Serious decline in CAP pilots?

Started by RiverAux, August 18, 2007, 01:06:53 PM

Trung Si Ma

Quote from: Eclipse on September 21, 2007, 05:32:47 AM
...until somebody reads their insurance policy about not being covered for this type of activity, or worse, bends one and sues CAP.

My insurance specifically includes CAP missions authorized by competant authority.  Only added $50 to the annual cost IIRC.

My take - I bought a plane for me to fly.  I really hate to rent / borrow someone else's bird when I have a perfectly good 172 of my own.  I've gotten to the point that I've stopped renting aircraft as I travel on business (if I've flown there before) because I like the way mine is set up and flies.

Intellectually, I understand why the Wing CC wants me to fly one of his aircraft for cadet orientation rides, but I'd rather fly mine.  Of course, I have to fly mine to go pick up the CAP bird.
Freedom isn't free - I paid for it

Ricochet13

Quote from: Eclipse on September 21, 2007, 05:32:47 AM
Quote from: Ricochet13 on September 21, 2007, 04:46:25 AM
Quote from: Eclipse on September 16, 2007, 02:03:21 PM
I meant aircraft POV, not automobile. as discussed in other threads, most wings discourage or prohibit member-owned aircraft for mission use, so getting a mission number for an activity in a non-CAP plane will be challenging at the least.
On the ground personal cars are the norm.
That's the point I was trying to make.  Member-owned vehicles and aircraft have a place in training missions.  A key to increasing participation as I see it.  My wing will be implementing this type of use in the very near future.  All unfunded of course, but will aid in training, proficiency, and probably of equal importance, retention.
...until somebody reads their insurance policy about not being covered for this type of activity, or worse, bends one and sues CAP.

Already checked . . covered with both.

wingnut

A minor detail for the Archer Pilots, AOPA and other insurance policies do not cover the aircraft with the CAP 50 dollare rider because the archer holds 8 seats, this was revealed just recently. What fools we are to be taking on  this. No coverage on your rider if flying a GA-8, wreck it and get a 5,000 fine from national and kiss your CAP career goodby. Hit a row of airplanes and aive it ruled not CAPs fault, kiss your house, car, and incomegood buy. Now ask for GA- pilot volunteers. oh make sure they sign a disclaimer of knowledge of these facts

LittleIronPilot

I will admit that I was surprised at the level of commitment and expense it takes to become just a Form 5, let alone a MP.

I too have the same problem as others have mentioned, I own a C182 and I spend enough on it that it is difficult, though not impossible, for me to justify spending the money on renting a CAP bird. I WILL do it of course simply because I want my Form 5 and MP status, but it is a tough nut to swallow at times! LOL

flyguy06

My Squadron Comander owns his own plane and refuses to fly CAP's. That actually hurts our squadron because if we don tfly the CAP plane enough we cant get it stationed at our neighboring airport, and I cant give cadets O-rides

wingnut

I have just  noticed a reply to my comment that pilots participating in the FOSSET search  tell me they "WILL NOT BE PARTICIPATING IN FURTHER SEARCH AND RESCUE MISSIONS" if not refunded for there fuel costs in a timely manner. Now what is timely, there is a tremendous amount of ignorance and a lack of caring from HQ on the requests of the pilots and crews, and it appears that there is little if anyone who responds to those complaints. Calling a person a complainer is a great Way to increase retention and recruitment. When my dad flew his Piper Pacer for 5 days his fuel bill was $200.00. now its $2,000. wait 3 months, 4, months, word gets around, Word of mouth of pilots on the Airport is priceless, one B.S. poster worthless. If we cannot clean up the problem Congress and the Air Force will.

Serious Decline, why not ask people why they quit when they do, usually they don't want to here the B.S. anymore from guys who think wearing the uniform means .  C=ome A=nd P=ay, I disagree with that premise, its not a joke.

Dragoon

Quote from: wingnut on October 26, 2007, 04:29:56 AM
A minor detail for the Archer Pilots, AOPA and other insurance policies do not cover the aircraft with the CAP 50 dollare rider because the archer holds 8 seats, this was revealed just recently. What fools we are to be taking on  this. No coverage on your rider if flying a GA-8, wreck it and get a 5,000 fine from national and kiss your CAP career goodby. Hit a row of airplanes and aive it ruled not CAPs fault, kiss your house, car, and incomegood buy. Now ask for GA- pilot volunteers. oh make sure they sign a disclaimer of knowledge of these facts

Any why do I care about AOPA insurance when flying under an Air Force mission #?

RiverAux

In case the AF lawyers find some way to deny you coverage because of some paperwork or uniform snafu...

wingnut

did you know you can be held liable for a hard landing by CAP, and for full amount if your actions are considered negligence. many CAP pilots have been fined. If you have AOPA insurance they will cover the fine. However, if it is a GA-8, your not covered. 8 passanger

RiverAux

Quotemany CAP pilots have been fined
citation please.
I know the regulation is there, but I've never heard of it being applied in my wing. 

wingnut

You have never heard of a CAP pilot being fined for a hard landing??

ask around it has happened to many. Usually the AOPA or avemco deductable covers it.

Try CAP 62-2

A hard landing is often a $500.00 fine but could include the entire repair cost if deemed cross negligence

Dragoon

Quote from: wingnut on October 30, 2007, 05:38:11 AM
You have never heard of a CAP pilot being fined for a hard landing??

ask around it has happened to many. Usually the AOPA or avemco deductable covers it.

Try CAP 62-2

A hard landing is often a $500.00 fine but could include the entire repair cost if deemed cross negligence

Hey if I'm negligent  or grossly negligent, I should expect to pay.  No problem with that.  And even if stiffed for $500 one time is cheaper than buying insurance every year to to cover that amount.

I've yet to see a finding of negligence (or gross negligence) in CAP what wasn't justified.  So I'm not worried.  If you are, then don't fly.  No problem there.