

"The School Enrichment Program has allowed young people who were looking for something in which to belong an avenue to belong to something bigger than themselves, and they feel really good about themselves once they participate," he said.  "I'm hopeful what we've done here in Boaz will expand across this great nation."

"We have top-end kids, and we want them to have top-end opportunities in the aerospace and aviation industry,"  Dishman said. "We think once our kids see what they can do and what kind of lifestyle they can have, we'll have a complete paradigm shift in attitude."

Discuss. And yes, its in the Aero Ed forum for a reason...

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

BillB

About three years ago The SER Commander gave an OK to am expermental program for pre-teens. It basically was the Eaglet program of the 1960's, updated. The new Eaglet program was tried in a small unit in north east Florida to find problems and advantages of 10-12 year old involvement in the cadet program. The Eaglets wore an air force style shirt with just a black name tag with last name and CAP EAGLET on it along with blue jeans. No other insignia was authorized.
One of the problems was the Eaglets weren't allowed to take O-rides along with the cadets. Eaglets took part in regular cadet meet ing activities and training. But overall the limited experiment turned out well.
The 1960's program was not designed for schools but rather was to introduce the pre-teens to CAP.
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

RiverAux

Is there any basis for this new program in current CAP regulations?  I'm not claiming it is "illegal", just curious. 

IceNine

I don't see where there would be any contradiction because this is not a full grown project yet.  The PR says that it is a pilot..aka experiment.  The only way our reg's get changed is when there is an issue that get's addressed, tested and voted upon. 

I am all for trying new things, expanding the program etc.  And I will retract the following statement should I be proven wrong. 

I just don't see where the support for this program is going to come from.  I don't foresee that there will be all that many schools that embrace this, so I think it will flop.  Yes it can work in an isolated environment but much like the middle school intitive I think we will wind up with maybe a dozen or so programs throughout the country.
"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

RiverAux

QuoteI don't see where there would be any contradiction because this is not a full grown project yet. 

I'm not saying there is a contradiction, just wondering exactly how it squares with our regulations.  For example, we are apparently calling this a "Junior Cadet" program.  Are these Junior cadets actually joining CAP?  Participating in CAP activities?  Do rules for senior conduct around cadets apply to "Junior Cadets"?  Are they wearing uniforms of some kind with CAP insignia on them?

QuoteThe PR says that it is a pilot..aka experiment.  The only way our reg's get changed is when there is an issue that get's addressed, tested and voted upon. 
Just because it is a pilot program does not mean that existing CAP regulations don't apply.   I can't start a pilot program that does something prohibited by CAP regulations and get away with it just because it is a "pilot program".  I'm not saying that they're violating CAP regulations, just wondering what the heck is going on. 

BillB

For the expermental program in Florida, we could find no regulations that prohibited it. The Eaglets did not wear uniforms that were Air Force style, the only insignia was the name tag. The activities they took part in were mainly classroom training and D&C. A modified CAPF 15 was made up requiring parental OK for the training releasing CAP from any liability. And no dues were charged.
Because of the liability problem, the Eaglets were limited to activities and more senior involvement was required. Eaglets would have formed their own flight in formations if enough had taken part, but that wasn't the case. That idea was to keep them in their own peer group. In classroom situations, the Eaglets did as well as older cadets in all aspects of training.
However the limitation on Eaglets getting O-rides or taking part in bivouacs or overnight training was found to be a negative aspect of the Eaglet program. I was Project Officer the the experiment, and the program basically followed the much older Eaglet program that was in place. A nationawide new program would require a new regulation authorizing Eaglets and set up limitations or activities authorized.
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

Lancer

I for one do not understand the underlying apprehension and wariness from some of the members of this and other forums regarding this program. We all seem to bemoan the fact that we're tired of being 'America's best kept secret' and how our membership numbers are down.
Yet here we have a program, that is school based, does not directly involve the regular membership (unless they want to be, I'm sure) and grooms children to be the prospective cadets we all wished would walk through our meeting room doors.

I'm happy to see the effort being made to spread the awareness of CAP and our AE program and everyone else should be as well.

DrDave

How does our current Cadet Protection Program Training affect this new pilot program?

They're technically not cadets, right?

Dr. Dave
Lt. Col. (Dr.) David A. Miller
Director of Public Affairs
Missouri Wing
NCR-MO-098

"You'll feel a slight pressure ..."

sjtrupp

This is a continuation of the program developed in Philadelphia, PA. There was an article in the Volunteer back in January. 

http://www.capchannel.com/volunteer_magazine

Most of the questions posed so far could be answered by reading the article. 

NIN

Quote from: DrDave on October 16, 2007, 02:12:43 PM
How does our current Cadet Protection Program Training affect this new pilot program?

They're technically not cadets, right?

Hence the reason this is posted in Aero Ed
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

John Bryan

I think the idea is excellent. Most national youth programs have jr programs for young kids......Boy Scouts have Cub Scouts, Girl Scouts have Brownies, Sea Cadets have Navy League Cadets.....So why not CAP

I hope this grows beyond AE and the Schools program and into the local squadrons.

mikeylikey

The only draw back is that Wings will drop the money on this program.  Already PAWG drops $150,000-200,000 to the school program JUST IN PHILY, with half of that going toward the "Pre-Cadet" program.  NOT A SINGLE CADET has moved on from "pre-Cadet" to the school program. 

