Need help on Senior member record keeping

Started by flyguy06, August 20, 2007, 06:07:12 PM

flyguy06

I need some advice. I need to update my Senior Member records. My Squadron doesnt have admin people, so I have basically been keepiong track of my own records but I nioticed ther eare holes. I am a CAP Captain since 2002. Yet I have never been officially awarded a membership, or leadership ribbon. I have a Senior rating in two specialty tracks but have never been awarded a silver or bronze star. I have completed the requirements for Level III. I dont really care about the promotion to Major but I do want the credit for completeing level III. Can I send in a a form to get awarded the past award pro rated or do I need to send it three seperate forms or do I need to just not worry about it and go from wher eI am now?

I have been a senior since 1989 (when I turned 21 from being a cadet) but like I said we have a small unit and no admin people. The Group also doesnt have any admin people. 
Thanks

afgeo4

Absolutely... fill out the form for awards/decorations and attach copy of evidence supporting. Whatever you have in your paper record. Print out what you can to support it from NHQ website as well. Send all that stuff to your next in command for approval and forwarding to NHQ.

I don't think they keep records for all awards/decorations (don't know why, I think it's not good that they don't), but... membership, ratings, and level 1, 2, and 3 will be recorded online. If you don't supporting material, then I think you'll probably have to re-do it all again because NHQ record keeping was never that good and they could make an argument for you becoming a captain through direct appointment without level 2 completion.

On the same note... anyone know why NHQ doesn't record things like "Find" ribbon, "Red Service" ribbon, "Unit Citation" ribbon and others online? If someone lost a member's service record it'd be nice to know that NHQ still knows what's authorized for the individual.
GEORGE LURYE

Skyray

For at least the last twenty years it has been prudent to keep your own 201 file with every certificate and award that you have earned.  This is a volunteer organization, and things get lost, whether deliberately or through poor accounting.  You would be amazed how many times I have been put in for something, had it turned down, and gotten it after I "proved" that I had done the prerequisites by sending them copies of the certificates.
Doug Johnson - Miami

Always Active-Sometimes a Member

jimmydeanno

Quote from: flyguy06 on August 20, 2007, 06:07:12 PM
I need some advice. I need to update my Senior Member records. My Squadron doesnt have admin people, so I have basically been keepiong track of my own records but I nioticed ther eare holes. I am a CAP Captain since 2002. Yet I have never been officially awarded a membership, or leadership ribbon. I have a Senior rating in two specialty tracks but have never been awarded a silver or bronze star. I have completed the requirements for Level III. I dont really care about the promotion to Major but I do want the credit for completeing level III. Can I send in a a form to get awarded the past award pro rated or do I need to send it three seperate forms or do I need to just not worry about it and go from wher eI am now?

I have been a senior since 1989 (when I turned 21 from being a cadet) but like I said we have a small unit and no admin people. The Group also doesnt have any admin people. 
Thanks

Individual members have the ability to prepare their own forms and aquire the appropriate signatures.  These items do not have to be completed by an assigned personnel officer (Admin are the people who handle the file plan items and reg updates and stuff).

For the stars and clasps - just fill out a CAPF 2b (just kidding) CAPF 2a.
For the completion of Level III - just fill out a CAPF 24.
The promotion paperwork isn't hard either, but since you would already meet the requirements, why not... that's done on a CAPF 2

(Links provided by clicking form number...)
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

Stonewall

I think you'll find that most CAP lifers end up having to do a lot of this stuff on their own.  It's not a big deal really, but like so many people will say, keep a copy of everything.  I have 2 identical files, one with copies and one with originals.  The originals stay with the squadron and I keep the copy.  Just makes for good practice.

It would be cool if CAP had an online awards and personnel system like the Air Force has in Air Force Portal.  I can go online and see everything from schools I've attended to an automatic "rack builder", clasps and all.  If you ever see something missing, or in my case, 3 extra ribbons I didn't earn, you just go into your personnel office and get it fixed.
Serving since 1987.

afgeo4

Quote from: Stonewall on August 20, 2007, 06:35:15 PM
I think you'll find that most CAP lifers end up having to do a lot of this stuff on their own.  It's not a big deal really, but like so many people will say, keep a copy of everything.  I have 2 identical files, one with copies and one with originals.  The originals stay with the squadron and I keep the copy.  Just makes for good practice.

It would be cool if CAP had an online awards and personnel system like the Air Force has in Air Force Portal.  I can go online and see everything from schools I've attended to an automatic "rack builder", clasps and all.  If you ever see something missing, or in my case, 3 extra ribbons I didn't earn, you just go into your personnel office and get it fixed.
Couldn't be that hard... the website already has a place to record all awards and decorations. They just need to record them into it after paperwork is forwarded to them.
GEORGE LURYE

SoCalCAPOfficer

I dont know if you are in California Wing or not.  However, promotions are all done online now.   The Unit Commander has to initiate it.
Daniel L. Hough, Maj, CAP
Commander
Hemet Ryan Sq 59  PCR-CA-458

