BG Courter as Acting CAP/CC?

Started by RogueLeader, September 06, 2007, 07:58:08 PM

RogueLeader

It has been mentioned that BG Courter has been appointed as Acting CAP/CC.  I have not seen any official announcement to that effect.  I thought that she just had the duties of CAP/CC.  Can anybody help?
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

CadetProgramGuy

Press release.....

MONTGOMERY, Ala. (AP) - The Civil Air Patrol has suspended its national commander after investigating allegations that another patrol member took Air Force exams for him, a patrol official said.

The suspension of Maj. Gen. Antonio "Tony" Pineda resulted from a special board meeting Sunday, at which members received an inspector general's report about the allegations, the board's chairman, Maj. Gen. Richard Bowling, said. The report was not made public.

The suspension will be for up to six months while the board determines its final decision in the matter, Bowling said Tuesday. During the suspension, Pineda is prohibited from contacting patrol members.

Pineda said Wednesday that the suspension is unjustified and that he has hired a lawyer to fight it.

"I've never cheated on any test in my life," he said in a telephone interview.

The Civil Air Patrol's vice commander, Brig Gen. Amy S. Courter, has assumed the duties of national commander.

The Civil Air Patrol is an Air Force auxiliary best known for conducting volunteer search-and-rescue missions. Its other operations include aviation programs for young people. The patrol has 55,000 volunteers throughout the country, including the commander, and a paid staff of 100.

The patrol's inspector general announced in December that an investigation had begun into allegations that a patrol member took exams for Pineda in 2002 and 2003, allowing Pineda to complete courses at the Air Force's Air Command and Staff College.

The college and the patrol's national headquarters are at Maxwell Air Force Base in Montgomery.

The investigation began after another patrol member, Lt. Col. Raymond Hayden of Tamarac, Fla., complained that Pineda had assigned him to take his exams, officials said.

Contacted Wednesday, Hayden said he spent three hours with the inspector general and was not surprised by the suspension. "I knew it was coming down," said Hayden, no longer a member of the patrol.

Pineda accused Hayden of filed the complaint in retaliation for not stopping a patrol investigation of him.

Copyright 2007 The Associated Press. The information contained in the AP news report may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or otherwise distributed without the prior written authority of The Associated Press. All active hyperlinks have been inserted by AOL.

MIKE

Mike Johnston

IceNine

I wish I had half of Midway Six's resources!

Thanks for the claryification
"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

RogueLeader

Same here, because all I heard was that she assumed the duties, not the position.  Thank you.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

JC004

Quote from: MIKE on September 06, 2007, 08:52:54 PM
Also:  Brig Gen  Pet peeve.

Effective immediately, the CAP sword will be used on those who abbreviate grades incorrectly (also, will someone tell me why abbreviate is such a long word?)

ZigZag911

Quote from: JC004 on September 07, 2007, 03:40:14 PM
Quote from: MIKE on September 06, 2007, 08:52:54 PM
Also:  Brig Gen  Pet peeve.

Effective immediately, the CAP sword will be used on those who abbreviate grades incorrectly (also, will someone tell me why abbreviate is such a long word?)

Because it is an oxymoron, like 'military intelligence' and 'jumbo shrimp'!

Skyray

QuoteBecause it is an oxymoron, like 'military intelligence' and 'jumbo shrimp'!

You forgot Business Ethics.
Doug Johnson - Miami

Always Active-Sometimes a Member

a2capt

Well, the curious part is that the original communications stressed that BG Courter was not 'Acting CC', but rather that the regs state that when the CC is not available the vice assumes the duties of, not the title.

(Note, I am not citing regs as I do not have immediate knowledge of them, rather just what the releases implied)

They were even very explicit about it. But a few days later out comes a memo signed 'Acting CC'. so..

Tubacap

William Schlosser, Major CAP
NER-PA-001

Skyray

Doug Johnson - Miami

JohnKachenmeister

I THINK that she was not officially "Acting" until the NB approved her to do so. 
Another former CAP officer

RogueLeader

According to the attached order^^^ from above, the Date is 6 August 2007.  It wasn't announced until 8 August.  It was after 8 August that we were told that Brig Gen Courter was not Acting CAP/CC, but according to the personnel action she really was.

Quote from: Tubacap on September 07, 2007, 07:12:31 PM
Does it matter?

To our Operations? No.  To my faith in being dealt honestly?  You better believe it!! I do not believe that this is some conspiracy as some may think, but that its just a way to prevent feelings from being hurt even more.  Is it likely, or probable- I don't know and don't care.  I just want to be dealt with honestly. YMMV
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

docspur

Quote from: CadetProgramGuy on September 06, 2007, 08:06:09 PM
Press release.....

blah blah blah deleted...

Copyright 2007 The Associated Press. The information contained in the AP news report may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or otherwise distributed without the prior written authority of The Associated Press. All active hyperlinks have been inserted by AOL.

Interesting that you would break Copyright Protection laws by posting the article...and actually post the Copyright in your post.

Unless, of course, you did obtain written permission? hmmm?

Capt DL Spurlock, Commander
NCR-MO-127 - Trail of Tears Composite Squadron

Group IV Safety Officer
Missouri Wing

Skyray

First of all, you guys are talking about an extremely complex area of the law.  My personal opinion is that the AP cannot claim copyright in an article that was written as a press release by someone else.  Second, in spite of the occasional deviation from rigorous academic standards, this discussion qualifies as an educational debate.  Citations from authority are "fair use" in educational debate.  The only way to really sort this out is if the AP decides to sue to enforce their "copyright."

What is going on in Missouri?  I am getting an inordinate amount of static out of Missouri with regard to the ongoing investigation.
Doug Johnson - Miami

docspur

Quote from: Skyray on September 08, 2007, 05:04:38 PM
First of all, you guys are talking about an extremely complex area of the law.  My personal opinion is that the AP cannot claim copyright in an article that was written as a press release by someone else.  Second, in spite of the occasional deviation from rigorous academic standards, this discussion qualifies as an educational debate.  Citations from authority are "fair use" in educational debate.  The only way to really sort this out is if the AP decides to sue to enforce their "copyright."

Not complex at all.  Since I work in the area of reproduction (ie...Fedex Kinkos) we face Copyright Protection every day.  If someone has copyrighted something, a picture, an article, whatever... you cannot use it without permission.  Doesn't matter if you use it for education/acedemic purposes or not.  No ifs, ands, or buts about it.

Actually had a student that did a paper for one of our fine universities in St Louis that wanted it printed out and bound for his class presentation.  The paper was on Fedex Kinkos and actually had our company logo on the front.  Imagine his surprise that we refused to print his paper.  "But its for school!"  So? 

What is going on in Missouri?  I am getting an inordinate amount of static out of Missouri with regard to the ongoing investigation.

hmmm, get me in private and we'll talk about it out of this thread.

Capt DL Spurlock, Commander
NCR-MO-127 - Trail of Tears Composite Squadron

Group IV Safety Officer
Missouri Wing

Skyray

QuoteActually had a student that did a paper for one of our fine universities in St Louis that wanted it printed out and bound for his class presentation.  The paper was on Fedex Kinkos and actually had our company logo on the front.  Imagine his surprise that we refused to print his paper.  "But its for school!"  So? 

My opinion is that using your company logo was a violation of your copyright in that logo.  You were within your rights not to copy it, and you could have made him remove it from his paper.  However, assuming he wrote the paper, he owns the copyright in the paper, and you are lucky he didn't find some intellectual property lawyer to bust your chops.

Some years ago I was the subject of an article in a national magazine, and they sent a photographer to illustrate the article.  He subsequently sent me copies of the pictures, and imagine my surprise to learn that even though the pictures were of me, I had to have a release to have them printed.  The photographer owns the image, in spite of the fact that there was no model release.  That's what I meant by a complex area of the law.
Doug Johnson - Miami

MIKE

I think we can agree that copying and pasting the entire article is a bad idea... and you should link to it instead as is the generally accepted practice.  If someone can provide the link, I will delete the associated text.

Lets not drag this off topic with a discussion of copyright law.
Mike Johnston

CadetProgramGuy

To those that got bent about posting copyrighted material...Sorry.  I will take my CAP sword schlackings....

The Link where I found the story is no longer active.  Of you all wish for my massively large article to disapear, go right on ahead.

PHall

The order that made Brig Gen Courter the Acting National Commander is Personnel Action Number NHQ 86, dated 6 August 2007.