CAP Members & Interactions with the Public

Started by Pylon, September 12, 2007, 04:29:32 PM

SJESOFFICER

TO Civilian_Pilot:

As part of the search and rescue mission for Mr. Fosset and I was their personally.  I can say this without a doubt in no way did that attitude or personallity hinder our efforts to do our job.  Things may be stressful at times and attitudes might grind but we still work together to get the job done. However, his words I dont approve of their wasn't a time he or I wasn't putting in a 120% (and also all search areas where coordinated with each agency so no one place was missed). Our mission reccords speak for themselves... please dont judge CAP on individual attitudes but the work as a team we put forth... and what cant break you makes you stronger so thank you for your concerns, I hope in general as a person, team, or sar base we learn from our mistakes.
Sincerely,
B.G
1 LT Brendan Gadd
San Jose Sqd 80, CAWG
Emergency Services Officer

A.Member

Quote from: Dragoon on September 14, 2007, 02:24:38 PM
Training is nice, but for many of our members, level 1 was 20 years ago. We don't require recurrency training.
I disagree.  Some of those members are the greatest in need.
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

Civilian_Pilot

Interactions with the public are important for any organization.

http://captalk.net/index.php?topic=3016.0

Above is an example of how to showcase the immaturity of CAP.

Every CAP member really ought to take a look at it because the attitudes displayed do nothing but destroy the credibility of the organization.

Dragoon

You overstate your case.

At best, your citation shows the "immaturity" of a handful of members. (course, I'm not even sure it shows THAT)

But even so, that's very different than claiming it is proof of "the immaturity of CAP."  You have a looooooooong way to go to make that case.

Hope on to boards at military.com and you'll end up with the same low opinion of USA, USMC, USAF and USN.  That is, if you take the casual comments of a handful of members as the truth across the entire organization.

Dragoon

Quote from: A.Member on September 20, 2007, 02:48:02 AM
Quote from: Dragoon on September 14, 2007, 02:24:38 PM
Training is nice, but for many of our members, level 1 was 20 years ago. We don't require recurrency training.
I disagree.  Some of those members are the greatest in need.

Actually we're in agreement.  What I meant was:

"We don't require recurrency training.  But we SHOULD."

BillB

What is there in Level 1 that a 20 year member of CAP would require recurrency training for? To learn what a gold oak leaf stands for? He's probably wearing one. Experience is the best teacher so the saying goes, and level 1 is so very basic the member has lived with it for those 20 years. Any member during a SAR activity should know to refer people to the PAO or IC, and that's not covered in Level 1. And in the case in question, I've seen various different reports with conflicting facts so as I was a reader could not make a decision.
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104