So how many Pilots are there in CAP???

Started by Nomex Maximus, September 03, 2007, 10:40:07 PM

flyguy06

I just recently became a Form 5 pilot. I am not interested in being a mission pilot righ tnow. I just want to give O-rides and provide flight training to cadets. I think we are loosing pilots becaus eit can be a hassel  just to get qualiofied and then schedule. Youhave to get a flight rlease, then you have to eneter the flight into WMIRS. Its a lot easier to go out and rent a plane at an FBO but of course its a lot cheaper in CAP. I like being in CAP but Idont like all the red tape.

Larry Mangum

There has been a general decline in both form 5 and mission pilots within the last 4 to 5 years across the nation.  In 2003 Washington Wing has almost a 100 form 5 pilots and about 56 mission pilots.  Today we have 58 pilots with a cap pilot rating  of which only 31 have current form 5's and 30 mission pilots.  Reasons given for not maintaining their ratings or drooping out include:

1. To many requirements put on them due to the change from 50-15 to 60-3. I need to search for old capwatch databases to find out if reason no 1 is really valid, and in any case should not be valid for anyone who joined since 2004. 

2. To many state requirements.   This issue is being examined closely and we are working with the state to clarify member concerns.

3. Not utilized.  SAR mission have declined with the advent of the 406 beacons, however DR and HLS missions have increased. What did happen was the wing in the period from 2004 to 2006 stopped holding SAR/DR exercises and concentrated on aircrew schools to the detriment of people who were already qualified.  In addition if you were not a "graduate" of the schools, they did not call upon your services. This has been stopped.

4. Lost medical. Not much we can do about this.

As you can see there are a myriad of reasons for the decline in mission and form 5 pilots within Washington. We are working to resolve as many of the issues as we can and it has not been easy as most of the changes require a culture shift and many people resent and oppose change.  WE are not going completely away from schools nor going to just sarex's; instead we hope to provide aircrew ground schools for scanners, observers and mission pilots and then hold SAR/DR/HLS exercises  where they can complete the rating requirements.

Larry Mangum, Lt Col CAP
DCS, Operations
SWR-SWR-001

wingnut

WELL

GUYS I KNOW OF PILOTS IN CAWG WHO HAVE NOT BEEN PAID FOR MISSIONS SINCE MARCH 2007, lets see, march, April, May , June, July, August, September,
October.

SO  do you think its true THAT PILOTS ARE NOT FLYING OR QUITING BECAUSE THEY ARE NOT GETTING REIMBURRESED(THATS PAID TO LOAN MONEY TO THE AIR FORCE FOR FREE)

I know at least 5 pilots who paid over 4,000 in fuel bills for the FOSSET search. LETS SEE THAT WAS  when?? SHAME SHAME, an ABUSE OF CAP MEMBERS.

Maybe it should not be a blog but an AF  IG or Congressional

Nomex Maximus

I would think it would be time to call the AF OSI or IG about it.
Nomex Tiberius Maximus
2dLT, MS, MO, TMP and MP-T
an inspiration to all cadets
My Theme Song

BillB

Is this a result of the Wing Banker Program? Or is it a Wing Staff screwup?
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

flynd94

Its a result of a our last Wing/CC (Lt.Col Muniz). I am one of those pilots that hasn't been paid for mission since April.

In the town hall meeting we had with Col Myrick a couple weeks ago a lot was cleared up.  All of the Fossett mission 108's were processed and, sent into the AF.  They are now working on the back log.  CAWG hired a book keeper and, they expect to have all of the old missions done by end of this month.

Yes, it sucks  but, we had a lot of politics going on in CAWG.  Who are you going to file an IG Complaint against?  Our former CC who was removed for this and, a few more reasons?  I am just going to sit back and, trust what Col Myrick told us.

Now for the original question.  I am quite happy with where I am leaving my squadron.

2 years ago, when I took over as DOV, we were down to 3 CAP pilots and 2 MP's.  I now leave them with 10 CAP Pilots and 8 MP's.  The problem is that too many folks focus on the perceived roadblocks and, discourage members. 

It also helps that my old squadron was very heavy on ES side.  I am sad to be leaving behind a lot of outstanding pilots but, I am happy knowing that I am leaving them better off then when I got there.  It was nice having the support of my squadron CC and, it also doesn't hurt to ask folks what there goals are.  Then explain to them the time frame it takes to become a CAP Pilot, MS, MO or MP.  Being upfront is half the battle.  That way folks don't become discouraged with how long (or short) it takes.

With that said the search is on in the Houston area for a squadron that I will fit into.

Keith Stason, Maj, CAP
IC3, AOBD, GBD, PSC, OSC, MP, MO, MS, GTL, GTM3, UDF, MRO
Mission Check Pilot, Check Pilot