Al Sayre

Yeah, but handing your CC a CAPF 2 is a good reminder for him to get around to it...
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

afgeo4

And it serves as a hard copy for a back-up of a computer database (which will eventually fail)
GEORGE LURYE

SoCalCAPOfficer

I should claify something.   As of 8/7/07 all unit commanders in California Wing were told that it is now the Pacific Region policy that all Duty Perfomance Promotions must be done online and that they will not accept the CAPF 2 any longer.   However, all other promotions still require it and any other documentation that might be required.
Daniel L. Hough, Maj, CAP
Commander
Hemet Ryan Sq 59  PCR-CA-458

CadetProgramGuy

As for basic record keeping I use the SIMS Program.  You can keep track of most everything that you need, as well as print out CAPF 50's, 2a's and what not.

www.squadroncommand.com  under downloads.  You will also need the CAPWatch file from e-services.

RogueLeader

Thanks

1) usually no one actually awards membership or leadership ribbons.  I found out the same way you are.  Once you become a SM, you "earn" a membership ribbon.  As soon as you get your tech rating, you get your leadership ribbon.  If your Spec tracks are on e-services, you can officially wear your clasps. 

2) If you want to have a ceremony for your achievements, just ask your DCS about it, or CC if no DCS. 

3) I've noticed that many Squadrons consider that the Senior are big people, and can fend for themselves.  Speaking for myself, as a former PDO, I felt it was my job to ensure that I tracked all I could.

4) Good job on keeping your own file.  As they say, "If it's not on paper, you didn't do it."  If the squadron loses paperwork, you do it over; if you have a copy of it (better yet- the original) you can prove that you did it and thus get credit.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

RiverAux

Unfortunately, this is an area that CAP just doesn't handle very well.  An online system would be preferable.  The CG Aux uses such a system and a large number of awards are handled more or less on autopilot. 

floridacyclist

We have recently started awarding Membership Ribbons in a formal ceremony...after all, it is the first ribbon most members earn, they deserve to have a big deal made of it.
Gene Floyd, Capt CAP
Wearer of many hats, master of none (but senior-rated in two)
www.tallahasseecap.org
www.rideforfatherhood.org

Cecil DP

Quote from: jimmydeanno on August 20, 2007, 06:28:54 PM

Thanks

Individual members have the ability to prepare their own forms and aquire the appropriate signatures.  These items do not have to be completed by an assigned personnel officer (Admin are the people who handle the file plan items and reg updates and stuff).

For the stars and clasps - just fill out a CAPF 2b (just kidding) CAPF 2a.
For the completion of Level III - just fill out a CAPF 24.
The promotion paperwork isn't hard either, but since you would already meet the requirements, why not... that's done on a CAPF 2

(Links provided by clicking form number...)

When preparing the CAPF2a use a seperate one for each action (Red Service, Membership, and Leadership. ).

Tags - MIKE
Michael P. McEleney
LtCol CAP
MSG  USA Retired
GRW#436 Feb 85

Duke Dillio

Speaking from my days as a Personnel/PD officer, I initiated 2a's for everything.  This way, if anyone ever asked the member about awards, they would be covered.  I know that CAWG has a policy that each prior service member must have their DD-214 in their squadron records before being able to wear their military awards on their CAP uniform.  I think this is probably an effort to curb some of the "PX Rangers."  Anyway, it didn't take long to fill out a 2a with the appropriate marks checked for ribbon or clasp or whatever.  While the form 2's are now done online, I still print one up and put in the record during processing until National sends the completed CAPF 2 which is then placed in their personnel record.  The biggest issue I have noticed with the CAPF 24 is that when you apply for the level 3, you have to complete 2 wing/region/national conferences.  I've been to a couple of wing conferences and have never received a participation letter or anything else to show that i was there.  How do any of you deal with that issue?

Cecil DP

When you prepare the CAPF2's use a seperate form for each award. 1 action=1 form. IE Leadership award w/ clasp(s)-1 action

Red Service Award=1 action

Membership Award+1 action

That way if the approval authority finds fault with one, thet're not all disapproved.
Michael P. McEleney
LtCol CAP
MSG  USA Retired
GRW#436 Feb 85

RogueLeader

Also note that there is no slot on a CAPF 2a for membership or leadership.  CAPF 50's are for cadets, not Seniors, CAP Officers ;)
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

Duke Dillio

Quote from: RogueLeader on August 21, 2007, 04:09:59 AM
Also note that there is no slot on a CAPF 2a for membership or leadership.  CAPF 50's are for cadets, not Seniors, CAP Officers ;)

When I do a 2a for membership or leadership, I just click the other and then put something like "Membership ribbon awarded IAW CAPR 39-3" or whatever in the remarks section.  After other, you can type in Membership Ribbon, Benjamin O. Davis Leadership Award, whatever.

RogueLeader

I'm just saying that it isn't necessary- at least to NHQ- to have a 2a filled out for those two, so long as they have a membership card, that quals for the ribbon, and Track ratings for Leadership, likewise.  Same goes for Yeager and AEPSM.  Is it nice to have all spelled out as such? Yes, but it is redundant.  I know that it isn't as polished as it could be, but it is functional.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340