Senior member gray uniform

Started by vandy, May 26, 2005, 02:04:48 PM

RF273

AF/CAP weight standards are not the only reason to not wear AF-style uniform. I know a number of seniors who meet the physical requirements (weight) but opt for the CAP uniforms for other grooming reasons - hair length, beards, etc. As a women, there are times when I prefer to wear the CAP uniforms so I don't want to put up my long hair (I hate wearing my hair up,) especially if it is only a meeting and there are no safety concerns with wearing my hair down. Another reason is cost - the CAP uniforms cost a lot less. Civilian/commercial blue blazer is only around $50, gray slacks are also not too expensive (and can be worn as part of a person's regular wardrobe,) etc. When you add up AF-style ($160 for the service dress coat alone!) the CAP uniforms are a good alternative. For me, I would rather spend money on good SAR equipment and not AF-style uniforms if given the choice (can't afford to do both, or not too often.)

Pylon

Quote from: RF273 on October 18, 2005, 06:59:42 PM
AF/CAP weight standards are not the only reason to not wear AF-style uniform. I know a number of seniors who meet the physical requirements (weight) but opt for the CAP uniforms for other grooming reasons - hair length, beards, etc. As a women, there are times when I prefer to wear the CAP uniforms so I don't want to put up my long hair (I hate wearing my hair up,) especially if it is only a meeting and there are no safety concerns with wearing my hair down. Another reason is cost - the CAP uniforms cost a lot less. Civilian/commercial blue blazer is only around $50, gray slacks are also not too expensive (and can be worn as part of a person's regular wardrobe,) etc. When you add up AF-style ($160 for the service dress coat alone!) the CAP uniforms are a good alternative. For me, I would rather spend money on good SAR equipment and not AF-style uniforms if given the choice (can't afford to do both, or not too often.)

...and to piggy-back on those comments, It's not like you have to be missing some standard to wear the corporate uniforms.  That's where they gain that "fat-suit" stigma that unfortunately plagues the uniform.

I am able to wear AF-style uniforms, but I own both corporate and AF-style uniforms.  I have before worn the aviator shirt uniform, and I have worn before the CAP Blazer combo -- I wasn't unshaven or overweight.  I like them, they're not bad uniforms, and often I find them a bit more comfortable than the blues.

Granted, not everybody is going to own dual sets of AF and Corporate uniforms, but I only have the corporates because I had to procure them for IACE.  However, since I have them in my wardrobe I'm not going to stop wearing them and let them collect moth-holes just because I don't have to wear them.    If one uniform is dirty and the other is clean, I'm going to take the clean one regardless of whether it is a corporate of AF-style uniform.

Lately, as I've taken a DCC position, I've found myself wearing the blues more often to blend easily with the cadets.  This doesn't mean that those in corporate uniforms don't or can't -- I just find it easier myself.  But I still don't look down on the corporate uniforms in any way;  we shouldn't be furthering an unnecessary divide within our own organization.  It's counter productive and goes against good manners, to boot.  :)
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

md132

That is same for me as well.  I also own both AF-style and CAP uniforms.  I probably wear my blues once a month and my aviator shirt and grey slacks the rest of the month at meetings.  I rarely wear my BDU's.  I also wear my mess dress maybe twice a year.  Last time I wore my mess dress was in March at a squadron banquet for a local USAF squadron. 

Major_Chuck

I feel that the CAP Distinctive uniform (aviator) is a very sharp looking uniform when worn properly.  (i.e.  shirt pressed, slacks clean and pressed, etc).

I live close to three military schools (VMI, Fishburne Military Academy, and The Miller School) , each with a white/grey uniform combination which for them is mainly worn in the winter.  Spring and summer they wear a all white combination.  They are sharp uniforms.  I've seen pictures of USMA cadets wearing the white/grey mix.  Again, when worn properly it is a sharp uniform.

Like most here, I can wear both uniforms but feel more comfortable in the aviator uniform.  Same thing with the Blue BDU's.  After wearing them now for close to a year I prefer the look over the camo pattern.  Now that we can wear insignia on the blue bdu cap and both collars I will wear it more often.

Chuck Cranford
SGT, TNCO VA OCS
Virginia Army National Guard

Camas

I've been wearing "greys" since I joined five years ago and they've served me well.  I couldn't wear blues due to weight but that's an issue I don't have to worry about anymore.

I wear blues periodically as I attend enough functions up here in Oregon such as SLS and CLC courses that warrant having a blue uniform of some sort.  On weekend courses I wear an aviator uniform one day and a set of blues the second. 

But when I do my Level One courses I stick with the golfshirt uniform as it keeps things relaxed in working with new members.

PACAPSM

Does anyone know if we are permitted to wear the Van Heusen "Pilot"-type shirt as an alternative to the "Aviator" shirt?

arajca

The Aviator shirt is the approved shirt, not the Pilot or Commander shirt.

Matt

*Side Bar*
I just looked at the difference between them, it's noticable in the pockets; but to my point, you can get aviator shirts cheaper at: http://www.vhpilotshirts.com/  they're about $2 less all around.
<a href=mailto:mkopp@ncr.cap.gov> Matthew Kopp</a>, Maj, CAP
Director of Information Technology
<a href=https://www.ncrcap.us.org> North Central Region</a>

Pylon

Quote from: Matt on November 16, 2005, 01:17:52 PM
*Side Bar*
I just looked at the difference between them, it's noticable in the pockets; but to my point, you can get aviator shirts cheaper at: http://www.vhpilotshirts.com/  they're about $2 less all around.

A side bar to the side bar:

What kind of web store mandates that you register for an account, just to see their merchandise?  Sorry -- not getting my information up front, thus not getting my business at all.  Bad model. ::)
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

Matt

Quote from: Pylon on November 16, 2005, 01:47:48 PM
Quote from: Matt on November 16, 2005, 01:17:52 PM
*Side Bar*

A side bar to the side bar:

What kind of web store mandates that you register for an account, just to see their merchandise?  Sorry -- not getting my information up front, thus not getting my business at all.  Bad model. ::)

So True!
<a href=mailto:mkopp@ncr.cap.gov> Matthew Kopp</a>, Maj, CAP
Director of Information Technology
<a href=https://www.ncrcap.us.org> North Central Region</a>

Camas

Here's a site that has Van Heusens plus "Wings" by Elbeco.  The Van Heusens are 35% cotton and of a poplin weave.  The "Wings" are 60% cotton and of a pinpoint weave.  They're more money but I like the "Wings" better.