Authorized ribbon?????

Started by Arc light, April 11, 2017, 08:30:37 PM

Arc light

Hello, very soon I will be awarded an congressional medal from my local congressman but the actual award entails a ribbon if you google Awards and decorations of the United States government, on Wikipedia and scroll down to the category of United States congress, it is the red white and blue ribbon. I know in 39-3 it says we can wear ribbons from the branches but what about government awards, i.e. Department of the army ribbons. I tried looking for a clear answer but couldn't find one. My main question is would I be able to wear it? Thank you

cnitas

While noteworthy for a resume or college admissions, it is not authorized on the Air Force uniform.

It is an interesting program, and CAP is listed as a recommended activity for the award.  I might mention it to my cadets tonight at our meeting.
Mark A. Piersall, Lt Col, CAP
Frederick Composite Squadron
MER-MD-003

Eclipse

Is this another PVSA type deal?

"That Others May Zoom"

Arc light

No sir/Ma'am? (Sorry, I'm unsure of the proper way to Andrews you so I will be safe) it is a congressional award which is under the United States government award. But speaking of PVSA are they authorized? Thank you

Eclipse

Quote from: Arc light on April 11, 2017, 08:59:39 PM
No sir/Ma'am? (Sorry, I'm unsure of the proper way to Andrews you so I will be safe) it is a congressional award which is under the United States government award. But speaking of PVSA are they authorized? Thank you

No. (PVSA)

Do you have a link to the award and criteria?

"That Others May Zoom"

Arc light

http://congressionalaward.org You have to purchase the ribbon on your own though, that is what I was told, because not everyone who earns the award are CAP, Jrotc, etc

Eclipse

Well, Good On 'Ye for the effort in earning this, however it is not approved for wear on CAP uniforms.

"That Others May Zoom"

Arc light

Thank you for the clarification.

spaatzmom

When my son received his gold award a few years ago, we did not have to pay for anything.  He received his 3 levels of medals in the mail and had them presented at the wing conference as our Congressman was unavailable.

Brad

From what I can gather, the award is a valid US government award that could be worn on the Air Force-style uniform, but there's a catch.

1.) CAPM 39-1 11.2.1.1:
11.2.1.1. US Awards. Federal awards awarded by competent authority may be worn on USAF-style uniforms in accordance with instructions contained in AFI 36-2903. National Guard awards will not be worn.

So far so good, since it is a "federal award awarded by competent authority." So let's go to AFI 36-2903...

2. AFI 36-2903 11.5.44:
11.5.44. United States Nonmilitary Decorations. (listed below are a follow [sic] examples of awards by federal agencies). If Air Force members wear more than one, arrange in order of acceptance. If member wears two or more from the same agency, that specific agency decides the precedence.

It goes on to list examples such as the Presidential Medal of Freedom, NASA Distinguished Service Medal, etc. Personal opinion, but I'm thinking "follow" meant to be "few", which tells me that the list is not all-inclusive.

Unfortunately though, as we continue on we finally come to the kicker:

3. AFI 36-2903 11.5.44.7:
11.5.44.7. Do not wear these decorations unless Airmen wear US military decorations and service medals.

So unless you have US military awards as well, you can't wear the Congressional Award on the CAP Air Force style uniform, sorry.
Brad Lee
Maj, CAP
Assistant Deputy Chief of Staff, Communications
Mid-Atlantic Region
K4RMN

Arc light

Unfornantly I am still cadet an have no military awards. But thank you for the clarification that really helps out a lot.

spaatzmom

Unless the award has changed in the last few years, which I doubt it is not a ribbon but a medal that hangs around the neck.  There is no approval to wear that with the USAF style uniform, either cadet or sm.

Storm Chaser

First, congratulations for earning this award. While a worthy award for youth registered in this program, I doubt this award is authorized in the Air Force uniform.

The list of non-military awards allowed include the Presidential Medal of Freedom, National Security Medal, Gold and Silver Lifesaving Medals, NASA Distinguished Service Medal, etc., all decorations earned for meritorious or distinguished service and not by enrolling in a program and completing certain tasks. I'm not trying to minimize the value of the Congressional Award, but it's just not at the same level of these other decorations.

Nevertheless, non-military decorations can only be worn if "awarded by federal agencies and earned while in military service" in accordance with AFI 36-2903, Paragraph 11.5.44.9, so you wouldn't be able to wear it anyways.

Arc light

The award is a medal that goes around your neck, the ribbon itself is red white and blue divided into 1/3 of each color. The ribbon is what I had to buy individually. But again thank you all for the clarification.

Ozzy

Well... there is actually a scenario that you could wear it. Did we get the final word on whether or not CAP members can wear the AF Organizational Excellence Award? If we are allowed to wear it, then you would be wearing 'US military decorations and service medals' and thus able to wear it.
Ozyilmaz, MSgt, CAP
C/Lt. Colonel (Ret.)
NYWG Encampment 07, 08, 09, 10, 17
CTWG Encampment 09, 11, 16
NER Cadet Leadership School 10
GAWG Encampment 18, 19
FLWG Winter Encampment 19

Brad

Quote from: Ozzy on April 12, 2017, 03:20:12 AM
Well... there is actually a scenario that you could wear it. Did we get the final word on whether or not CAP members can wear the AF Organizational Excellence Award? If we are allowed to wear it, then you would be wearing 'US military decorations and service medals' and thus able to wear it.

My logic as well, but ref what Storm Chaser posted it still wouldn't fly:

Quote from: AFI 36-2903 11.5.3.44.9
11.5.44.9. Wear only those decoration and ribbons awarded by federal agencies and earned while in military service.
Brad Lee
Maj, CAP
Assistant Deputy Chief of Staff, Communications
Mid-Atlantic Region
K4RMN

Arc light

What is the AF Organizational Excellence Award? And can we wear it?

Mitchell 1969

Quote from: Storm Chaser on April 12, 2017, 02:42:15 AM
First, congratulations for earning this award. While a worthy award for youth registered in this program, I doubt this award is authorized in the Air Force uniform.

The list of non-military awards allowed include the Presidential Medal of Freedom, National Security Medal, Gold and Silver Lifesaving Medals, NASA Distinguished Service Medal, etc., all decorations earned for meritorious or distinguished service and not by enrolling in a program and completing certain tasks. I'm not trying to minimize the value of the Congressional Award, but it's just not at the same level of these other decorations.

Nevertheless, non-military decorations can only be worn if "awarded by federal agencies and earned while in military service" in accordance with AFI 36-2903, Paragraph 11.5.44.9, so you wouldn't be able to wear it anyways.

I'm waiting to see a CAP member with the Presidential Medal of Freedom ( a civilian award) being told that s/he can't wear it because it wasn't earned while in military service.

Mitchell 1969; Earhart 1971; Eaker 1973. Cadet Flying Encampment, License, 1970. IACE New Zealand 1971; IACE Korea 1973.

CAP has been bery, bery good to me.