Main Menu

AEM Membership

Started by Bear5797, December 21, 2017, 05:30:15 PM

Bear5797

I joined using the Educator form online, I received a CAP temp I'd card and member number. As a new AEM member, do I need to "rejoin" CAP to participate or?

Eclipse

Quote from: Bear5797 on December 21, 2017, 05:30:15 PM
I joined using the Educator form online, I received a CAP temp I'd card and member number. As a new AEM member, do I need to "rejoin" CAP to participate or?

Yes - AEM's are not full members with normal privileges.

To join as a regular member you will need to find a squadron near you, visit them,
attend some meetings, discuss expectations and opportunities CAP has to offer, and
be approved by the membership board.

Your respective wing (state), likely has dues that are more then $35, however you may be able to convert
during your first year at no additional charge,

I would suggest ordering any and all AEM materials you may want before converting your membership
as those won't be available to you after.

"That Others May Zoom"

TheSkyHornet

We had an AEM come visit. He ended up joining and becoming our AEO. After 8-10 months, he's decided he wants to go back to being an AEM due to the commitment at the unit level. We did explain that this would result in him no longer being a member of the squadron, and while he may be invited to some of the social events that are generally open to members and their families/friends, he would be excluded from participating in any training events and activities specific to CAP members only.

So if you joined as an AEM but want to become a full senior member, you'll need to go through that process to reapply as a member of a local unit. AEMs are really classroom educators for the most part; they do not generally participate with squadrons except for certain events.

Bear5797

Why would you exclude a past or AEM member from a Social Event?

Eclipse

Quote from: Bear5797 on December 22, 2017, 12:34:30 AM
Why would you exclude a past or AEM member from a Social Event?

>Any< CAP activity has to be approved through one process or another, and brings with it
administrative requirements and legal implications, including potential liability, and there may
also be issues with the venue, which in most cases is donated space used under a specified-use
agreement from the landlord or owner.

An activity which was planned, and approved, to be open to the general public, could include
past and present AEMs, but something not open to the public might not, by design.

As a unit CC, I like my house to much to have someone who isn't a member choke on
our holiday pizza and sue.

"That Others May Zoom"

TheSkyHornet

Going off of Eclipse, that's basically it. Not every activity is open to the world. Sometimes, social outings are a "treat" or "reward" for the unit---incentives to meet morale. If we hold a Dining In, we're not going to be inviting every former member and everyone's kin folk. We invite our unit members and a special guest, not all of CAP.