Solar Eclipse Viewing Spot in TNWG?

Started by ♠SARKID♠, August 16, 2017, 06:05:27 AM

♠SARKID♠

Shot in the dark, not sure how many TNWG folks we have here, but me and the little lady are making a weekend trip out of the upcoming solar eclipse. I haven't nailed down where we are going to go to watch it though, and I would like to get something in place so we're not scrambling. Are there any CAP squadrons planning a viewing party between Knoxville and Nashville that we could crash? Or recommendations for a spot in totality that might not be bat guano crazy with out-of-towners like myself? We'll wake the up day of in Sevierville and can go anywhere west along I-40, or reasonably close to it.

Totality or bust!  8) 8) 8)

AlphaSigOU

Path of totality will pass through Clarksville, Nashville, Murfreesboro and Chattanooga. Roughly, along I-24.
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

♠SARKID♠

I know it, I'm just trying to see if somebody is having a party that would be willing to accept a WIWG visitor. Wisconsin's finest beer and cheese can be provided.
Backup plan is the airport at Crossville or the side of a farm field wherever.

Eclipse

If you don't find a benevolent host, I hope your car has good reclining seats, there's no way
you're going to find anything in a decent hotel anywhere along the totality.

#1 & #2 sons are going with mom and the scouts down "South of where people are supposed to live" to see it.

Me? I'm going to go downstairs to the Starbucks, order the most expensive drink I can, and then
threaten to block out the sun unless they give it to me for free.

Pretty sure that's a solid plan.

"That Others May Zoom"

♠SARKID♠

Accommodations are all taken care of. We're stealing her parents unused timeshare points  ;D

Operation Starbucks Shaman is a go. Solid plan.

NIN

Just show them your screen name here and they will know you are serious

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

THRAWN

Quote from: ♠SARKID♠ on August 16, 2017, 06:05:27 AM
Shot in the dark, not sure how many TNWG folks we have here, but me and the little lady are making a weekend trip out of the upcoming solar eclipse. I haven't nailed down where we are going to go to watch it though, and I would like to get something in place so we're not scrambling. Are there any CAP squadrons planning a viewing party between Knoxville and Nashville that we could crash? Or recommendations for a spot in totality that might not be bat guano crazy with out-of-towners like myself? We'll wake the up day of in Sevierville and can go anywhere west along I-40, or reasonably close to it.

Totality or bust!  8) 8) 8)

Check out public libraries, local/county/state parks, and science museums. I know in my area, there are about 40-50 watch parties at various locations, not counting the parties that individuals are throwing. Which leads me to the question: do people actually work anymore? This is taking place in the middle of the afternoon on a work day....hippies.....

This is Seiver County Library's page: http://www.sevierlibrary.org/
Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

NIN

My neighbor was going to surprise my wife & I with a pair of eclipse glasses (holy smokes? Eclipse glasses? Talk about the Pet Rock of the aught-tens?). She stood in line at the local science center for an hour when they opened yesterday only to find out a) the UPS delivery was late; and b) there weren't enough pairs on order anyway to accommodate the 8.2 million people standing in line ahead of her and they literally ran out of glasses 2 people in front of her.

I told her that it was OK, I was already planning to build a pinhole camera to watch the eclipse with. 

"But don't you want to watch it live?"

"I will be watching it live, but without the burning need to crane my neck into an awkward position and then need the equivalent of welder's goggles just to do so."

"but.. how can you watch it?"

"I can stand there and look at the projected image and not burn my eyeballs into oblivion."

<head asplodes>

JPL already gave us instructions in the event we needed them: https://www.jpl.nasa.gov/edu/learn/project/how-to-make-a-pinhole-camera/

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Luis R. Ramos

Thrawn, its SUMMER! Probably lots of people are taking vacation to see it...

I would like to watch it but in New York City it will not be that spectacular... And I am not willing to drive, travel, or DO anything.

Maybe I will write a script on something happening, like the film The Day of the Comet... or was it The Night of the Comet?

>:D
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

SarDragon

I am currently 45 min (normal drive time) away from the totality band (here for entirely different reasons, leaving today), and the craziness has already started. That 45 minute drive is anticipated to take 7+ hours starting Sunday. No thanks. 60% pinhole camera view for me.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

♠SARKID♠

Quote from: SarDragon on August 17, 2017, 04:30:54 PM
I am currently 45 min (normal drive time) away from the totality band (here for entirely different reasons, leaving today), and the craziness has already started. That 45 minute drive is anticipated to take 7+ hours starting Sunday. No thanks. 60% pinhole camera view for me.

What's your source on that estimate?

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: ♠SARKID♠ on August 17, 2017, 05:08:45 PM

And 45 minutes, yet only 60% coverage? What/

Eclipse

We're going to have something like 80+percent coverage right ourside my window, I can't imagine driving
14-18+ hours round trip, not including crazy traffic, etc. for 10%.  I just had lunch with a client
who >is< making the run and he said all the airpoprts he's checked indicate "stay away, we're full".

Of much more interest here, (though for me it's only marginal for tha, either) is the A&WS.
Something fast and loud just screamed over the Loop just now.
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/ct-air-water-if-you-go-2017-htmlstory.html

"That Others May Zoom"

SarDragon

The local newspaper. It's 4-lane undivided highway with traffic lights.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

SarDragon

Won't be here on Monday. We'll be far away.

Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

♠SARKID♠

Quote from: Eclipse on August 17, 2017, 06:59:20 PM
We're going to have something like 80+percent coverage right ourside my window, I can't imagine driving
14-18+ hours round trip, not including crazy traffic, etc. for 10%.  I just had lunch with a client
who >is< making the run and he said all the airpoprts he's checked indicate "stay away, we're full".

No beads, no diamond ring, no 360° sunrise colors, no seeing Venus, Jupiter, Mars, and Mercury in the middle of the day, no shadow bands. I'm too much of a geek to miss all of that.

SarDragon

Quote from: Майор Хаткевич on August 17, 2017, 05:49:58 PM
Quote from: [emoji812]SARKID[emoji812] on August 17, 2017, 05:08:45 PM

And 45 minutes, yet only 60% coverage? What/
We are currently headed south, away from a prime viewing area. The US Highway we are on has had a steady line of traffic (many campers and RVs) northbound since got on the road at 1130. Can't wait to get on the Interstate.

Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

SarDragon

Well, the Interstate was much better.

Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

JoeTomasone

Everyone please keep safety in mind.   Without proper precautions, you can cause irreparable damage to your corneas. 

https://eclipse2017.nasa.gov/safety

Ozzy

I'm a bit lucky I moved down to Atlanta a few weeks ago. Looks like I'm in the ~98% band and will be easily able to see it while working. Now to try to find these eclipse glasses...

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

Ozyilmaz, MSgt, CAP
C/Lt. Colonel (Ret.)
NYWG Encampment 07, 08, 09, 10, 17
CTWG Encampment 09, 11, 16
NER Cadet Leadership School 10
GAWG Encampment 18, 19
FLWG Winter Encampment 19