National Commander's Suspension Coming to an end Sunday

Started by Skyray, September 27, 2007, 09:06:37 PM

flyguy06

Quote from: ♠Recruiter♠ on October 05, 2007, 03:20:48 AM
Quote from: flyguy06 on October 05, 2007, 03:17:54 AM
Quote from: JohnKachenmeister on October 05, 2007, 01:01:29 AM
I have a boring job, but one with internet access.

Title 18 United States Code, Chapter 33, Sec. 702:

"Whoever, in any place within the jurisdiction of the United States or in the Canal Zone, without authority, wears the uniform OR A DISTINCTIVE PART THEREOF or ANYTHING SIMILAR to a distinctive part of the uniform of any of the armed forces of the United States, Public Health Service, or ANY AUXILIARY OF SUCH, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than six months, or both."

This appears to protect both the USAF uniform and the TPU.

So, people who go to the local Army Navy store and buy BDU pants and wear cut off BDUs or BDU shirts are breaking the law? that also means that JROTC cadets are breaking the law. They are not really in the service. they ar ein High School. I have seen entertainers wear them in videos. Are they criminals as well?

But they don't wear anything that could be interpreted as military. Nothing to identify Army, Navy, Air Force, Marines, or any of the respective auxiliaries.

In his definition, it said wears the uniform OR A DISTINCTIVE PART THEREOF BDU pants are distinctive

lordmonar

"Whoever, in any place within the jurisdiction of the United States or in the Canal Zone, without authority, wears the uniform OR A DISTINCTIVE PART THEREOF or ANYTHING SIMILAR to a distinctive part of the uniform of any of the armed forces of the United States, Public Health Service, or ANY AUXILIARY OF SUCH, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than six months, or both."

So, people who go to the local Army Navy store and buy BDU pants and wear cut off BDUs or BDU shirts are breaking the law? that also means that JROTC cadets are breaking the law. They are not really in the service. they ar ein High School. I have seen entertainers wear them in videos. Are they criminals as well?

JROTC is specifically allowed to wear the uniforms, as is anyone so designated by the service secretaries.

Actors are also specifically exempt from this law.

But generally speaking...yes....all those Bubbas who buy and wear military uniforms and their distinctive parts are in fact breaking the law.

But that is just another one of those un-enforceable laws.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

topsecret

Quote from: flyguy06 on October 05, 2007, 04:48:54 AM
Quote from: ♠Recruiter♠ on October 05, 2007, 03:20:48 AM

But they don't wear anything that could be interpreted as military. Nothing to identify Army, Navy, Air Force, Marines, or any of the respective auxiliaries.

In his definition, it said wears the uniform OR A DISTINCTIVE PART THEREOF BDU pants are distinctive

No, BDU pants are not distinctive.  The BDU shirt is not distinctive until you add CAP insignia.  I've seen Air Force commissaries where the baggers wore the light blue USAF shirt.  Unless they slap Air Force or CAP insignia on that shirt, they're fine.

We had a really dirtbag Air Force 2d Lt when I was active duty, who would remove his grade insignia and nametag from his blue shirt, slap on a ball cap and declare himself "in civilian clothes" because he no longer wore distinctive insignia.  Correct, but a stunningly poor example for an officer to set.  One of the few O-1's I ever saw who was declared not qualified for promotion to O-2, as well.

JCJ

Quote from: JohnKachenmeister on October 05, 2007, 01:41:52 AM
Google for the section.

Title 18 USC, Chapter 33, Section 702.

If you read the whole chapter you can also go to jail for an illegal depiction of Smokey The Bear.

(sigh) it's "Smokey Bear", not "Smokey the Bear".  You wouldn't say "Easter the Bunny" would you?

:-)

CAP_truth

If we want why not start another tread about the who can and can not wear uniforms or any part of it. If you want discuss the wearing of uniforms with vets on the fourth of July, members of the VFW or Am. Leg. members who wear their uniform badges on their hats at fund raisers's or a MoH recipients who goes on TV wearing his medal. What TP wears or does not wear does not matter to us any more.
Cadet CoP
Wilson

JohnKachenmeister

I do not think a court would consider the BDU camouflage patter to be sufficiently "Distinctive" to fall under this law, provided that the wearer did not adorn the uniform with any military insignia.

JROTC cadets are authorized to wear the military uniform with special insignia.  Just like us and just like our cadets.

There is an exception in the law later on, in a follow-on section, for theatrical performances.
Another former CAP officer

MIKE

Mike Johnston

JC004

Quote from: JCJ on October 05, 2007, 01:11:20 PM
(sigh) it's "Smokey Bear", not "Smokey the Bear".  You wouldn't say "Easter the Bunny" would you?

:-)

but Smokey is the name of a bear and Easter is a type of bunny   :P

JohnKachenmeister

Quote from: USCAP_truth on October 05, 2007, 01:31:54 PM
If we want why not start another tread about the who can and can not wear uniforms or any part of it. If you want discuss the wearing of uniforms with vets on the fourth of July, members of the VFW or Am. Leg. members who wear their uniform badges on their hats at fund raisers's or a MoH recipients who goes on TV wearing his medal. What TP wears or does not wear does not matter to us any more.

"Members of military societies" can wear uniform insignia that they have earned.  Medal of Honor recipients may wear the Medal in the shower if they want to.

What TP wears is, of course, no longer an issue unless something he does, says, or wears affects CAP.  

There were questions about exactly what the law is with respect to military uniforms, and I myself did not know if the TPU came under the protections of that same federal law, so I looked it up.

Also, I had nothing else to do at work.
Another former CAP officer