Every CTWG cadet to receive a CAP Achievement award...

Started by Ozzy, April 15, 2017, 04:22:58 AM

NIN

Speaking as a wing personnel officer: that poor guy has his work cut out for him...

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

MSG Mac

Been There, Done That, well before they put the certificates on line
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

RiverAux

QuoteWhen I compare my ribbons and attachments with others in my field, I scratch my head and wonder what in the blue blazes have I or haven't I done to not have as much "bling" as some of my peers

It has nothing at all to do with you, or the local policies or procedures of your squadron, wing, or region.

It has everything to do with having someone that cares enough about the members to actually write up award recommendations and get them approved.  Your squadron has less bling than the one next door?  Almost certainly it is because they've had someone that has put in for the bling when it was appropriate.

walter1975

RiverAux's point is well made.  Taking care of your troops depends on supervisors and commanders being willing to take the time to repay the effort members have devoted to doing a job to the standard of what the award requires. 

It also depends on an honest system above the unit that does not play politics with awards, favor their friends and penalize those who are not playing politics.  For example, I was recommended by the Wing Commander of a certain wing in 1990 with an endorsement by the Wing Liaison Officer for an award for establishing a completely integrated wartime response capability for CAP to support Air Force and joint command ability to reconstitute resources after a nuclear attack.  The capability was evaluated in an Air Force evaluated exercise and received an Outstanding rating by the region evaluators, and played in a number of Air Force major command exercises.  The recommending Wing Commander died in an accident, my award died with him and the appointment of a new Wing Commander who dismantled the whole system. 

People in our organization do things regularly that merit some level of award from public thanks to a ribbon, certificate, and ceremony.  When we make awards frivolously to those who don't deserve them we destroy confidence in the awards system, in the Commander, and in the organization.  The reverse is equally true - when we do not recognize effort and success, we create the certainty that effort does not matter, we do not make examples for others to follow, and we reward mediocrity and organizational stupor.  People who do good work, no matter their rank or position or whether their shoes are shined, deserve recognition for their good work.
SM Walter G. Green III, CAP
Finance Officer
Group 4, Virginia Wing

kwe1009

Quote from: walter1975 on April 19, 2017, 01:14:07 PM
RiverAux's point is well made.  Taking care of your troops depends on supervisors and commanders being willing to take the time to repay the effort members have devoted to doing a job to the standard of what the award requires. 

It also depends on an honest system above the unit that does not play politics with awards, favor their friends and penalize those who are not playing politics.  For example, I was recommended by the Wing Commander of a certain wing in 1990 with an endorsement by the Wing Liaison Officer for an award for establishing a completely integrated wartime response capability for CAP to support Air Force and joint command ability to reconstitute resources after a nuclear attack.  The capability was evaluated in an Air Force evaluated exercise and received an Outstanding rating by the region evaluators, and played in a number of Air Force major command exercises.  The recommending Wing Commander died in an accident, my award died with him and the appointment of a new Wing Commander who dismantled the whole system. 

People in our organization do things regularly that merit some level of award from public thanks to a ribbon, certificate, and ceremony.  When we make awards frivolously to those who don't deserve them we destroy confidence in the awards system, in the Commander, and in the organization.  The reverse is equally true - when we do not recognize effort and success, we create the certainty that effort does not matter, we do not make examples for others to follow, and we reward mediocrity and organizational stupor.  People who do good work, no matter their rank or position or whether their shoes are shined, deserve recognition for their good work.

This +1000.

Also, people need to be very careful with blanket awards.  In my Wing it has been customary to give all encampment cadet staff members an Achievement Award and Senior Members a Wing Commander's Commendation.  Having attended encampments I can honestly tell you that some of the cadet staff members should have been sent home for not doing anything other than socializing and hiding from work while other put it long hours and worked their tail off.  Giving them both the same award does 2 things.  For the lazy cadet it validates that he/she can get awards without having to do anything.  For the hard working cadet it shows that their work really wasn't appreciated since they got the same recognition as the lazy cadet.  Neither are good things.

Eclipse

"Showing up and doing your job" should not generally be justification for an award, it was your job.
There are exceptions to that based on the nature and duties of a given role, but on the mean that should be the
attitude.

Multiple years, yes, because that generally means that you broke through the "broom leaning" and were invited back
because your experience from previous runs has value, and the argument can be made that for even
people not doing "much", multi-year participation in an activity as staff is still ahead of their peers.

Also, leaders should never submit themselves for an award they are presenting to their subordinates, regardless
of whether they did the same job or not. I've submitted or sent up plenty of 120s for activities and events where I was
just as much, if not more frankly, of a wrench turner as everyone else on the PA, but my name was not included, because
I was the commander, and I'm not commending myself.

"That Others May Zoom"

kwe1009

Quote from: Eclipse on April 19, 2017, 02:50:31 PM
Also, leaders should never submit themselves for an award they are presenting to their subordinates, regardless
of whether they did the same job or not. I've submitted or sent up plenty of 120s for activities and events where I was
just as much, if not more frankly, of a wrench turner as everyone else on the PA, but my name was not included, because
I was the commander, and I'm not commending myself.

I disagree with the statement that leaders should never submit themselves for an award.  I would say that leaders should never submit themselves for awards unless they truly deserve it and are also submitting their subordinates too.  Unfortunately there are not many "leaders" (not just in CAP) who look out for those under them so you have to look out for yourself.

I have had many commanders (military and CAP) who would say that "nobody knows what you did better than you and not many people will submit you for an award unless you start the process."  If you did something worthy of an award submit it and let the awards committee and CC decide if you really deserve it or not.  I run many Wing-level activities but I do not submit myself most of the time.  I document what I did and submit it up the chain.  I do submit deserving staff members and all staff members get at least a certificate of appreciation signed by the Wing CC. 

Nearly every military evaluation and award that I have received were written by me either exclusively or mostly.  This was usually done at the direction of my chain of command, "Hey MSgt, you did a great job with that project.  Write up a Commendation Medal for yourself and have it on my desk by next week."

Eclipse

Quote from: kwe1009 on April 19, 2017, 04:21:12 PM
Nearly every military evaluation and award that I have received were written by me either exclusively or mostly.  This was usually done at the direction of my chain of command, "Hey MSgt, you did a great job with that project.  Write up a Commendation Medal for yourself and have it on my desk by next week."

That's essentially your commander or supervisor submitting the award, but just can't be bothered to type, that may be the
way of the world (I've had to do the same for myself), but it's not the same thing as a CC who submits his subordinates for
a dec and decides "Hmmm, I was there too, gimme, gimme...".

AFAIC, CC's should write for their subordinates, and if their CC's can't be bothered, then that's on them, for all that it entails.
Something I have to write up and submit clearly didn't get the attention it deserved, or wasn't judged as deserved, and it's not worth the
bits and bytes that store it, which also leaves me free to judge the value of my service to the next echelon, and whether
I want to be involved next time.

There is no CC in CAP, from bars to stars, that is so busy they can't click "approved" on a 120, especially if they are both the
submitter and approval authority and therefore don't need to do the "justification dance". Deserving people, especially if they are
in a sea of others doing less and getting more, "get the message", it just may not be the one intended.

Commanders at all levels should take heed of that last sentence - before asking for "more or again'...did I say 'thank you' for 'last?"

"That Others May Zoom"

Chappie

Here is the Awards Policy that the Chief of the CAP Chaplain Corps - Ch, Col Jay Hughes - has published for the Chaplain Corps:

TO:   CAP Chaplain Corps

SUBJECT:  Awards for Chaplain Corps Personnel

DATE:  12 October 2016

Introduction:

The Civil Air Patrol from its inception has been and will continue to be an organization largely comprised of volunteers.  As with any volunteer organization we face the same challenges of addressing the "3 R's": Recruiting, Retention, Recognition. 

