Main Menu

Squadron patch

Started by Arc light, April 11, 2017, 08:12:40 PM

Arc light

Does anyone know why we can't wear our squadron patch with our abu's? I just learned of this and am actually dissapointed we can't wear it. Im still sad about losing our American flag. Does anyone else feel this way?

Thank you

Eclipse

Quote from: Arc light on April 11, 2017, 08:12:40 PM
Does anyone know why we can't wear our squadron patch with our abu's? I just learned of this and am actually dissapointed we can't wear it.

You can:
https://www.capmembers.com/media/cms/UPDATED_ABU_wear_instruction_20_Jul_F9C2512038FC2.pdf
"Right Breast Pocket. One full color patch authorized in Attachment 8-1 through 8-3, with the
exception of the Emergency Services patches and Ranger tabs, the Model Rocketry Patch, or Unit/Organizational
Patch may be sewn to the shirt centered on the lower portion of the right breast pocket
between left and right edges
and bottom of flap and pocket of ABU shirt. The National Staff Badge shown in attachment A6-1 is also authorized
to be worn in this position. "

Quote from: Arc light on April 11, 2017, 08:12:40 PM
Im still sad about losing our American flag. Does anyone else feel this way?

CAP didn't "lose" the flag, the uniform was re-aligned back to the way the USAF wears it in CONUS.
Without getting into it, the reasoning for the flag was suspect at best, and not universally loved
as implemented. 

It is still on the flightsuit.

"That Others May Zoom"

Arc light

That's what I thought by my commander said that we weren't allowed to wear the squadron patch on our abu's, I was rather stunned when he said that but did not question it, I will have to bring it up at the next meeting.

Eclipse

The original release of the uniform has nothing but tapes and badges.  They have relaxed this
in subsequent ICLs.  Unit patches were restored in May 2016 via the ICL quoted and linked above.

"That Others May Zoom"

almostspaatz

Quote from: Arc light on April 11, 2017, 08:23:06 PM
That's what I thought by my commander said that we weren't allowed to wear the squadron patch on our abu's, I was rather stunned when he said that but did not question it, I will have to bring it up at the next meeting.

A Unit CC could set a policy that you cannot, regardless of whether or not it is allowed by 39-1. Your unit may have set a policy to not wear the unit patch on ABUs for one reason or another.

As Eclipse pointed it out, you are "allowed" by CAPM 39-1.
C/Maj Steve Garrett

Eclipse

Quote from: almostspaatz on April 12, 2017, 02:22:34 AM
A Unit CC could set a policy that you cannot, regardless of whether or not it is allowed by 39-1. Your unit may have set a policy to not wear the unit patch on ABUs for one reason or another.

That is well beyond the authority of a Unit CC.

Assuming the insignia is / was properly approved as the insignia of
record for that squadron, it would require a Supplement to 39-1 to bar its wear, something which requires NHQ approval,
and which no Wing CC who want to pass a CI is going to take lightly or probably even allow. (Unit-level supps are rarely worth
the time and effort to maintain them properly).

A unit CC could request that the insignia be disapproved as the insignia of record, I imagine most Wing CC's would
entertain the idea, however "I don't like a lot of patches on the uniform..." probably wouldn't fly as a justification, especially since
there are other patches which a member could wear without any need for local approval, and even further if corporate funds were spent
on the patches.

"That Others May Zoom"

Spam

Hey, Arc Light.

"may"

"shall"
"will"
"must
"

A unit commander, in my view, certainly therefore does have the authority to set policy for local wear of authorized optional items. Many local Squadrons (such as mine, of which I'm passing command over early, tomorrow night) link the wear of the unit patch to some milestone, such as earning the first promotion, or so forth. That's certainly not a Wing supplement level issue, when the patch itself is a locally authorized optional item.

Having said that, it seems dumber'n dirt to have a unit patch and not let anyone wear it, even if they don't have to earn the right. Were I you, I might respectfully (focus on that) share the full text of the updated ICL up your chain of command, with an "R/S (Respectfully Submit)" tacked on after a polite request for favorable consideration.

V/r
Spam

PHall

Some Commanders (Squadron, Group, Wing) have decided follow the same rules the Air Force does and not wear unit patches.
The only required items are Grade Insignia, Name Tape, Branch Tape, CAP Wings and Chaplain Insignia.
Everything else is optional...

Arc light

My commander said we were not allowed to wear our squadron patch, we have no unit patch, what is the difference and I thought we could still wear the squadron one regardless.

kwe1009

Quote from: Arc light on April 14, 2017, 06:07:32 PM
My commander said we were not allowed to wear our squadron patch, we have no unit patch, what is the difference and I thought we could still wear the squadron one regardless.

squadron and unit are the same thing.  If you CC says that you can't wear it then that is it.

TheSkyHornet

Quote from: almostspaatz on April 12, 2017, 02:22:34 AM
Quote from: Arc light on April 11, 2017, 08:23:06 PM

As Eclipse pointed it out, you are "allowed" by CAPM 39-1.

The Ohio Wing Commander issued a memo in August 2016 stating Ohio Wing patches are not to be worn on ABUs. A lot of Commanders took that as "including unit patches."

At our unit, we do not wear squadron patches on our ABUs; I'm personally in favor of that for the sake of professional, adhering to the Air Force-style of wearing the uniform, and maintaining standardization at joint events. We do, however, permit squadron patches on BDUs but do not mandate it.