Writing a small book about my experiences in CAP

Started by Toth, April 03, 2017, 06:46:52 PM

Toth

Hello all,

I just wanted to get some opinions about the fact that I'm writing a small book about my experiences in CAP. Mostly what I wanted to ask is if you guys thought I would be violating any regs by writing about my experiences in CAP as long as I avoid anything I shouldn't be talking about for OPSEC. I wanted to write about my time as a cadet because I have mostly moved on in my college and fire service career, but I wanted to leave something about the lessons I've learned and the things I've experienced. Some of you will probably think that writing a book about my experiences is stupid, and that's fine, but I wanted to get your opinions.

Thanks!
SM Toth Mendius, CAP
C/CC RMR-MT-053 (ret.), RMR Ass't Rep NCAC (ret.)
Mitchell #65174, Earhart #17361
GES, ♦ICUT, ♦FLM, GTM3, UDF, SET, MS, MRO, EMT, *GTM2

Live2Learn

???  If you want CAP policy, why don't you call HQ and speak with the information office or someone in legal? ???

Toth

Quote from: Live2Learn on April 03, 2017, 08:02:14 PM
???  If you want CAP policy, why don't you call HQ and speak with the information office or someone in legal? ???

Because I wanted to get some opinions from experienced members of CAP on the idea itself and the reg issue before I go through the hubub of calling national
SM Toth Mendius, CAP
C/CC RMR-MT-053 (ret.), RMR Ass't Rep NCAC (ret.)
Mitchell #65174, Earhart #17361
GES, ♦ICUT, ♦FLM, GTM3, UDF, SET, MS, MRO, EMT, *GTM2

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: Toth on April 03, 2017, 08:09:24 PM
Quote from: Live2Learn on April 03, 2017, 08:02:14 PM

Because I wanted to get some opinions from experienced members of CAP on the idea itself and the reg issue before I go through the hubub of calling national

Every person with an axe to grind, or a fanbog had a blog. No reason you can be stopped or in trouble for factual personal experiences.

Eclipse

Nothing wrong with memorializing your experiences.

Worry about what can be released after something is written - you can always have your commander review it.

Other then "telling tales out of school", as a cadet, it's not likely you were exposed to anything of a confidential nature,
and your experience might help others.

If a story is important enough, but might embarrass real people, make up new names and places.

"That Others May Zoom"

TheSkyHornet

Just make sure you leave that part out about taking sniper fire as the CAP plane landed in hostile territory

Holding Pattern

I somehow doubt that you will run into any issues. Consider this book and what the man is writing about for his experiences.

https://www.amazon.com/You-Want-Me-Do-What-ebook/dp/B004FN2DKI

Майор Хаткевич

Poor example...He had to get that cleared....A lot.

THRAWN

Quote from: Майор Хаткевич on April 04, 2017, 08:24:06 PM
Poor example...He had to get that cleared....A lot.

Wait,you mean CAP search and rescue isn't a SOF asset? We're part of the total force, aren't we?!!!? I demand equal status!

Seriously though, this has been done a few times and the results are usually pretty good. On some shelf, I have some things written by a former NJ Wing historian that would be akin to the OP's idea. Go for it. Worst that can happen is that nobody reads it....
Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

CAPDCCMOM

^^^You mean like the CAP New Parent Guide^^^^^

Stonewall

WIWAC a family of CAP members visited my Squadron (late 80's) to promote and sell their book called Satellite Cadet Squadron.. It was a book about their personal experiences in CAP.  I haven't read it in almost 30 years, but I still have my signed copy.

May be worth searching and looking at as a reference.
Serving since 1987.