Woven within the programs are resources and methods to both recognize and appreciate the service given by the volunteers in CAP.  These are particularly effective for rewarding individuals who are performing well at their duty assignment.  As with many volunteer organizations, much of the work that is done within Civil Air Patrol is done by those serving outside and in addition to their duty assignment.  Many events, like wing encampments and Chaplain Corps Region Staff Colleges, have support from members who are assigned to units within the wing and region rather than the wing or region itself.  The purpose of this document is twofold:  to encourage the recognition and rewarding of members who are enabling programs to exist and flourish in addition to their assigned duty and to address the challenges of Retention and Recognition.

Encouragement tends to foster relationships and produce increasingly higher levels of quality in volunteers.  The regular recognition of service sustains and supports volunteer involvement and longevity of relationships.

The vision of the CAP Chaplain Corps is that we "will become the model of excellence and effectiveness for the rest of Civil Air Patrol" embodying the following motto: "A Paradigm of Excellence."  Recognizing and rewarding those who serve above and beyond their assigned duties is one of the ways that the CAP Chaplain Corps can encourage CAP to be aware and appreciative of the outstanding service being given to America every day in CAP.

1.   Principles:

1.1    Anyone in CAP can submit a fellow member for an award (CAPR 39-3, 10, a.)   The Form 120 is now available on-line.

1.2    Supervisory Chaplains at all levels should look for opportunities to recognize the performance of CAP Chaplain Corps personnel.

1.3    The practice of recognition is an on-going educational process – particularly with Command staff. 

1.4    Depending on the policy (written or unwritten), you may not receive what award is requested.  Some wings/regions are more restrictive of others on bestowing awards.  Be sure to make the justification sound – and don't be disappointed if you ask for a higher award and they approve a lesser (.i.e.  Request a Meritorious Service Award and they approve a Commanders Commendation).

2.    Publications to be familiar with:

2.1  CAPR 39-3 – "Award of CAP Medals, Ribbons, and Certificates" (Section
              B – Decorations, Paragraphs 8, 9, 10, 13; Section G – Special Awards and
              Honors <*The "Of the Year" awards for the Chaplain Corps personnel are
              not mentioned here, however the dates for other "Of the Year" awards are
              consistent and service as a useful guide>; Section H - Certificates).

2.2   CAPP 39-3 – "Awards Made Easy"

2.3   CAPR 265-1 – "The Civil Air Patrol Chaplain Corps" (Section 11) – sets the
               criteria for the "Of the Year" awards for Chaplain Corps personnel. The
               nominees are presented to the Chaplain Corps once NHQ receives them.

2.4   CAPP-3 – "Guide to Civil Air Patrol Protocol" (pages 22-24)

3.    Types of recognition:

3.1   Formal – those offered by the organization:

3.1.1    "Of the Year" awards – Presented by National Headquarters.  Nominees
                         are those who were recognized in their respective categories by the
                         region (Character Development Instructor, Squadron Chaplain, Senior
                         Chaplain).

3.1.2    Decorations and approving authority

3.1.2.1    Distinguished Service Award – National
                 3.1.2.2    Exceptional Service Award – National, Region
                 3.1.2.3    Meritorious Service Award – National, Region

3.1.2.4    Commanders Commendation – National, Region, Wing

3.1.2.5    Achievement Award – National, Region, Wing, Group

3.1.3    Certificates of Appreciation

3.1.3.1    National (CAPC 36)

3.1.3.2    Region and Wing (CAPC 38)

3.1.3.3    Group and Squadron (CAPC 35)

3.1.3.4    Certificate of Partnership – Awarded by NHQ to the CAP Chaplain's
                                 church

3.2   Informal – Ones you create for your respective Chaplain Corps

3.2.1   Plaques – Example: "Ministry of Excellence" award presented to a
                             Character Development Instructor and to a Chaplain who is making a       
                             significant impact on a local unit or in the wing or Region.

3.2.2   Certificate of Appreciation – Example: your own personalized certificate
                              created for presentation to those who assisted in a staff position at a
                              Wing Conference gathering or at a Chaplain Corps Region Staff
                              College or who have served in any capacity above the normal duties
                              of their current assignment for the good of the Wing.

4.     Process for requesting formal awards and decorations:

4.1   Always submit the Form 120 to the appropriate level of approval: group, wing,
                       region

4.2   Submission dates for the "Of the Year" Awards:

4.2.1   By 15 January – Unit commanders submit to the wing commander.

4.2.2   By 15 February – Wing Commanders will screen nominations from unit
                               commanders within their wings and forward the best nominee to the
                               region commander for consideration.

4.2.3   By 15 March – Region Commanders will select the best of the wing
                               nominees and forward one nomination to National Headquarters for
                               consideration.

4.2.4   By 15 April – National Headquarters forwards the Chaplain Corps
                                nominees for the "Of the Year" awards to the Deputy Chief of the
                                Chaplain Corps for Professional Development for consideration.

4.3   To facilitate our Chaplain Corps personnel to receive any of the above
                               "Decorations" or "Of the Year" awards, the Region and Wing
                                Chaplains must take a "proactive" role and work with their
                                respective Commanders in processing Form 120s and meeting the
                              "Of the Year" awards.

4.3.1   Decorations (Form 120) – Decorations are bestowed for service that
                               Is commendable, meritorious or exceptional and does not duplicate                     
                               the recognition of completing of Professional Development
         requirements (i.e. Level 4 requires the member "to serve in a director
         or staff member capacity in a CAP approved course or serve as a
         director or staff member of a national, region, or wing conference as
         a senior member - reference  Attachment 3 – CAPR 50-17".   Once
         this requirement has been fulfilled, serving on the staff for
         subsequent courses or conferences would be considered.)  Simply
         serving in a position is not justification for an award, but based on
         exemplary performance in that position.  When submitting awards,
         the submission should include a description that explains what is
         appropriately commendable, meritorious or exceptional in a person's
         performance.

4.3.1.1  Chief of Chaplain Corps/Chaplain Corps Executive Council

4.3.1.1.1  The Chief of Chaplains of the Chaplain Corps or members of
                               the CCEC may utilize any of the awards and recognitions,
                               appropriate for the recognition of chaplain corps personnel. 

4.3.1.2   Region Chaplains

4.3.1.2.1   Region chaplains should be in contact wing chaplains
                               regarding the awarding of decorations of Chaplain Corps personnel. 
                               This should be considered on-going training.

4.3.1.2.2   Examples of items to be considered for decorations:

4.3.1.2.2.1   Achievement Award –
•   wing, group or squadron Chaplain or CDI who teaches at a Region Staff  College or serves on staff;
•   Chaplain or CDI who serves on a task force/committee formed to advance the Chaplain Corps; 
•   to students, who after fulfilling the Level 4 requirement, have attended 2 CCRSCs within 5 years; 
•   Wing Chaplain or member of the Region Chaplain's Staff who makes an official or formal presentation to an outside group of the CAP (subsequent to fulfilling this requirement for Level 4).

4.3.1.2.2.2    Commander's Commendation –     
•   Project director, Registrar, Transportation Officer for the Region Staff College;
•   those who have assisted the Region HC in planning and implementing a special project;
•   chairperson of a task force or committee formed to advance the Chaplain Corps;
•   Chaplain or CDI who serves on a staff a region or national activity (conferences/NCSA events/NSC);
•   Wing Chaplains who have full manning for their respective wing by Chaplain Corps personnel.

4.3.1.2.2.3   Meritorious Service –
•   HCD and key Members of the Region HC staff who have served for the complete term with the Region HC.

4.3.1.2.2.4   Exceptional Service –
•   A wing chaplain when their tour of duty has been completed.

4.3.2.1.3   Coordination with the activity director would be advisable to
                                              avoid duplicate award submissions. 

4.3.1.3   Wing Chaplains

4.3.1.3.1   Wing chaplains should be in contact squadron commanders
                                      regarding the awarding of decorations of Chaplain Corps
                                      personnel.  Wing chaplains should be looking for opportunities
                                      to recognize the service rendered by their Chaplain Corps
                                      personnel in their respective units.

4.3.1.3.2   Examples of items to be considered for decorations: 

4.3.1.3.2.1   Achievement Award –
•   squadron Chaplain or CDI who regularly teaches Character Development in a squadron to another squadron within the group or wing;
•   serving on the staff of a TLC, CPC, BCS, ATS, NSCOS, COS would be something to consider;
•   Encampment provides a ribbon (or clasp); 
•   squadron Chaplain or CDI who teaches at a wing training activity (SLS/CLC/UCC);
•   squadron Chaplain or CDI who makes an official or formal presentation to an outside group of the CAP (subsequent to fulfilling this requirement for Level 4).

4.3.1.3.2.2   Commander's Commendation –
•   squadron Chaplain or CDI who serves on staff of wing/region/national event conferences/NCSA/NSC);
•   Lead chaplain at Encampment.
•   Though participating in "Wreaths Across America" is a CAP
                                        sponsored activity, coordinating the local event would be
                                        something to consider.

4.3.3.2.2.3   Meritorious Service –
•   HCD and key Members of the Wing HC staff who have served for the complete term with the Wing HC.

4.3.1.3.3   Coordination with the activity director would be advisable to
                                    avoid duplicate award submissions. 

4.3.2   "Of the Year" Awards

4.3.2.1   Region Chaplains

4.3.2.1.1   Region chaplains should be in contact with wing chaplains
                                           regarding the awarding of these awards of Chaplain Corps
                                           personnel to meet the deadlines cited in 4.2.

4.3.2.1.2   Region chaplains should be in contact with region staff to
                                           assure that their nominees have been submitted to NHQ for
                                           consideration.

4.3.2.2   Wing Chaplains

4.3.2.2.1   Wing chaplains should be in contact with squadron
                                           commanders to assure that nominees from the Chaplain
                                           Corps personnel are submitted to the wing commander to
                                           meet the deadline in 4.2.

4.3.2.2.2   Wing chaplains should be in contact with the region chaplain
                                           to assure that nominees from the wing have been submitted
                                           to region for consideration.

5.    Presentation of awards

5.1   Per the CAPR 39-3,   "Decorations should be presented by the senior officer
                present on such occasions as region and wing conferences, unit assemblies,
                etc.  Where a citation accompanies an award, the citation should be read
                immediately preceding the presentation of the medal or ribbon and the award
                certificate."

5.2   Many award presentations will take place in the above mentioned venues,
                however there are occasions when an award is sent directly to the wing or                       
                region chaplain.   If it is impossible for the presentation to take place
                personally, the award can be sent to the local unit for squadron or group
                commander to make the presentation.  Other possibilities would be to make
                the presentation the Chaplain Corps session conducted in conjunction with a     
                wing conference or during the CCRSC.     

5.3   The graduation ceremony conducted at a CCRSC is a good venue to practice
                and perfect the skills of making award presentations. 

Good communications between all echelons of CAP will foster an awareness of the sacrifices and contributions being made by CAP Chaplain Corps personnel.  Often recognition goes ungiven, because those who are in a place to offer recognition simply are unaware of the effort and dedication being given, and therefore miss the opportunity to "honor those to whom honor is due."  Developing a climate where all levels of the CAP program are consciously looking for opportunities to acknowledge and encourage Chaplain Corps personnel will benefit everyone and foster ongoing service and retention. 
Disclaimer:  Not to be confused with the other user that goes by "Chappy"   :)