Main Menu

Tie tac or tie bar?

Started by ChamorroPride, August 19, 2017, 04:10:42 PM

ChamorroPride

Hey everybody, just curious onto what is preferred here. Ordering a tie from Vanguard and wondering which would be better suited.
C/CMSgt Jacob A. Halbrook, CAP
Cadet First Sergeant
NER-NY-283

Abby.L

No requirement for one over the other, so wearer's choice. Tie bars look nice when oriented properly, but are fairly prone to going crooked or lopsided. Tie tacs are less prone to going lopsided, but involve stabbing the tie, so may want to avoid if it's a nice tie.
Capt Abby R. Lockling
SSgt(Sep) USAF, 41ECS
Charlie flight, NBB 2013

Eclipse

Tie Tac.

Gentlemen always wear one, regardless of the requirement.

"That Others May Zoom"

kwe1009

Which is the most popular in your squadron.  I would check there before ordering anything.

THRAWN

Quote from: Eclipse on August 19, 2017, 04:21:00 PM
Tie Tac.

I wear one with a uni and with the civ bag.
Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

Pylon

Tie Tac.

I must not be a gentleman, then.  ;)
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

NIN

Quote from: Levi Lockling on August 19, 2017, 04:16:38 PM
No requirement for one over the other, so wearer's choice. Tie bars look nice when oriented properly, but are fairly prone to going crooked or lopsided. Tie tacs are less prone to going lopsided, but involve stabbing the tie, so may want to avoid if it's a nice tie.

I'm preferable to the bar. The tac used to eventually wear out my ties.
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

SarDragon

Quote from: Pylon on August 19, 2017, 07:37:47 PM
Tie Tac.

I must not be a gentleman, then.  ;)

Of course not - you're a freakin' Marine!
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Chappie

For years, I used the tie tac...but the tie tac kept turning and I went through several ties due to the stab wounds and the threads running.  Eventually began using the tie bar...less ties needed to be purchased :)
Disclaimer:  Not to be confused with the other user that goes by "Chappy"   :)

Capt Thompson

I never much liked the CAP tie bar because it doesn't go all the way across the tie. Vanguard also sells the Air Force tie bars, with the Hap Arnold wing and star design, or the Officer's ranks, which are authorized in 39-1:

4.1.5.7. Tie. A tie will be worn with the service dress uniform. The tie will be either blue
polyester or silk, herringbone twill. The tip of the tie must cover a portion of the belt buckle, but cannot
extend below the bottom of the belt buckle. A tie tack or clasp may be worn with the tie. If worn, the tie
tack or clasp will have the CAP Crest, "wing and star" design, AF symbol, or the appropriate rank
insignia.
The tie tack or clasp will be centered between the bottom edge of the knot and the bottom tip of
the tie.

These go all the way across the tie, and look much nicer in my opinion.

Capt Matt Thompson
Deputy Commander for Cadets, Historian, Public Affairs Officer

Mitchell - 31 OCT 98 (#44670) Earhart - 1 OCT 00 (#11401)

Capt Thompson

Looking at the VG website, it looks like the CAP Crest tie bars are the longer kind now as well, has anyone ordered one recently and can confirm? All of the ones I have only go about 60% of the way across the tie, with the crest offset to one side.
Capt Matt Thompson
Deputy Commander for Cadets, Historian, Public Affairs Officer

Mitchell - 31 OCT 98 (#44670) Earhart - 1 OCT 00 (#11401)

LATORRECA

Tie tac

Sent from my HTC Desire 530 using Tapatalk

Adam B

I prefer the tie tack. I've got two, CAP crest and the wings and star.
I also have a tie-bar, but like Lt Thompson said, it only covers about half of the tie. Looks silly if you ask me.

Another advantage of the tack over the bar, is that the tack allows the tie to move a little bit, but not too much.
The bar, on the other hand, clamps the tie tightly against the shirt. Again, looking silly.
Plus, if you're a cadet officer, you could probably wear a mini insignia as a tie-tac and not have to spend any extra money.

One word of warning, though. Once you poke a hole through your tie, that hole stays there.
If you wear a tie-tack once, you wear a tie-tack forever.

Adam

ColonelJack

I'm more of a "neither one" person, when possible.

The herringbone uniform tie I have comes with some buttonholes in the skinny end.  I tuck the skinny end through the label on the back side of the tie and then button it to my shirt.

This works as long as the label doesn't come off, of course.  Some of the newer ties, I understand, have a loop on the back for just this purpose now.

That way, I don't worry about poking holes in the tie nor about a tie bar that doesn't quite "measure up."

(N.B. - When I do have to wear one, I prefer the tie tack with a silver leaf or the wings and star.  The CAP crest is somehow too "gaudy," if you catch my meaning.)

Jack
Jack Bagley, Ed. D.
Lt. Col., CAP (now inactive)
Gill Robb Wilson Award No. 1366, 29 Nov 1991
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
Honorary Admiral, Navy of the Republic of Molossia