Best Encampment (Activity wise)

Started by jfkspotting, May 30, 2017, 11:09:34 PM

jfkspotting

Which encampment in all 52 wings has the best assortment and schedule of activities, whether it be flying in military aircraft or other cadet activities? Having the opportunity to go to other encampments, which is the best? PLEASE DON'T REPLY "mine"!

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

Ozzy

Ozyilmaz, MSgt, CAP
C/Lt. Colonel (Ret.)
NYWG Encampment 07, 08, 09, 10, 17
CTWG Encampment 09, 11, 16
NER Cadet Leadership School 10
GAWG Encampment 18, 19
FLWG Winter Encampment 19

SarDragon

Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

PHall

Mitchell 1969

You aren't going to get a useful answer to the question. There is no "best" encampment because there is no competition to determine that. Encampments follow, or are supposed to follow, the same regulations and provide minimum specified course content.  Beyond that, it becomes a matter of what's available and, most important of all, who's available.

Just pick one that suits your transportation, date and cost parameters. Don't worry about "best" because you'll never find it, all you'll find are opinions that are usually based on exposure to single wings.

[fixed the fat finger typing]

Mitchell 1969; Earhart 1971; Eaker 1973. Cadet Flying Encampment, License, 1970. IACE New Zealand 1971; IACE Korea 1973.

CAP has been bery, bery good to me.

kwe1009

The only person who could answer that question is the one who went to every encampment last year.  I don't think that person exists.

Luis R. Ramos

Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

waukwiz

Cadet Cullen Mayes
Waukesha Composite Squadron
"Ok, how about instead of doing that, let's not do that. Ok?"
GTM1 • MO • MRO • MSA • ♦UDF

best_name_ever

Mitchell 1969

Quote from: kwe1009 on May 31, 2017, 01:17:31 PM
The only person who could answer that question is the one who went to every encampment last year.  I don't think that person exists.

...and even if that person did exist, all that could be determined is which encampment WAS the best in that year. Past encampment experiences are no guarantee of anything in the present or future.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mitchell 1969; Earhart 1971; Eaker 1973. Cadet Flying Encampment, License, 1970. IACE New Zealand 1971; IACE Korea 1973.

CAP has been bery, bery good to me.

Nearly Dark Side

Generally speaking PA, CA, and FL are considered the best overall training. I can't speak to specific activities but as far as learning a lot about being a cadet, those are the three generally better ones. They're also big and tend to attract a lot of wings, PA had students from 8 different wings in 2017. Going as a student to one of these schools means meeting people from all over and making friends dispersed around the nation. Going as staff to one of these means being able to eventually practice leadership on a larger scale, the C/ Wing Commander in PA last year was in command of over 300 cadets.

If money or transport is a large factor though, there's nothing wrong with staying in wing, especially for your basic year.

Fester

Since (from my understanding) CAWG is responsible for the standardization of the Encampment experience, the argument could be made that CAWG has the best encampment.  :)
1stLt, CAP
Squadron CC
Group CPO
Eaker - 1996

kwe1009

Quote from: Fester on January 31, 2018, 07:39:06 PM
Since (from my understanding) CAWG is responsible for the standardization of the Encampment experience, the argument could be made that CAWG has the best encampment.  :)

And an argument could be made that they have the worst for the same reason.   >:D

Fester

Quote from: kwe1009 on January 31, 2018, 07:43:27 PM
Quote from: Fester on January 31, 2018, 07:39:06 PM

And an argument could be made that they have the worst for the same reason.   >:D

I suppose.  If you're not a fan of standardization.  If you're a fan of chaos.
1stLt, CAP
Squadron CC
Group CPO
Eaker - 1996

kwe1009

Not a fan of the death by PowerPoint.

Standardization is good and all encampment should be the same for the most part but I'm not a fan of all of the slides, especially when a big chuck is what they needed to learn to get the Curry so it is just repeating.  Some of the classes are very good, don't get me wrong, I just think it could be done differently.

The_CAP_Life_Chose_Me

I've heard from cadets that CAWG has one of the best encampments but GA and FL I've also heard is pretty good.

For my first Encampment, I went to SC encampment. If you're looking for a basic cadet experience with a bit of a flare I would suggest going their or to CAWG.
C/SSgt Cassie

The_CAP_Life_Chose_Me

Quote from: kwe1009 on January 31, 2018, 07:47:41 PM
Not a fan of the death by PowerPoint.

Standardization is good and all encampment should be the same for the most part but I'm not a fan of all of the slides, especially when a big chuck is what they needed to learn to get the Curry so it is just repeating.  Some of the classes are very good, don't get me wrong, I just think it could be done differently.

Can't agree with you more on that.
C/SSgt Cassie

Noah Pluska

WAWG summer encampment on Whidbey Island was really great and has a good amount of activities.
-C/SMSgt Noah Pluska
PCR-WA-051

Cadet Officer

Aloha Noah,
     I know its been a while since you posted your question but hopefully this helps you and if not maybe others. I do have to say that the Hawaii Wing Encampment is the best for activities. Yes it is my wings encampment but every year we have cadets from all over come for ours. For example last year we had 5 puerto rico cadets come, and anytime we have out of state cadets they always say how different ours is and how its so much better. First off location you will probably have the warmest experience at an encampment thats any other state. But we always do an adventure day where you will get tours of military Aircraft, convoy simulators, weapon simulators and so much more. We also make sure cadets get to experience a full length military grade obstacle course. Hawaii is a special wing for sure due to or geographical problems (lots of water between squadrons) we dont get to see each other very often so when we do its very special and we always enjoy people from other wings to join us. It might not be best to do an out of state encampment for the first year because your already away from home putting that kind of distance and not knowing anyone might be harder on you and your parents, but we do accept staff applications from other states or you could attend as a student again or a member of our advanced training flight.