Illinois Wing Spring Encampment 2017

Started by Eclipse, April 19, 2017, 06:38:25 PM

Eclipse

((*sigh*))

I'm sewing a uniform, it must be encampment time....

"That Others May Zoom"

Luis R. Ramos

I should have guessed that one of the TV programs you watched was Judge Judy.

(For the record sometimes I watched it myself, as well as similar others)
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

Майор Хаткевич

People's Court was my favorite. Eclipse, you listening to Band of Brothers soundtrack at the same time, or switching off?

Eclipse

Quote from: Luis R. Ramos on April 19, 2017, 07:01:03 PM
I should have guessed that one of the TV programs you watched was Judge Judy.

There are few more pleasant pastimes for me then watching an old lady yell at people who have made bad life choices.

Quote from: Майор Хаткевич on April 19, 2017, 07:41:53 PM
People's Court was my favorite. Eclipse, you listening to Band of Brothers soundtrack at the same time, or switching off?

Saving Maj Winters and his boys for tomorrow when I'm loading up...

"That Others May Zoom"

Eclipse

Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more...

"That Others May Zoom"

Майор Хаткевич

First day post weekend 1 - staying awake is difficult, even after 9 hours of sleep. We talk about this every year, but going from Encampment ops tempo to "regular" just doesn't do the body good.

Alaric

Quote from: Майор Хаткевич on April 24, 2017, 05:05:17 PM
First day post weekend 1 - staying awake is difficult, even after 9 hours of sleep. We talk about this every year, but going from Encampment ops tempo to "regular" just doesn't do the body good.

I ended up sleeping from 6 PM to 7:15 AM when I got home

Spaceman3750

It's been said before that at activities like this (especially week or two week long ones), the highest risk activity is going home.

Eclipse

Completely out of gas walking in the door about 7. Food had been stuffed quickly on way home. Had to help M-i-L with internet being down (presume that is what she wanted, kinda fuzzy). Hit the couch straight out until dawn...

"That Others May Zoom"

Майор Хаткевич

I got 4.5 hours of sleep Saturday​ to Sunday, which was actually an improvement from years past. Typically I crash when I get home almost right away. Made it to about 9 before it really hit.

NIN

Its quiet around here when Eclipse is at encampment...
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

THRAWN

Quote from: Spaceman3750 on April 24, 2017, 05:14:33 PM

It's been said before that at activities like this (especially week or two week long ones), the highest risk activity is going home.

Yep. Yep twice. From personal experience, even when you have in place what you think are adequate controls to make sure that all hands get enough crew rest, you don't.

From the NHTSA: The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration conservatively estimates that 100,000 police-reported crashes are the direct result of driver fatigue each year. This results in an estimated 1,550 deaths, 71,000 injuries, and $12.5 billion in monetary losses. These figures may be the tip of the iceberg, since currently it is difficult to attribute crashes to sleepiness.

http://drowsydriving.org/about/facts-and-stats/
Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

Eclipse

It's no joke - CAP has thousands of seniors and cadets every year who roll home at 5pm on a Saturday or Sunday after
a full week / full day for multi-state drives home.

I frankly don't know how they do it.  I know not everyone is as susceptible to highway hypnosis as I am, but
tired is tired, regardless.

A number of times I've made it as far as the Lake Forest Oasis and had to stop for a nap - one year waking up to find myself with a
dead battery, ripped uniform pants, and a 3/4 drained jump pack that had been used to power a CAP VHF all weekend (thanks ICENINE,
wherever you are).   The Lords of Kobol shined upon me and the truck started after a few weak cranks,
but it was still memorable finding a way to get into the oasis without embarrassing myself or CAP.

It's something that seems to be left on the table in between the lines of "not responsible for transportation to and from activities",
and I can assure you, whether it's an encampment, NCSA, or NESA, every commander, regardless of faith, says a little prayer every year
as the troops roll home.

"That Others May Zoom"

AirAux

I always love the first encampment cadets.  Graduation, climb in the car/van, fall asleep, get home, go to bed and sleep 24 hours...

Ned

Quote from: CAPP 52-4Paragraph 2.10 (d)

Having completed a busy week of activities, participants may be more fatigued than they realize.  Senior staff must ensure that participants are sufficiently well rested for the drive home (particularly if driving solo) before releasing them from encampment.  A suggested best practice is for the safety officer to personally check the sleep plan of each participant-driver the day prior to and the morning of departure.

That does NOT just refer just to cadets, BTW.

Ned Lee
Col, CAP
National Cadet Programs Manager

Eclipse

Dinner - first meal I've had in 3 days that didn't require me standing in line but...

...no Jell-0...

((*sigh*))

"That Others May Zoom"

Eclipse

Encampment C/CC reviews his line staff in anticipation of the announcement of Honor Flight.

Wk 2 - some swimming, some learning, and lots of smiles on the way out.
ICAs showed marked improvement across the board, which makes the effort worthwhile as far as I am concerned.

Two of the line staff are headed for the USAFA this summer.  CAP's loss, the country's significant gain.

I took some long looks around the place (you never know which year will be your last).  I didn't do much this
year but mentor and push things in the right general direction - that's #14 for me.  The FNGs are doing a good job,
so who knows what 2018 will have in store.

More pics and some vids will be available soon pending USN review.

Next stop, MIWG.

"That Others May Zoom"

grunt82abn

Sean Riley, TSGT
US Army 1987 to 1994, WIARNG 1994 to 2008
DoD Firefighter Paramedic 2000 to Present

Alaric

Luis R. Ramos

Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer