Reg Preview: CAPR 35-9 [BOG] AND REGION AND WING COMMANDER SELECTION PROCEDURES

Started by Mustang, July 19, 2017, 08:12:10 PM

Mustang

https://www.capmembers.com/media/cms/CAPR359__01_AUG_2017_5FCA97FE11C42.pdf

Initial thoughts:

On BoG member-at-large selections: interesting that "best qualified" is still predominantly subjective. Only the basic qualifications ennumerated in the Constitution and Bylaws (Major or above, Level IV+, 5 years membership).

On Region/Wing commander selections: Far more concerning.

Minimum qualifications have been greatly expanded, I'll just list those for Wing Commander for now:

• Hold the CAP grade of Lt Col
  • Hold at least a Senior rating in the Command Specialty Track
  • Three years command and staff experience at any level within a wing
  • Five years total CAP membership with no less than three continuous years prior to appointment
  • Completion of Level V
  • Demonstrated budget and asset acquisition knowledge, gained within or outside CAP
  • Verifiable five years supervisory experience, gained within or outside CAP
  • Reside, for the duration of the term, within the region/wing for which applying. Infrequent, temporary absences of short duration are permissible
  • Any other requirement CAP/CC deems essential to meet CAP's needs that are known at the time of the announcement
  • Hold at least a [Technician] rating in the three mission areas of Emergency Services, Cadet Programs and Aerospace Education
  • Prior to appointment, individual must successfully complete a fingerprint rescreening
  • Three letters of recommendation

I'll comment on only a couple of these.

Senior rating in Command specialty track. Anybody read CAPP 222? It's the only specialty track for which you must have both unit and wing commander approval to even enroll, and there is no adjudication process if either of them denies your request. While this requirement seems like a good idea, it has much potential for cronyism. It's an easy way for commanders to limit the pool of eligibles to favored individuals.

Demonstrated budget and asset acquisition knowlege, gained within or outside CAP. This is entirely subjective, it isn't quantified anywhere. Nor is it taught in any of CAP's PME courses. So how does one attain it? I suspect most wing CCs get it via serving on their Wing Finance Committee, which is a by-invitation affair in most (all?) wings.

Verifiable five years supervisory experience, gained within or outside CAP. Taco Bell assistant managers, come on down!

Reside, for the duration of the term, within the region/wing for which applying. Infrequent, temporary absences of short duration are permissible. What of an applicant who is, say, an airline pilot, who is frequently temporarily absent for short periods? Ineligible by this standard. I know of at least one current wing commander who doesn't live within the wing he commands.  And I know of at least one region commander who spends a significant percentage of his time outside his region.

And then there's my favorite part, where any of these can be waived by the region commander (with CAP/CC concurrence). Can be done selectively; there is no requirement to waive the requirement for all applicants.  Also, consider an example where two people apply, one lacking the required Command track rating, one lacking budget/acquisition knowledge.  "Sorry applicant #1; I'll waive budget/acquisition knowledge but that Command track rating is essential!"

So yeah: it all sounds reasonable on first blush, but too many loopholes upon further examination. Bottom line, region commanders are going to continue to choose who they want, and we're not necessarily getting good leaders out of it.
"Amateurs train until they get it right; Professionals train until they cannot get it wrong. "

lordmonar

Quote from: Mustang on July 19, 2017, 08:12:10 PM
Senior rating in Command specialty track. Anybody read CAPP 222? It's the only specialty track for which you must have both unit and wing commander approval to even enroll, and there is no adjudication process if either of them denies your request. While this requirement seems like a good idea, it has much potential for cronyism. It's an easy way for commanders to limit the pool of eligibles to favored individuals.
Yes that is possible but to what end?   With the new governance we have in place the need for cronyism for political reasons is gone.   On the other hand....if you can't get both your unit and wing commander to sign off on you.....because you don't work/play well with others....they may be a good reason for that.

QuoteDemonstrated budget and asset acquisition knowlege, gained within or outside CAP. This is entirely subjective, it isn't quantified anywhere. Nor is it taught in any of CAP's PME courses. So how does one attain it? I suspect most wing CCs get it via serving on their Wing Finance Committee, which is a by-invitation affair in most (all?) wings.
Good question. 

QuoteVerifiable five years supervisory experience, gained within or outside CAP. Taco Bell assistant managers, come on down!
And?   

QuoteReside, for the duration of the term, within the region/wing for which applying. Infrequent, temporary absences of short duration are permissible. What of an applicant who is, say, an airline pilot, who is frequently temporarily absent for short periods? Ineligible by this standard. I know of at least one current wing commander who doesn't live within the wing he commands.  And I know of at least one region commander who spends a significant percentage of his time outside his region.
I guess it would be up to the region or national command if they feel in their opinion that your job commitments will interfere with your CAP commitments.   As for current sitting commanders who don't meet this rule.....maybe that is whey the wrote the rule.   So that their replacements DO reside withing their command area.

QuoteAnd then there's my favorite part, where any of these can be waived by the region commander (with CAP/CC concurrence). Can be done selectively; there is no requirement to waive the requirement for all applicants.  Also, consider an example where two people apply, one lacking the required Command track rating, one lacking budget/acquisition knowledge.  "Sorry applicant #1; I'll waive budget/acquisition knowledge but that Command track rating is essential!"
Well....that's the nature of waivers.   If in the best interest in CAP it make sense to waive some or all of the requirements...the regulations gives the commander the ability to do that.    The other side your scenario is "Sorry John.....I mean you would be a perfect fit for the job....but because you only have 4 years 10 months of membership you can't apply for this job.   Try again in 3 years."

QuoteSo yeah: it all sounds reasonable on first blush, but too many loopholes upon further examination. Bottom line, region commanders are going to continue to choose who they want, and we're not necessarily getting good leaders out of it.
Yep...that's gonna happen no matter what.  We structure the rules so that we limit the amount of BS.   If there is a real case of someone doing something unethical we at least have the over-watch of any waivers having to be approved by higher HQ.      It is not perfect.  But as you say....sounds reasonable at first blush and we should assume involved with the process is working on good faith.

If you got a bad player.....no matter how restrictive you write the regulation.....they are still going to be a bad player.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP