first Encampment as a Sergeant?

Started by jfkspotting, May 08, 2017, 12:24:36 AM

TheSkyHornet

Frankly, as a Cadet Programs officer, what would I look for---

I would expect that the cadets overseeing your squadron's training (Encampment squadron that is) use you as a team leader in activities. They should expect you as a C/NCO, whether it's your first Encampment or not---as an C/NCO---to step up and keep everyone on track when their instructors aren't around or when their instructors can't manage everyone without that extra support.

If you didn't catch it, this means that you should step up and be willing to be that go-to person with questions, subtle mentoring during the week---being someone that your squadron/flight can look to for guidance. Remind people of how much time they have left. Stay on top of the schedule. Remind them to make their racks and organize their locker/closet/dresser. Keep order without stepping on the toes of your instructors.

What are you doing during your down time? Are you spending it relaxing, or are you going around and seeing how everyone is doing, making sure they have what they need? If you aren't an element leader, make sure you provide guidance and assistance to the element leader, but don't overstep your role (or lack of).

As a C/SSgt, you know CAP more than the C/Airmen; you know nearly everything more than they do. Take what's expected of you as a C/SSgt outside of Encampment, bring it to Encampment, and just keep yourself in check that you aren't trying to run everything.

I had a Chief Petty Officer (E-7) in my Officer Candidate class. He was just as equal as everyone else in the class, except he had more expectations having prior experience. He wasn't a trainer. In fact, he was being taught by other E-7s, and even E-5s and E-6s. He didn't outrank them, but he's still looked at to be a leader within the realm of training.

Prior experience is always appreciated in the training world so long as those with that experience don't try to stage a coup---don't tell everyone "he's wrong; he doesn't know what he's teaching." Just do what you're told, fall in line, but be visible to the lower ranks.

Spam

Quote from: TheSkyHornet on May 18, 2017, 07:58:46 PM

I had a Chief Petty Officer (E-7) in my Officer Candidate class. He was just as equal as everyone else in the class, except he had more expectations having prior experience. He wasn't a trainer. In fact, he was being taught by other E-7s, and even E-5s and E-6s. He didn't outrank them, but he's still looked at to be a leader within the realm of training.

The Navy term, "Bull Ensign" comes to mind... the top dog (usually prior enlisted service) O-1s who doesn't necessarily dominate through vast technical know how, personal magnetism or pushy behavior but by professional team forming and leadership behavior, starting with recognizing first that they are servant leaders taking care of bros and sisters on the team, to thus better accomplish a common mission.

My dad, who passed two weeks ago at the ripe old age of 92, enlisted in '42, drilled after the war as USNR as a senior NCO while getting his engineering degree on the GI bill, and was sent through Annapolis for a quick DCO/OCS style short commissioning course in the Korean call up. A full company of similar veteran guys were in his company, which must have been one of the most atypical training formations imaginable (they needed engineering JO's, badly then... he ended up later interviewing and passing with then-Captain (O-6) Hyman Rickover for the new nuclear Navy). He related a story about some young Academy upperclassmen middies who straight off, saw a chance to have some fun with older guys under their supervision, and started in on them with the hazing stuff. A LCDR observed, called them over, and was overheard to warn them to the effect that "Hey, those guys were killin' Japs while you were in 7th grade, and after you all leave here, they will be commissioned first - you'd better be prepared to call them "Sir". So, cut that crap out and focus on training, 'cause we're back in a shooting war here".

Smart CAP encampment staff will recognize the talent mine in their trainees and use it, not abuse it.

Smart trainees will hold their peace, sublimate their pride, and work to pull their flight together under the appointed staff - not to buck the system, but to prevail as a team.

Cheers
Spam

Mitchell 1969

Quote from: Eclipse on May 17, 2017, 08:51:15 PM
^ So that example, to me, is even worse, and probably more the norm.

You reward a cadet for stepping up and volunteering for staff of an encampment by demoting him?

I'd have to look hard to find that being a good idea.

Sure. Demoting him. Or promoting him. Whichever fit.

I lived through it then (although 48 years ago, not 50). It was NO BIG DEAL.

We arrived sans grade, then positions were allocated. If you got one, you pinned or sewed on the insignia. It was a minor hassle for cadet NCO's, officers had no cloth insignia then.

The advantage was that everybody knew what somebody was with a glance. Five stripes? Flight Sergeant. Six stripes? First sergeant. One pip? Flight Commander. Etc. it was indeed authorized and made sense.

Other Wings used armbands, engraved "position plates" on the shirt or other means. Again, IT WAS NO BIG DEAL.

They eventually did away with it and California admittedly kept it going past the cutoff. I and others objected but were overruled until the hammer finally came down. The reason I objected was because it was contrary to regulations thus making it wrong to continue, even though I personally believed that the system worked. I wasn't upset when the hammer came down, for the same reason as when the policy was allowed by regulation - it was NO BIG DEAL.

It doesn't matter if the flight sergeant is a C/SSgt while a C/CMSgt is a first time student. It doesn't matter if a flight commander if a C/Capt is a flight commander reporting to a C/1stLt squadron commander. It's the assignment that matters, not the rank. It's 7-9 days. People live through it and move on. Just as they did when the temporary grade system was in effect. NO BIG DEAL with either system.

Mitchell 1969; Earhart 1971; Eaker 1973. Cadet Flying Encampment, License, 1970. IACE New Zealand 1971; IACE Korea 1973.

CAP has been bery, bery good to me.

Mitchell 1969

Quote from: wacapgh on May 17, 2017, 07:49:07 PM
Quote from: Eclipse on May 17, 2017, 06:52:23 PM
What possible use would serve?

Authority at enacmpments is positional just like the rest of CAP.
Making a cadet a brevet Major doesn't make him a Major, and he would not have completed the requisite training to theoretically know how to be one.

There's also the non trivial issue of grade being seen sewn on.

I think the entire text in the regs was "A temporary grade structure is authorized for Encampments"

Sewing the the old cloth insignia was one of the excuses for the abuse. If you were on "Staff", you would easily have a set of Class A's, two sets of "1550's", and two sets of fatigues. That's 10 stripes to change out. Buying the hardboards if you were filling an officer position (they were required on all blue uniforms, unless you were a C/WO) required new shirts to attach the snaps and the sleeves on your old ones had dark spots where they were covered by your stripes.

"We need a couple of weeks before and after to do all the sewing" - So there's a month of wearing "temporary grade".
"Staff should wear their grade as soon as they are selected because (any number of reasons)" - There's a couple more months.

By the time it was stopped, you could get away with "temporary grade" for five or six months depending on your Wing policy.

Five or six MONTHS? In CA, it wasn't worn until arrival, and one had to clear the base wearing earned grade. (Or lower. I vividly recall a C/TSgt sewing on chevrons while seated in the usaf bus headed home. He had disregarded the advice given to sew them back into one shirt before departure, and his temporary lieutenancy was over).

Mitchell 1969; Earhart 1971; Eaker 1973. Cadet Flying Encampment, License, 1970. IACE New Zealand 1971; IACE Korea 1973.

CAP has been bery, bery good to me.

jfkspotting

What is the highest-ranking inflight y'all have seen before?

Eclipse

Quote from: jfkspotting on May 21, 2017, 01:05:09 AM
What is the highest-ranking inflight y'all have seen before?

Chief.  Higher then than that a cadet would have already attended an encampment and it would
be inappropriate for a cadet officer to be a student.

In those cases there are other roles more appropriate.

I've long encouraged cadets to consider attending more then one encampment as a student,
especially different activities, but not as an officer.

"That Others May Zoom"

best_name_ever

I will be a sergeant this year at encampment as well.

vesryn

Going back to the original topic, I'll throw in my 2 pence and change.

Granted I haven't been to NYWG Encampment for a couple years, grade is a non-issue for cadets. When I was a Flight Sergeant (Charlie Colts!) as a Chief, I had an 18 year old Chief that was a few weeks out from Marine Boot. He turned out to be one of the most respectful and amazing cadets in the group, and I'm sure he'd have been just the same had he not been a Chief. His grade was a non-issue, and he wasn't pushy with the other cadets, and certainly didn't pull rank on his fellow cadets. He helped those who were newer to the program, and accepted my guidance in how to correct some bad habits.

I hope to see you at the 2018 NYWG Encampment! It'll be a blast, and don't worry too much about anything. All you can do is your best, so keep doing that. (Though we will push you to go beyond what you think you can do!)
Eaker #3363
NYWG Encampment Cadet Commander 2018
NYWG Encampment '13, '14, '15, '18, '19