HMRS... what to expect?

Started by SawyerChristman, April 18, 2017, 11:40:55 PM

SawyerChristman

So, I'm going to Hawk this summer but I don't know what to expect. What is it like day to day, is there a ton of yelling and drill or is it more laid back and focused on being in the woods?

sarmed1

Its a training environment.  Like any activity, especially those that are given in a quasi-military environment (in particular one that is part of a "cadet" program), it can not be quantified by a single term.  In particular , "laid back" is not a term I would ever associate with a CAP related special activity (this conveys thoughts of not having to wear a uniform, doing whatever you want, relaxing, not having to follow military customs and courtesy etc etc).  In the broader term of CAP activities, there may be times that are "laid back", but I would hope with very, very few exceptions, that is not how an activity should ever be "classified"
I would further clarify that much like any CAP activity, there are varying levels of "intensity" specific to the learning activity involved. (some real, some artificial)

There are plenty of resources on HMRS out there (ranging from fact to opinion to myth) look up some ... I would say expect to show up to a group ranging from the no experience to a lot of experience, no rank to officers and have to be able to find your niche in that group, expect that there will be people with personalities that you just wont get along with.  Expect to be exposed to a lot of information in a short time; SAR, leadership, followership, teamwork and problem solving, but expect to learn.  Expect to encounter people with attitudes (staff, students, visitors...much like the rest of the world) Expect to be tired.  Expect to get wet.  Expect to be hot.  Expect to be cold.  Expect to be disappointed (nothing ever is as good as you make it out to be in your mind) Expect to be surprised (nothing is ever as bad as you were expecting either) Expect that no matter how hard people try, not everything goes according to plan. (yours, mine or anyone else's)

Other than moving as a "unit" at times, formations, and pass in review at the end (like most military-esqe activities/schools); there is no "drill".

MK
Capt.  Mark "K12" Kleibscheidel

TheSkyHornet

Quote from: SawyerChristman on April 18, 2017, 11:40:55 PM
So, I'm going to Hawk this summer but I don't know what to expect. What is it like day to day, is there a ton of yelling and drill or is it more laid back and focused on being in the woods?

So, I have a question:
You signed up for this, and don't know what you signed up for---Is that correct?

Spam

Quote from: TheSkyHornet on April 21, 2017, 06:36:29 PM
Quote from: SawyerChristman on April 18, 2017, 11:40:55 PM

So, I have a question:
You signed up for this, and don't know what you signed up for---Is that correct?

Meh. You've got a point, but the internet is full of anxious queries like this, from nervous virgins asking what basic military training is like, and they've signed on the dotted line for far more than Hawk. This is a normal part of "recruit" response, I should think. Some of Rome's newest foot soldiers probably asked the same questions of the grizzled recruiting centurions.

SawyerC: go get 'em, and have a good time always. Love the suck. Embrace the suck. Request more suck in triplicate. Then when it really sucks in life - LAUGH AT IT, and prevail.

Cheers
Spam

grunt82abn

Good point Spam! We get recruits into the Navy all the time that state they had no clue about anything. I mean you joined the Navy and didn't know you had to swim or that you had a good chance of being on a ship? At least he is reaching out and asking versus showing up thinking it was all camp fires and sing alongs.
Sean Riley, TSGT
US Army 1987 to 1994, WIARNG 1994 to 2008
DoD Firefighter Paramedic 2000 to Present