Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2017, 03:19:17 AM
Home Help Login Register
News:

CAP Talk  |  General Discussion  |  Membership  |  Topic: Senior Promotion Barriers
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] Print
Author Topic: Senior Promotion Barriers  (Read 6230 times)
Eclipse
Too Much Free Time Award

« Reply #100 on: April 18, 2017, 06:22:12 PM »

The Navy spent 4 weeks training me to be an instructor. It was the hardest course I took while in the Navy. We had a couple of quizzes a week, and about 40% of our course work was practical - standing in front of "students" and presenting courseware. Another 15% or so was building courseware (group-paced classroom type). We spent almost as much time after hours doing homework as we spent in the classroom.

The thing CAP offers (I decline to call it a course) is a farce, and at best gives someone a false sense of security on their ability to teach a CAP course. It gets no positive recommendation from me.

Agreed - I had to do a similar-length of college-credit course to be a Motorcycle Safety Instructor, plus mandated refreshers and multiple 20-hour updates.

Teaching adults continuing education is not an inherent skill, with a big part of it grasping the material yourself, before you start trying to
teach someone else, not to mention that just because "you can do a thing, doesn't mean you can teach a thing".

"Effort" does not equal "results".
The contents of this post are Copyright 2017 by eclipse. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

walter1975
Recruit

Unit: MER-VA-084

« Reply #101 on: April 19, 2017, 09:23:18 AM »

I would add that it requires continuous study on the instructor's part, continuous practice in the classroom to hone the craft, and an appetite for learning from your students.  You have to work at being current in the material and you have to work at being better in every delivery.     
SM Walter G. Green III, CAP
Finance Officer
Group 4, Virginia Wing
SarDragon
Global Moderator

Unit: NAVAIRPAC

« Reply #102 on: April 19, 2017, 08:01:06 PM »

I would add that it requires continuous study on the instructor's part, continuous practice in the classroom to hone the craft, and an appetite for learning from your students.  You have to work at being current in the material and you have to work at being better in every delivery.     

Amen!
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret
Flymetothemoon
Recruit

« Reply #103 on: April 21, 2017, 03:49:23 AM »

These courses are a significantly different from the CAP PD courses.  The AF courses are close to a graduate degree in amount of time and work invested.  The CAP PD is little more than show up, smooze, go home.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] Print 
CAP Talk  |  General Discussion  |  Membership  |  Topic: Senior Promotion Barriers