What course would you make?

Started by RiverAux, September 29, 2007, 05:05:52 AM

Major Lord

I helped put together a new course in CAWG over the last couple of years, The Cadet Survival Training School. We had our first real run-through during summer encampment, and it was, in a word, awesome! This was  primarily due to the high quality, real life instructors. The downside to a course like this is that it requires a continuing supply of current operators from a variety of fields to teach and run, as opposed to former attendees and interns, or S/M's just trying to teach from a manual.

I would caution anyone trying something new to ignore the whiners, C-squareds, and those who would try to force you to integrate all the failed experiences we have tried in the past. Look with fresh eyes! Also, you had better have a pretty thick skin, and a good admin staff. The CAP Barracks lawyers and gurus will tell you that anything new is illegal, fattening, against regulations, and that "they tried it back in 1972 and it did not work anyway"...These are the people who will argue for us to give futility its fair chance before trying to fix something.

Anything good comes from taking risks. If you have a new idea for a school, run with it until they beat you to the ground or until you cross the finish line.

Major Lord

"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."

Pericles

Do you guys in California have any interaction with the Marine Corps Cold Weather Survival School in Bridgeport, California?  They used to do mountain survival in the summer time, and it was an awesome course.  Seems like they would be more than willing to interact with cadets on the off chance that some of them were Marine material.

PA Guy

Quote from: Pericles on October 09, 2007, 07:15:07 PM
Do you guys in California have any interaction with the Marine Corps Cold Weather Survival School in Bridgeport, California?  They used to do mountain survival in the summer time, and it was an awesome course.  Seems like they would be more than willing to interact with cadets on the off chance that some of them were Marine material.

We have talked to them in the past but not much came of it. We had probs. coordinating schedules and the distance is a real prob.  The school is the best part of a days drive from the nearest CAP unit. There is a reason that all of their base housing comes standard with a deep freezer. That  place isn't close to anywhere.

Pericles

Quote from: PA Guy on October 09, 2007, 11:57:04 PM
Quote from: Pericles on October 09, 2007, 07:15:07 PM

We have talked to them in the past but not much came of it. We had probs. coordinating schedules and the distance is a real prob.  The school is the best part of a days drive from the nearest CAP unit. There is a reason that all of their base housing comes standard with a deep freezer. That  place isn't close to anywhere.

ROFLMAO

When I went there they took us to Nellis from the East Coast, and it was only a three day bus ride from Nellis. J/K  We had two weeks there, surviving in the mountains, and I gained three pounds.  My team was lucky enough to find a fresh mountain lion kill of a sheep, and we lived off of that.  I haven't really been able to enjoy mutton since then, even with mint jelly.  But it was an amazing experience, and well within the ability of a Level 3 or 4 cadet.  Even without the sheep.