In my opinion it is a waste of valuable resources if these kids don't become full fledged CAP cadets.  Let JROTC have at em! 

PLUS they are getting more advantages and opportunities than a REGULAR 13 year old cadet can receive.  Perhaps it is just PAWG......but the former Wing King is the driving force on this "Pre-Cadet" program, so I am sure we will see it take off just like in PAWG.

What's up monkeys?

Pylon

Quote from: mikeylikey on October 22, 2007, 02:54:12 AM
In my opinion it is a waste of valuable resources if these kids don't become full fledged CAP cadets.  Let JROTC have at em!

So our third Aerospace Education mission is a valuable and worthwhile mission to spend time and money on only if it generates cadet recruits?   ???

Our external Aerospace Education mission is not just a recruiting tool for the Cadet Program.  It is a legitimate, full-fledged mission of Civil Air Patrol that we are supposed to be carrying out for the American public.

Nobody complains when we spend time and money making ES saves and the rescued pilots or search objectives don't become senior members.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

NIN

I was at a meeting last week where this was announced to the membership and the representation (at that point) was that it will be great to see "these kids march around and salute and stuff.."  (clearly, that is not the focus of this Junior Cadet program.. its AE centric and from what I understand, it involves nearly no "cadet skills")

So either the program has a different focus that we're being told, or the field is not "getting the message" about what this program really is.  I'm inclined to believe the latter.

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP

NIN

The only draw back is that Wings will drop the money on this program.  Already PAWG drops $150,000-200,000 to the school program JUST IN PHILY, with half of that going toward the "Pre-Cadet" program.  NOT A SINGLE CADET has moved on from "pre-Cadet" to the school program. 

Yikes.

Where did you get your information on what PA Wing spends?  I'm curious to see how accurate that is, and if it is, where the hell are they getting that kind of scratch from?  Grants?

That's a LOT of coin.    A lot of coin that, depending on its source, obviously, could potentially be spent on things that more directly enhance the three core missions of the organization (and not our other three missions: Safety, Wreaths Across America, and CISM... ;D)

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP

mikeylikey

^  The program itslef is not AE.....it may have some AE in it, but the focus of the program is RECRUITING.  I know people do not want to hear that.  I have seen it first hand in PAWG......they put these kids in blue shirts and show them what "can" happen if they join when they turn 12.  It could be a great program, but is starting out not so great
What's up monkeys?

mikeylikey

Quote from: NIN on October 22, 2007, 01:33:38 PM

Yikes.

Where did you get your information on what PA Wing spends?  I'm curious to see how accurate that is, and if it is, where the hell are they getting that kind of scratch from?  Grants?

That's a LOT of coin.    A lot of coin that, depending on its source, obviously, could potentially be spent on things that more directly enhance the three core missions of the organization (and not our other three missions: Safety, Wreaths Across America, and CISM... ;D)

PAWG just released it prior-year Financial.  (after a lawyer got involved).  Anyone that wants a copy please call the Wing Administrator there. 

They got $550,000 from the state, another $120,000 from donations and a few grants and the Philly school system is giving into the school program (slightly).  They also receive some of the most NHQ provided funds.
What's up monkeys?

Maj Ballard

Quote from: mfd1506 on October 16, 2007, 02:50:41 AM
I just don't see where the support for this program is going to come from.  I don't foresee that there will be all that many schools that embrace this, so I think it will flop.  Yes it can work in an isolated environment but much like the middle school intitive I think we will wind up with maybe a dozen or so programs throughout the country.

Actually Florida Wing alone currently has six squadrons in its middle-school-only "Group 800." Several more over the last several years have transitioned from Group 800 to regular geographic groups. I'm not sure of the exact total of successful middle school units in our Wing. My point is, I'm sure there are more than a "dozen or so" programs in the whole nation.
L. Ballard, Major, CAP

RiverAux

I think the fact that several folks who are a lot closer to this program than the rest of us disagree over what its purpose is shows that my earlier question about regulation issues was at least partially valid -- with no apparent plan or regulation addressing the program it seems to be ready to veer off into all sorts of different directions...

dogboy

You'll recall months ago there was an article in CAP Volunteer about an experimental program for ELEMENTARY school kids as CAP Cadets. Here is a newspaper article stating that the experiment will now be done in 10 schools including Boaz, Alabama.

http://www.sandmountainreporter.com/story.lasso?ewcd=98b41f4e071872bf

Frankly, IMHO, this is repulsive. A quasi-military program has no place in it for young children. Good citizenship is one thing, quasi-military programs for 5 year olds sounds like something from a totalitarian state.

Further, I think it will drive Cadets OUT OF the program. What 17 year old wants to be in a program that includes 5 year olds?  Already, Cadets drop out because the program is viewed as "kid stuff" because there are 12 year olds in it.

What particular expertise in child development does CAP have that makes National think that we would be any good at this anyway?

The solution to declining membership is better programs, not bringing in Cub Scout age Cadets.

I would like to know who is behind this unbelievably stupid and inappropriate program.

By Elizabeth Summers
The Reporter   

Published October 27, 2007

Boaz High School was host to Civil Air Patrol officials as they lifted off a new nationwide Civil Air Patrol junior cadet program Friday.

The program, aimed at students ages 5 to 12 in elementary schools, will be field tested at Boaz and 10 other schools nationwide this year as a way to bring interest back into the Civil Air Patrol.