Main Menu

EMT badges

Started by I_Am_Twigs, February 08, 2018, 05:33:01 PM

I_Am_Twigs

So I've been looking through 39-1 to see what badges I can work towards and one of the ones I found was the EMT, EMT-intermediate, and Paramedic. I have dug through a ton of regs and can't find any age or education requirements. Did I miss/overlook something? Thanks in advance!

Here's the basic badge
https://www.vanguardmil.com/products/civil-air-patrol-paramedic-emergency-medical-technician-badge
C/Maj, CAP
"Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen." --Winston Churchill

PHall

You have to be a qualified and licensed EMT or Paramedic is the state you live in. CAP will not train you.
Most CAP members who qualify for these badges work for either an Ambulance company or a Fire Department.

grunt82abn

Quote from: I_Am_Twigs on February 08, 2018, 05:33:01 PM
So I've been looking through 39-1 to see what badges I can work towards and one of the ones I found was the EMT, EMT-intermediate, and Paramedic. I have dug through a ton of regs and can't find any age or education requirements. Did I miss/overlook something? Thanks in advance!

Here's the basic badge
https://www.vanguardmil.com/products/civil-air-patrol-paramedic-emergency-medical-technician-badge
PHall is correct! You must be a licensed and certified Basic, Intermediate, or Paramedic. Most community colleges offer the courses, and it's a great profession to get into. Just make sure it's something you want to do versus chasing it for a badge. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sean Riley, TSGT
US Army 1987 to 1994, WIARNG 1994 to 2008
DoD Firefighter Paramedic 2000 to Present

EMT-83

Great profession? Not no much. It's a calling: you either have it or you don't.

EMT pay isn't much better than flipping burgers at Mickey D's.

grunt82abn

Quote from: EMT-83 on February 10, 2018, 01:13:51 PM
Great profession? Not no much. It's a calling: you either have it or you don't.

EMT pay isn't much better than flipping burgers at Mickey D's.
To answer you question, Yes! But then again, I'm a firefighter Paramedic who gets paid well, so to me it's a profession.

Sean Riley, TSGT

I_Am_Twigs

I've been planning to go to the AFA and afterwards go to flight school for HH-60 Pavehawks. So I think medical would be a good field for that job, so it's not just for the badge (although it looks cool). My only problem is that I'm only 15, and I'm not sure I'd be able to work with a FD or an ambulance company...
C/Maj, CAP
"Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen." --Winston Churchill

Spam

Quote from: I_Am_Twigs on February 10, 2018, 09:00:13 PM
I've been planning to go to the AFA and afterwards go to flight school for HH-60 Pavehawks. So I think medical would be a good field for that job, so it's not just for the badge (although it looks cool). My only problem is that I'm only 15, and I'm not sure I'd be able to work with a FD or an ambulance company...

Hi Twigs.

Best of luck with your career ambitions. Your comment re: Pave Hawk pilot quals intrigued me, since none of their pilots with whom I've been working over the past year (Tucson and AD) are EMT qualified (I asked, last summer, while writing some HH-60G CONOPS documentation). I just checked the TTPs, and the pilots apparently don't have any EMT role. They leave it to the pros in back it seems. So, if you really wanted to invest effort towards a competitive selection for that community, then you might want to rethink putting it towards aerospace and STEM topics rather than EMT (valuable though EMT training is). Just a suggestion.

Any AD/ANG Pave Hawk guys here to chip in? Flying Pig - any RW aspirant advice for him?

Really, Twigs, good luck! Come back in a few and let us know how it turns out.

V/r
Spam

lordmonar

PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

LSThiker

Quote from: Spam on February 10, 2018, 09:22:45 PM
Any AD/ANG Pave Hawk guys here to chip in? Flying Pig - any RW aspirant advice for him?

Never worked with Pave Hawks, but worked with plenty of MEDEVAC pilots (67J).  Only one had an EMT license.  All the others did not have any medical or biosciences backgrounds.  The one that did have an EMT license was working as an EMT prior to joining the Army, but was also a private pilot.

Geber

If you want to go to AFA and then be a pilot, another poster suggested majoring in an aerospace or STEM subject. I don't know how pilots are selected, but I'm an electrical engineer and EMT, so know about STEM. A four-year bachelor's degree focused on medicine would lead to more than a paramedic certificate. It could lead to a registered nurse license, or preparation for medical school or a similar field (dentistry, for example). Such a qualification would include lots of cross-disciplinary math and science such as calculus and physics, which might be a plus for pilot selection.

Being an EMT or Advanced EMT would be valuable on your resume for getting into graduate school, but would be something you squeeze into your schedule after classes, or during summer break. If you live in a rural or surburban area, you may be able to get a volunteer position as an Emergency Medical Responder at age 16. No CAP badge, but give you pretty much the same experience under your belt.

whatevah

Full-time EMT here, in a medical family... Like the others have said, you won't need EMT to be a pilot, even on a medevac, since your interaction with any patient will usually be limited to helping move them from your aircraft onto a stretcher at the receiving hospital. And, even then there is usually staff there to do that.

