What to do with extra senior insignia?

Started by zippity, April 06, 2017, 12:56:02 PM

zippity

I just got promoted to 2Lt yesterday (they like me! they really like me!) and now I have a pair of blank CAP epaulets that have never been worn. What do folks usually do with outgrown insignia stuff? Sell it to Japan on eBay? Donate it to the squadron uniform stash? Get creative and up-convert it to a 2Lt? (Note: very unlikely to happen as I'm not good at embroidery.) Thanks for helping with a noob question.

chuckmilam

eBay!  I've got a bid in on some epaulets right now.  Here's hoping for no snipers. 

kwe1009

Eclipse

Quote from: kwe1009 on April 06, 2017, 01:56:53 PM
I just give it to the squadron.

+1

We have a "put one / take one" box.  We stopped buying insignia for stock, but still let members have what is
on hand and like to see things going back in when possible, especially with cadet grade pins.

"That Others May Zoom"

NIN

Quote from: zippity on April 06, 2017, 12:56:02 PM
I just got promoted to 2Lt yesterday (they like me! they really like me!) and now I have a pair of blank CAP epaulets that have never been worn. What do folks usually do with outgrown insignia stuff? Sell it to Japan on eBay? Donate it to the squadron uniform stash? Get creative and up-convert it to a 2Lt? (Note: very unlikely to happen as I'm not good at embroidery.) Thanks for helping with a noob question.

As far as senior insignia goes, I always encourage my officers to either donate spare insignia back to the unit, or "pass it down" as able.

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

CAPDCCMOM

my SQuadron has a box for Seniors and one for Cadets, as you change, you put it in the box. The only exception was my son held his for when his younger brother promoted, so that he could give him "his" stripes

Chappie

I usually have purchased 4-5 sets  (have 1 long sleeve decked out; 2 short sleeves decked out; 1 aviator decked out; and service jacket -- it is a lot easier on events lasting more than one day than to remove and placed).   When I have promoted, I will pass them along to someone that I have mentored when they promote.   Have done the same/similar thing when I changed assignments as Wing and Region Chaplain.  I wear a cross on my service jacket that was given to me by my mentor (who passed away in 2003)....I will pass along a cross that I have worn on one of my shirts to my successor - kinda like passing the torch/change of responsibilities.
Disclaimer:  Not to be confused with the other user that goes by "Chappy"   :)

Shawn W.

As a squadron logistics guy, I truely appreciate when Seniors or Cadets turn in or donate things that they have outgrown or have extra of that they can spare. I've been working on sort of a "give a penny take a penny" concept with Sm epaulettes starting with the blank ones. The idea is that when you come into CAP and you pay your dues and get your member ship  card, our squadron is willing to help you get a jump start on some items. That said, we hand them a pair of loaner epaulettes that later can be traded up at the next promotion. So far this concept has been well recieved by our Senior Membership at my squadron.

flying174

I donate all my uniform items that I no longer need to the Squadron

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

kwe1009

Quote from: Shawn W. on April 07, 2017, 02:27:04 AM
As a squadron logistics guy, I truely appreciate when Seniors or Cadets turn in or donate things that they have outgrown or have extra of that they can spare. I've been working on sort of a "give a penny take a penny" concept with Sm epaulettes starting with the blank ones. The idea is that when you come into CAP and you pay your dues and get your member ship  card, our squadron is willing to help you get a jump start on some items. That said, we hand them a pair of loaner epaulettes that later can be traded up at the next promotion. So far this concept has been well recieved by our Senior Membership at my squadron.

My squadron does something similar.  For each new member (cadet or SM) we charge a one-time dues of around $40.  In exchange they get a squadron hat, t-shirt, and all ranks, ribbons, badges, and ribbon racks as they earn them.  The rank gets recycled as the member promotes.  It works out pretty well when you take into account the people who never promote and those that leave after a year.  We aren't making money on this but we aren't losing money either and our members get the rank and awards when they earn them.

We also do bulk orders with Vanguard for Senior Members who need/want extra rank/badges/ribbons so they don't have to spend $5 to ship 2 ribbons for instance.  This keeps the members happy as well.  For cadets, we just provide it.