Main Menu

Jetstream replacemnet

Started by eaglefly, September 09, 2007, 07:43:59 PM

eaglefly

Does anyone have a source for a replacement for the Jetstream radios that Radio Shack used to sell?   I've tried HRO & AES, no joy on anything my cadets can afford.

ZigZag911

I was told about a year ago that Radio Shack was carrying something roughly equivalent to the Jetstream....did not pursue, since my ancient JS still works, wouldn't trade it for anything!

Stonewall

Yeah, man.  Radio Shack still caries them, they're just not called JetStreams anymore.  I bought 3 at about $19 a few years ago and I saw them still in the store about 3 weeks ago.

Just go in there and look around, you'll find them.  I saw them near the alarm clocks.

I just did a search on Radio Shack's website and no joy.  But I remember not being able to find them online a few years ago either, but they're in the store.
Serving since 1987.

JC004

Sarge

Wow! That RadioShack CEO is one funny guy! Especially the line about making you feel "vaguely depressed" when going to a Radio Shack! I was laughing aloud! I think we should draft him to be the next CAP Natl CC! What a great sense of humor! Much funnier than some shadowy self important cop at the helm! We ALL could use a bit of levity in CAP...and apparently Tandy Co. likes him too! I urge all of you to read Gen Colgan's link he posted! It made my night!

An anonymous Squadron CC
C/WO (Ret) Mitchell lost at NHQ
Lt Col, USCAP
SMSgt,USAF

♠SARKID♠

Ha ha, me and one of my officers made a run to radioshack during EAA this year and I have to agree with the CEO.  We had to go in to get a replacement DC car adapter to fix a radio in our van (it was motorboating).  When we got there though the sales reps saw us in our BDUs, looked at us, looked at their customers, looked at us again, and prayed we weren't an invasionary force.

dougsnow

Quote from: ♠SARKID♠ on September 10, 2007, 03:39:29 AM
When we got there though the sales reps saw us in our BDUs, looked at us, looked at their customers, looked at us again, and prayed we weren't an invasionary force.

Just be happy you werent Marines - the new CMC just recently made an edict forbidding any Marine from wearing BDUs anywhere except at home, and on base - no civilian stops in BDUs AT ALL except for emergencies, and running out of gas isnt an emergency.

Tubacap

So what was the name and/or model number of the replacement radio you got for $19?
William Schlosser, Major CAP
NER-PA-001

Stonewall

I'm in Savannah on orders through the end of September.  Sorry, but it won't be until the end of the month before I get a chance to look at it again.

EDIT:  Wait, I think I have one in m E&E kit in my car.  If so, I'll check it out after dinner.  And now that I think about it, I think it was $29.99, not $19.
Serving since 1987.

Stonewall

Okay, I did in fact have my current "jetstream" in my E&E kit...

It's called a Radio Shack Multi-Band Radio.  Catalog number 12-817

Frequency Range:
AM 530 - 1710 kHz
FM 88-108 MHz
TV1 59-88 MHz (CH2-6)
TV1 178-217 MHz (CH7-13)
AIR 108-135 MHz

Power: 3 "AA" Batteris or
Adapter: 4.5 DC, 150mA, Plug Type M

Yep, made in China, this must be it.
Serving since 1987.

eaglefly

Hey, Thanks for the information.  That is just what I need for my Cadets. 

Stonewall

I hear ya clickin big chicken...  But I searched the Radio Shack site and couldn't find this little thing.

I'm sure, about a month ago or so, I saw them in the store.  And thinking back, I don't think I saw them online in 2003 when I bought them, had to go in the store and the computer geek with tape holding his glasses together couldn't find anything in his database either.

If you don't find it in one store, go to another.  I think I went to several stores back then and some didn't have it, while others had them stocked.
Serving since 1987.