COMMS CALLSIGNS???

Started by jheaney1108, July 30, 2007, 08:38:54 PM

jheaney1108

who here has a commms call sign cause im the ncoic of communications in my squadron

drcomm

Not sure exactly what you are asking for.
David Romere, Maj, CAP
Starbase Composite Squadron, SWR-OK-151
Oil Well 767
Mitchell Award #2536 (May 1981)
Amateur Radio Call Sign: KA5OWI

wacapgh

CAP Callsigns are generally assigned by your Wing Communications Director or designee (Licencing Officer, Group Communications Officers, etc).

JC004

Quote from: wacapgh on July 30, 2007, 11:49:26 PM
CAP Callsigns are generally assigned by your Wing Communications Director or designee (Licencing Officer, Group Communications Officers, etc).

But I didn't like mine, so I changed the numbers around.   >:D

CASH172

There is a list of call signs that wings, regions, and national uses through NTC  somewhere.  It won't give exact call signs but just the stuff like which wing uses a specific sign.  I'd like to give an example but it's a little against OPSEC. 

JC004

Quote from: CASH172 on July 31, 2007, 12:22:37 AM
There is a list of call signs that wings, regions, and national uses through E-services somewhere.  It won't give exact call signs but just the stuff like which wing uses a specific sign.  I'd like to give an example but it's a little against OPSEC. 

My favorite call sign is [BEEEEEEEEP - OPSEC].  Grrr.  The alternate one that NHQ uses.   >:D

floridacyclist

If I read your request right, you are new in the comms world and are looking for others on common ground....right or wrong?

My whole family has callsigns because you have to have a radio assigned (or owned) and families are considered to share equipment. I'm not so sure about the opsec part because you can look our callsigns up on the FL Wing website, but in the interest of not getting into a head-butting contest I won't mention it here. Let's just say that my family has 5 almost consecutive callsigns in our series

We're also all hams too and the calls are:
AI4KK:Gene (that's me)
KI4JOL:Bonnie (my wife)
KI4JTA:C/MSgt Stefan Floyd (18)
KI4NGO:C/MSgt Joshua Floyd (15)
KI4WET:C/SMSgt Tony Davidson (16)
C/Amn Chris Davidson(12) is still working on his ham license and ACUT
Gene Floyd, Capt CAP
Wearer of many hats, master of none (but senior-rated in two)
www.tallahasseecap.org
www.rideforfatherhood.org

BlackKnight

I think what he's asking for is where to find the cross-reference of tactical or duty-position call signs that used to be standardized.  For example, the old 3-number codes following the wing call sign were based on group, squadron number, and duty position.  You didn't necessarily have a "personalized" call sign unless comm was your specialty. The average user assumed the appropriate call sign based on their tactical duty position during the comm session. 

Phil Boylan, Maj, CAP
DCS, Rome Composite Sqdn - GA043
http://www.romecap.org/

BillB

Hey does that mean I can be HeadCAP 01 ??
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

arajca

Quote from: BlackKnight on July 31, 2007, 02:43:49 PM
I think what he's asking for is where to find the cross-reference of tactical or duty-position call signs that used to be standardized.  For example, the old 3-number codes following the wing call sign were based on group, squadron number, and duty position.  You didn't necessarily have a "personalized" call sign unless comm was your specialty. The average user assumed the appropriate call sign based on their tactical duty position during the comm session. 
That may have been your wing's system, but it is/was not the same everywhere.

BlackKnight

There is reference to such a tactical call sign system in CAPR 100-1 Volume III (E), Section 2-3.  The details of how to apply it for echelons below wing staff are omitted. But the concept is presented and could be easily adapted.
Phil Boylan, Maj, CAP

SarDragon

Quote from: BlackKnight on July 31, 2007, 05:21:58 PM
There is reference to such a tactical call sign system in CAPR 100-1 Volume III (E), Section 2-3.  The details of how to apply it for echelons below wing staff are omitted. But the concept is presented and could be easily adapted.

CAPR 100-1 Volume III (E) has been superceded by CAPR 100-3 as of 3 Nov 2006.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

JC004

shorning

It never ceases to amaze me how quickly we can blow a simple question out of proportion... :-\

BlackKnight

Quote from: SarDragon on July 31, 2007, 10:11:19 PM
[CAPR 100-1 Volume III (E) has been superceded by CAPR 100-3 as of 3 Nov 2006.

Okay, be that way.   :) 
The same info can be found in the current version of CAPR 100-1 Vol 1, Section 7-15.
Phil Boylan, Maj, CAP

Pylon

Quote from: jheaney1108 on July 30, 2007, 08:38:54 PM
who here has a commms call sign cause im the ncoic of communications in my squadron

I have a HAM callsign.  NY Wing never issued me a call sign, even though I've had my ROP-A for years, applied for one back in the day when having a personal, CAP-capable radio could qualify you for a call-sign, and even though I held positions in squadron and Group staff.

Know what I used?   I used "Hey, Comm Guy!  Where's the XXXXXX at?"   ;)
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

JC004

Camas

Quote from: floridacyclist on July 31, 2007, 01:05:21 PM
- - - -  because you have to have a radio assigned (or owned) - - - -

Maybe I've missed something but do you have to have a radio?  I've seen nothing in CAPM 100-1 Vol 1.

JC004

Quote from: Camas on August 03, 2007, 04:39:30 AM

Maybe I've missed something but do you have to have a radio?  I've seen nothing in CAPM 100-1 Vol 1.

well currently the call sign is assigned to the radio...

Galahad

Precisely!  This is apparently another one of those deals where unpublished 'policy' is introducing chaos.  It caught my unit completely flat-footed. We're still training based on existing regulations in this regard because no revisions have been published.  It appears that someone unilaterally decided to change call-sign and licensing policy but they apparently did it back-door without membership peer review and didn't bother to update the regs.  It's like dealing with the IRS.  You're wrong because they say so.

RogueLeader

Quote from: JC004 on August 03, 2007, 04:49:45 AM

It depends, we have vehicles with designated callsigns- they have radios in them, but I too have- or will shortly- my own callsign, but I do not have an assigned radio.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

SarDragon

Why do you need a call sign if you don't have a radio?
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Stonewall

Quote from: SarDragon on August 03, 2007, 10:29:11 PM

In some cases, a GTL may not have his/her own radio, so when they show up to mission base they'll have to be issued one.  I realize that in many situations they'll assign a team call sign, but if its a CAP-only mission, especially a training mission, what call sign would they use?

In NATCAP wing, back in the day, if you were a GTL you'd get a call sign.
Serving since 1987.

arajca

Quote from: Stonewall on August 03, 2007, 10:34:18 PM
snip
I realize that in many situations they'll assign a team call sign, but if its a CAP-only mission, especially a training mission, what call sign would they use?
How about the one assigned when they are actually assigned to a GT in accordance with the comm plan. If you don't have a comm plan, start jumping on the CUL. In practice, I usually see the GT using the call sign of the vehicle they are in.

SarDragon

Quote from: SarDragon on August 03, 2007, 10:29:11 PM

In some cases, a GTL may not have his/her own radio, so when they show up to mission base they'll have to be issued one.  I realize that in many situations they'll assign a team call sign, but if its a CAP-only mission, especially a training mission, what call sign would they use?

In NATCAP wing, back in the day, if you were a GTL you'd get a call sign.

In that situation, assign a call sign from a free block. The need for a call sign comes with possession of a radio, period.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

floridacyclist

We always assign functional callsigns regardless of whether someone has a callsign or not; it just makes good comm sense. When things are busy, folks want to have to refer to a cheat sheet to figure out who is on what team....just call them by team number....Uniform-1, Golf-2 etc etc. I could care less who asnwers the radio as long as I get the team I need.
Gene Floyd, Capt CAP
Wearer of many hats, master of none (but senior-rated in two)
www.tallahasseecap.org
www.rideforfatherhood.org

Ricochet13

Quote from: JC004 link=topic=2506.msg46043#msg46043 date=
Quote from: Camas link=topic=2506.msg46042#msg46042 date=
Quote from: floridacyclist link=topic=2506.msg45576#msg45576 date=

That may vary from wing to wing.  I have a call sign independent of any communications equipment.

tvh2k

I'm pretty sure in NYWG you need ACUT + a radio to get a callsign.

Also, if you're out shopping for a radio, make sure it's narrowband!  My VX150 has served me well but after next January it won't meet NTIA specs. (EDIT: seems that's been a requirement for new member purchases since 31 Dec 04.  Mine was just grandfathered in until 2008.  oops)
Terence Van Hise, 1st Lt, CAP
C/2d Lt (select), AFROTC (Det 538)
C/Maj, AAS