CAP/Civil Service

Started by CAPed Crusader, November 12, 2018, 01:11:44 AM

CAPed Crusader

Is CAP considered USAF Civil Service?

Just curious.

DeRosa

Eclipse

No.

While there are civilian employees of CAP,  as well as civilian employees of CAP-USAF (i.e LR-ADOs, which are GS-12s last I checked).

CAP members are not employees and do not fall under "US Federal Civil Service".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_federal_civil_service

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_Services_Administration

"That Others May Zoom"

abdsp51

OldGuy

No, but because under defined circumstances we are covered by federal insurance as if we were employees, some interesting nuances pop up. I do not recall the specifics but it changed how we relate to the HAM radio world, for example.

Eclipse

Quote from: OldGuy on November 12, 2018, 01:35:36 AM
No, but because under defined circumstances we are covered by federal insurance as if we were employees, some interesting nuances pop up. I do not recall the specifics but it changed how we relate to the HAM radio world, for example.

Under AFAMs (A&B), members are cover by FECA & the FTCA.

FECA provides compensation in the event of a physical injury which occurs in the prosecution of CAP duties.
Last I checked a member would receive compensation at the level of GS-9 during the time they are out of work due
to a CAP-related injury.

FTCA provides protection from being sued by a third party for damage or injuries caused in the prosecution of CAP duties.

Corporate missions (C) do not fall under the the above.  Under C-missions members are protected by the corporation
which is self-insured.

"That Others May Zoom"

JayT

Quote from: francisderosa16 on November 12, 2018, 01:11:44 AM

Just curious.

DeRosa

Why would you think that?
"Eagerness and thrill seeking in others' misery is psychologically corrosive, and is also rampant in EMS. It's a natural danger of the job. It will be something to keep under control, something to fight against."

CAPCom

Quote from: Eclipse on November 12, 2018, 01:17:40 AM
No.

While there are civilian employees of CAP,  as well as civilian employees of CAP-USAF (i.e LR-ADOs, which are GS-12s last I checked).

CAP members are not employees and do not fall under "US Federal Civil Service".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_federal_civil_service

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_Services_Administration

You're right about it not being considered Civil Service, but I wouldn't count on Wikipedia for giving you the right answer all-around or to be a good source for supporting anything.  Better to get a .gov definition.  Wikipedia is notoriously unreliable and often flat-out wrong - for many reasons.  Just saying.

CAPCom

Quote from: JayT on November 12, 2018, 03:15:08 AM

Just curious.

DeRosa

As he said, "Just curious".  The only stupid question is one not asked. ;-)

EMT-83

Quote from: OldGuy on November 12, 2018, 01:35:36 AM

Ham isn't an acronym or initialization, no need to capitalize.

Except under very limited circumstances, amateur radio stations are only allowed to communicate with other amateurs. What changed was the requirement that radios used on CAP frequencies must be NTIA compliant, which most aren't.

CAPed Crusader

Quote from: JayT on November 12, 2018, 03:15:08 AM

Just curious.

DeRosa

because CAP is civilian and we support the USAF

TheSkyHornet

Guys, you're using terms that cadets likely won't understand, let alone many 'civilians.'

"Civil Service" does not mean "volunteer." Civil servants are federal employees. The U.S. Post Office is an example, or a National Park Service Ranger ("Smokey, the Bear").

CAP is its own organization; a non-profit corporation. We may provide a service in contribution to the federal government, but we do not serve under the federal government; we don't report up to Congress or the President.