Main Menu

GIS

Started by Tubacap, July 12, 2007, 11:18:56 AM

Tubacap

Although slightly intriqued about the use of mapping whale farts....  how did you come across ESRI letting CAP using ArcGIS for free?  Would we be able to use it operationally for free as well?  If so, who is a point of contact at ESRI?  PM with the last one please.
William Schlosser, Major CAP
NER-PA-001

RiverAux

As I said earlier, there are some situations in which a GIS system would be helpful to CAP, but we've got to get real -- we have a hard time getting people to properly use WMIRs and the MIMS system which just involves data entry.  There may be a few people in most Wings capable of using it, but the amount of work that would have to go into develolping the system, keeping current etc., wouldn't be justified by the amount of use we give it in most cases.

I sort of put a CAP GIS in the same box in my head as a highly computerized ICP in which all radio messages are input into the system and distributed electronically to staff  --- nice to have but not really justified by the scale of our operations. 

wingnut

As an AE you can use ESRI products for education uses, Did I say FREE? sorry they make us pay $99, but has anyone considered asking for a grant to develop a GIS center

Oh well I guess I will just do it in CAWG,  you guys do your own thing, I will send pictures, if we all spent as much time just doing it rather than always arguing we would all be better off

Tubacap

Not arguing it's need/or ability to be stood up.  In fact we have the resources.  The idea, is what is BEST for us to do?  How technical do we want to go, and how best to service our members in the field and customers.
NER-PA-001

RiverAux

Tubacap

Okay, a new program that I am not familiar with is now on the table.  It's called Manifold GIS.  Anyone familiar with the program?  Any positive or negative stories/experiences about it?
NER-PA-001

sardak

Yes, I have Manifold.  I rarely use it, but it has come in handy at times.  I have the Pro version so that I can have an Internet map server.  99% of my GIS work, which I do almost daily, is done with Global Mapper, http://www.globalmapper.com.  Both Global Mapper and Manifold do, more easily, much of what the ArcGIS desktop products can do, and they include features that one has to buy extensions to do in ArcGIS.  However, I still have to use ArcView for some tasks.

A free GIS-like editor program is fGIS, available from http://www.forestpal.com/fgis.html.  This is not the latest version.  The program was developed by the Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources but new licensing restrictions prevent public distribution of the latest version.  Here is the link to the WDNR website for the restricted version: http://dnr.wi.gov/org/land/forestry/GIS/Applications/FGIS/

A free, open source GIS software program is Map Window.  http://www.mapwindow.com/

Mike

Tubacap

This may be a rookie question, but is most of the data included in these applications initial purchase?  If not, where do you ge the data?

Also, in these applications, do you have the ability to mesh photographs into continuous imagery?
NER-PA-001

RiverAux

Some come with a basic dataset, but most you have to hunt down yourself.  The most useful things for us- aerial photos would have to be obtained separately.  Some states have GIS programs that put a lot of downloadable data available on a web site. 

sardak

None of the programs I listed come with data.  The data are obtained from the Internet, either through searching, finding and downloading data, or some of the programs have the ability to access and download data directly into the application while it is open.  Some data are free, some can be bought and downloaded and others come loaded on CDs or DVDs.

All of the programs have the ability to merge and manipulate aerial and satellite imagery.

Mike

KyCAP

Hey all,

I've been MIA from CAP for a few months with work and was happy to see this thread rolling.   This is a lot of discusstion on "one" of the subjects that I am researching for the Ky Wing.

I am starting a "project" on my own to build a Microsoft VirtualPC Hard drive that I could load for an Incident Commander's Kit...   In other words, I can build a PC with all of the software that I would want to keep "updated" for an IC and then load them onto USB 1TB hard drives ($300) and distribute.

Some of the applications that I have been thinking should be included (work the licensing out later - joking):

Win XP
Office
Adobe Acrobat
AOPA Real Time Flight Planner (Free)
(or) Jeppensen FliteStar IFR
Mapping Packages -
FalconView
WorldWind (or)
GoogleEarth
Some GIS package
Delorme xMap

Incident Management Utilities
Mission Manager

EF Johnson Programming Software
Motorola HF Radio Programming Software
Technisonic Radio Programming Software

SDIS software to be able to ship carryback SDIS images to WMIRS

etc etc...

I've got a new laptop that I am starting to load all of this onto now so that I can create the image of the Virtual Machine as a test.
Maj. Russ Hensley, CAP
IC-2 plus all the rest. :)
Kentucky Wing

Tubacap

Please let us know how this works out for you!  This sounds very interesting.  Welcome back!
NER-PA-001

KyCAP

Update on this...

Just finished a year long review of "Stuff" out there for mapping.  Nailing down the first piece.

For the mapping (Topo/Air/Road) I am recommending that KY Wing use the Delorme products to standardize upon. 

1) We already use their paper products.
2) It's Commercial Off The Shelf (COTS) and well supported and relatively low cost

Specifically, XMAP Pro 5.2 for Mission Base Staff (Planning / OPS / IC)
PN-20 Delorme GPS.

The deal closer is the GPS unit.   If you have not seen this unit as a ground team member or other wise, it's phenomenal on the "imagery" data that can be pushed into this.

Randomly, while I was working on this, I learned that one of our squadrons had already came to the same conclusion on using the PN-20 for ops. 

Spacing - MIKE
Maj. Russ Hensley, CAP
Kentucky Wing

KyCAP

Installed XMAP 5.2 and my PN-20 into CAP expedition today.  The moving map was an added bonus for with the street data included with XMAP.  (note DeLorme gazeteer backup in the seat)
Maj. Russ Hensley, CAP
Kentucky Wing

KyCAP

Here are some screen shots of XMAP with Delorme base data, NACO VFR Sectionals with Raster imagery, Color Ortho (10 meter resolution) and imported USGS quads.

Also, one of our Wing guys works for a GIS company and they produced the CAP Cell grid shape file in state plane coordinate systems.  Imported it into XMAP Pro Editor and shipped that to me in an Openspace format for XMAP Pro to use.   The CAP grids are labeled in the center of the RED cells.
Maj. Russ Hensley, CAP
Kentucky Wing

KyCAP

A new image..   Shows the CAP Grid better.  Also has VFR sectional from NACO. SARSAR plots are from one of two non-distress ELT missions I ran last week.

We're working on Shape files that match the Delorme index on the back of the Gazeteer.  We have shape files of the National Guard repeaters in one layer and adding the CAP repeaters to that as well.    This way we can start to print a binder that has a "pertinent" information page that is indexed back to the Delorme Gazeteer for "quick" lookup and cross-reference to the lowest common denominator.
Maj. Russ Hensley, CAP
Kentucky Wing

Mustang

Pardon me for coming to the party late...self-described GPS geek here.

DOD has this nifty program called FalconView that will cover pretty much all your enduser GIS needs. It's uber flexible, but it's also uber restricted.  I understand that NHQ has been working to get CAP authorized to use FalconView, but haven't heard of any success yet.

That said, it looks like xMap Pro occupies very nearly the same space as FalconView, only without the nutbar use restrictions.  I need to look into it further, but from what Russ has shown, it's got me pretty excited.

In my day job, I'm chief pilot for an outfit that does aerial mapping photography, we shoot the stuff that ends up on MS Virtual Earth under "bird's eye view".  I have to deal with all kinds of maps on a regular basis in order to communicate to ATC, law enforcement, US Secret Service, et al where we will be flying.  My primary tool for this has been a program called OziExplorer, which has met most of my needs to date, but its tools for calibrating (georeferencing) raster images is cumbersome. 

I've also used the 3-D track capabilities of Google Earth for post-flight analysis, and this is one area I think would be really useful for CAP to exploit more fully.   With idiot-proof products like Delorme's Earthmate Blue Logger receiver, aircrews can walk in to the debrief with their Blue Logger in hand, the debriefer can download the recorded track and view it within Google Earth.  Nothing like being able to see how well a crew searched a grid by being able to visualize their actual flight path. 

To get an idea of what I'm talking about, here's a Google Earth screen shot of an actual sortie I flew during the Fossett search out in Nevada last fall, the drainage searches from the 14,000 ft peak to the 5000 ft valley floor clearly visible.

To get the 3-D track, I processed the tracklog from my handheld GPS through GPSVisualizer.com and imported the resulting KML file into GE.
"Amateurs train until they get it right; Professionals train until they cannot get it wrong. "

smitjud

We have a great google earth based system here in Alabama called Virtual Alabama that can do more cool stuff than I have the time to sit on here and explain.  To learn more, visit:

http://www.dhs.alabama.gov/virtual_alabama/home.aspx

CAP works closely with the Alabama EMA and the Alabama DHS to provide imagry for this, used most recently with the Enterprise High School Tornado and the Prattville tornados (mentioned in the last "Volunteer).
JUSTIN D. SMITH, Maj, CAP
ALWG

"You do not lead by hitting people over the head - that's assault, not leadership."

-Dwight D. Eisenhower

KyCAP

Mustang,

Through various efforts I actually have the "applications" to get Falcon View.   It's available to CAP for use.  However, the process as I saw it was required on a per individual basis and can only be shipped to your Wing HQ address.     Also, the application is VERY cryptic.

It's similar to XMAP but as you say, not as difficult to get our hands on.   I am also not sure that it allows the editing and creation of any shape files (because I can't get information on it).   
Maj. Russ Hensley, CAP
Kentucky Wing

brasda91

Not to be out done by KyCap.   ;D

What you see is only part of what we put in the van on missions.  I have my personal Magellan Roadmate 670 GPS that also goes in.  It's hard to see, but we have GPS program on the laptop with the receiver that goes on the dash.  The printer and laptop are powered by an inverter.  We can print maps, forms, etc. while on the move.  The printer is sitting on a 3 drawer bin that has blank paper, a few office supplies, some blank forms and a CD or two of various GT and UDF forms on them.

[attachment deleted by admin]

[attachment deleted by admin]
Wade Dillworth, Maj.
Paducah Composite Squadron
www.kywgcap.org/ky011