Blue BDU - where to get aquamarine insignia?

Started by Fester, January 29, 2018, 06:54:11 AM

Fester

I can't find any aquamarine items on Vanguard.  Any guidance?
1stLt, CAP
Squadron CC
Group CPO
Eaker - 1996

Castle Bravo

I'm no particular expert on colors but if you are talking about the old lighter blue that was used on name tags and such, I do believe vanguard has ceased all sales of them and you would probably have to reach out to the CAP community to get whatever you may be looking for. I'm sure a good amount of people here have a surplus of the things you may be looking for and it would likely be a lot cheaper than to get it from vanguard.

mdickinson

Quote from: Fester on January 29, 2018, 06:54:11 AM

You can't get that color new any more (from Vanguard or anywhere else).

I've got a bunch of items left over. What do you need?

Someone should probably start an "ultramarine blue items swap board" on captalk :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

foo

Are you under the impression the Corporate Field Duty uniform requires ultramarine insignia?

hamburgee

The ultramarine accroutments are being phased out currently and are no longer required on any uniforms, the new dark navy that you see on ABUs are now authorized for BDUs and BBDUs alike as well. I suggest you go with these because in a few years, ultramarine will no longer be authorized on any of our uniforms and it'll save you a couple bucks in the long run.

Holding Pattern

Also, the new color looks WAY BETTER than the old one.

hamburgee

Quote from: Mordecai on January 29, 2018, 03:58:46 PM
Also, the new color looks WAY BETTER than the old one.
Especially on the BBDUs, they match perfectly!

SarDragon

By the way, that's ultramarine.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

foo

mdickinson

Quote from: foo on January 29, 2018, 01:37:25 PM

Are you under the impression the Corporate Field Duty uniform requires ultramarine insignia?
My guess is that the OP has a uniform that's fully fitted out with ultramarine blue insignia, and has just been promoted (or earned an additional Aviation or GT badge). He doesn't want to replace all his insignia with dark blue.

Is it written in the uniform manual they on can't mix the old blue and the new blue on a single field uniform shirt? I assume it is...

Fester

Quote from: hamburgee on January 29, 2018, 03:39:10 PM
The ultramarine accroutments are being phased out currently and are no longer required on any uniforms, the new dark navy that you see on ABUs are now authorized for BDUs and BBDUs alike as well. I suggest you go with these because in a few years, ultramarine will no longer be authorized on any of our uniforms and it'll save you a couple bucks in the long run.

I can't find that in any written documentation online.  Can you point me in that direction?  Not that I don't want to just take your word for it.  But "Trust, but verify."  :)
1stLt, CAP
Squadron CC
Group CPO
Eaker - 1996

Fester

Quote from: mdickinson on January 29, 2018, 07:28:33 PM
Quote from: foo on January 29, 2018, 01:37:25 PM

My guess is that the OP has a uniform that's fully fitted out with ultramarine blue insignia, and has just been promoted (or earned an additional Aviation or GT badge). He doesn't want to replace all his insignia with dark blue.

Is it written in the uniform manual they on can't mix the old blue and the new blue on a single field uniform shirt? I assume it is...

Good lord, no.  I've put on a bit of weight in that 20 year break.  Which is why I now have to opt for the BBDU.  :(
1stLt, CAP
Squadron CC
Group CPO
Eaker - 1996

foo

That's a good guess, but apparently not the case:

http://captalk.net/index.php?topic=22794.msg411316#msg411316

Yes it is. I believe it's addressed in the ABU announcement letter, which I can no longer find on the new capmembers.com web site.

hamburgee

Quote from: foo on January 29, 2018, 07:35:32 PM
Yes it is. I believe it's addressed in the ABU announcement letter, which I can no longer find on the new capmembers.com web site.
Ditto, I can't find it, but it is indeed authorized. I'll look around for it.

sardak

Attached is the letter authorizing the dark blue tapes on the BDUs and corporate field uniforms. It states that all "devices" on the uniform must match.

Mike

foo

https://www.capmembers.com/media/cms/letter_D5FAEC5658C32.pdf

3. The phase in period for wear of the ABU will begin on 15 June 2016. Members will wear the ABU with the dark blue tapes and insignia as outlined in the attached wear instructions. Vanguard will begin accepting orders for the new devices on 15 June 2016. The Battle Dress Uniform (BDU) may continue to be worn until the mandatory phase out date of 15 June 2021. CAP will also begin to transition to dark blue tapes on the Corporate field uniform and BDUs with a mandatory wear date of 15 June 2021. Members are not required to change the tapes on existing uniforms until the mandatory wear date; however, all devices on the uniform must match. The attached wear instructions will constitute regulatory guidance on the wear of the ABU until a revision to CAP Manual 39-1 is released.

Fester

Quote from: foo on January 29, 2018, 09:44:56 PM
https://www.capmembers.com/media/cms/letter_D5FAEC5658C32.pdf

3. The phase in period for wear of the ABU will begin on 15 June 2016. Members will wear the ABU with the dark blue tapes and insignia as outlined in the attached wear instructions. Vanguard will begin accepting orders for the new devices on 15 June 2016. The Battle Dress Uniform (BDU) may continue to be worn until the mandatory phase out date of 15 June 2021. CAP will also begin to transition to dark blue tapes on the Corporate field uniform and BDUs with a mandatory wear date of 15 June 2021. Members are not required to change the tapes on existing uniforms until the mandatory wear date; however, all devices on the uniform must match. The attached wear instructions will constitute regulatory guidance on the wear of the ABU until a revision to CAP Manual 39-1 is released.

Thank you.  That is what I was looking for.
1stLt, CAP
Squadron CC
Group CPO
Eaker - 1996

Chad.Rogers

Quote from: sardak on January 29, 2018, 09:43:45 PM
Attached is the letter authorizing the dark blue tapes on the BDUs and corporate field uniforms. It states that all "devices" on the uniform must match.

Mike

Are our military badges now required to be on matching material? I didn't catch anything in the 2014 uniform manual mentioning it one way or another.

Fester

Quote from: Chad.Rogers on February 07, 2018, 03:07:09 AM
Quote from: sardak on January 29, 2018, 09:43:45 PM

Mike

Are our military badges now required to be on matching material? I didn't catch anything in the 2014 uniform manual mentioning it one way or another.

"5.2.1.4.10. Military badges are not authorized with this uniform."
1stLt, CAP
Squadron CC
Group CPO
Eaker - 1996

hamburgee

Quote from: Chad.Rogers on February 07, 2018, 03:07:09 AMAre our military badges now required to be on matching material? I didn't catch anything in the 2014 uniform manual mentioning it one way or another.
From 5.1.1.3.10, "... Military badges on the BDUs may be worn in subdued colors as previously authorized by the Air Force for the BDUs if they cannot be obtained in ultramarine fabric."

I believe this implies that they should preferably match, but aren't required to. But as Fester said, they are not authorized on the BBDUs.