That said, EMR or EMT training isn't *that* difficult and is good to have, especially if you're in a rural area or go out fishing or hiking away from civilization. If you get into a volunteer fire department, many of them are starting to require EMR training for their firefighters (and providing it for free, just takes a few weekends).  EMR won't get you a badge, but it's a lot less of a time commitment and gives a lot of bang for the proverbial buck.
Jerry Horn
CAPTalk Co-Admin

PHall

Quote from: Spam on February 10, 2018, 09:22:45 PM
Quote from: I_Am_Twigs on February 10, 2018, 09:00:13 PM

Hi Twigs.

Best of luck with your career ambitions. Your comment re: Pave Hawk pilot quals intrigued me, since none of their pilots with whom I've been working over the past year (Tucson and AD) are EMT qualified (I asked, last summer, while writing some HH-60G CONOPS documentation). I just checked the TTPs, and the pilots apparently don't have any EMT role. They leave it to the pros in back it seems. So, if you really wanted to invest effort towards a competitive selection for that community, then you might want to rethink putting it towards aerospace and STEM topics rather than EMT (valuable though EMT training is). Just a suggestion.

Really, Twigs, good luck! Come back in a few and let us know how it turns out.

V/r
Spam

Pilots fly the aircraft. That is their sole job. The PJ's are the medical experts and the Flight Engineer and Crew Chief/Gunner help when they can.

KarlIceman

Here's the basic badge
Check your local and state laws and requirements.... the courses cost money and time and annu al refresher training...remember there is more to CAP than the number of badges one can earn...

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I_Am_Twigs

A couple months ago I witnessed a car crash and did the best I could to help but I felt like I could do more. So now I'm trying to use CAP and my resources to get more into the medical field (yes I know that pilots don't use that knowledge much but as the boy scouts say "be prepared"). So I'm not just here for the badges, I'm here so I can learn and gain knowledge. That way I can do my best to help out in or prevent any emergency that might happen around me. Yes the badges look cool and all but that's not my motivation.

Thank you everyone for helping me out on this!

-Twigs
C/Maj, CAP

grunt82abn

Quote from: I_Am_Twigs on February 12, 2018, 04:49:14 PM
A couple months ago I witnessed a car crash and did the best I could to help but I felt like I could do more. So now I'm trying to use CAP and my resources to get more into the medical field (yes I know that pilots don't use that knowledge much but as the boy scouts say "be prepared"). So I'm not just here for the badges, I'm here so I can learn and gain knowledge. That way I can do my best to help out in or prevent any emergency that might happen around me. Yes the badges look cool and all but that's not my motivation.

Thank you everyone for helping me out on this!

-Twigs
Nothing wrong ever gaining more knowledge!

Sean Riley, TSGT

hamburgee

Quote from: whatevah on February 11, 2018, 01:31:23 AMEMR won't get you a badge, ...
It will get you a patch, but unfortunately you can't wear it on CAP uniforms:

Michael Mazanec

If you have an interest in going into the medical field, I would recommend looking into all the class options for Emergency First Responders. I have been an EMT since 1998 and I think it is one of the best things I have ever done. I know people who went to EMT school and on their first call on their ride along, quit school. I would start with you first aid classes and then maybe go to CFR (certified first responder) before jumping right into EMT school.

Good luck with it!

KC3CTT

Here's the basic badge
My understanding is that the education requirement is being a certified EMT for the county in which you reside. In PA, EMT courses (offered through local community colleges, fire departments or EMS agencies), run approximately $1000 - $1200.

As far as age is concerned, that would depend on the governing agency (usually the local county). For National EMT certification the age is 18. Sometimes counties will certify individuals under 18 with written permission from a parent.

Unless I'm mistaken once you're certifified, you are authorized to wear the badge, based on similar requirements for nurses. I looked at this regulation personally as I am a nurse.

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk

hamburgee

Quote from: KC3CTT on February 14, 2018, 12:02:43 PM
My understanding is that the education requirement is being a certified EMT for the county in which you reside.
The requirement is actually to be state-certified, as far as I'm aware.

KC3CTT

Quote from: hamburgee on February 14, 2018, 06:43:31 PM
Quote from: KC3CTT on February 14, 2018, 12:02:43 PM
My understanding is that the education requirement is being a certified EMT for the county in which you reside.
The requirement is actually to be state-certified, as far as I'm aware.
Just did a little research since things constantly change. In PA, EMT certification is overseen at the state level and a person  can be certified at age 16.

However in Maryland, a state level exam is also required and it appears you must be 18 years of age.

Back in my day, as an EMT in California (circa late 1980's) it was handled at the county level.

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk