Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 24, 2017, 01:46:45 PM
Home Help Login Register
News:

CAP Talk  |  Cadet Programs  |  Encampments & NCSAs  |  Topic: New NCSAs or Old
Pages: 1 [2]  All Print
Author Topic: New NCSAs or Old  (Read 1971 times)
Eclipse
Too Much Free Time Award

« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2017, 02:49:31 PM »

I have been thinking that a "Life Skills Academy" is sorely needed for CAP cadets.  The BSA provides well-rounded
(i.e. all over the map) instruction and orientation in all sorts of life-relevent skills, but with CAP, if it's not in or around
a plane, paramilitary life, or involve sleeping on the ground, it doesn't happen.

Things like woodworking, welding, sewing, auto-repair - just steal from the merit badge list and find the fun / relevent ones.
One day per "basic skill" could be a good orientation.

When I've brought it up in the past, the idea was well-received, but the logistics of week-long activities, especially
something like this, are daunting.

"Effort" does not equal "results".
The contents of this post are Copyright 2017 by eclipse. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

THRAWN
Salty & Seasoned Contributor

« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2017, 03:20:36 PM »

I have been thinking that a "Life Skills Academy" is sorely needed for CAP cadets.  The BSA provides well-rounded
(i.e. all over the map) instruction and orientation in all sorts of life-relevent skills, but with CAP, if it's not in or around
a plane, paramilitary life, or involve sleeping on the ground, it doesn't happen.

Things like woodworking, welding, sewing, auto-repair - just steal from the merit badge list and find the fun / relevent ones.

When I've brought it up in the past, the idea was well-received, but the logistics of week-long activities, especially

Change the car's oil and tires, cook a balanced dinner, hem some pants and put on a zipper, household budgeting, minor home repair....sounds like middle school 30 years ago....but it is a good idea. My wife is a high school teacher and one of her biggest complaints is that by the time her students are graduation, they have no idea how to do anything but take tests.....This would be a good local experiment, workout the kinks and then (shudder) "get er done"...
Strup
"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
Майор Хаткевич
200,000th Post Author

Unit: GLR-IL-049

« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2017, 04:23:08 PM »

Change the car's oil and tires, cook a balanced dinner, hem some pants and put on a zipper, household budgeting, minor home repair....sounds like middle school 30 years ago....but it is a good idea. My wife is a high school teacher and one of her biggest complaints is that by the time her students are graduation, they have no idea how to do anything but take tests.....This would be a good local experiment, workout the kinks and then (shudder) "get er done"...

Personal Finance/Planning Retirement was the best course I took in college...It was an elective...I was in a Finance track...
GaryVC

Unit: PCR-NV-070

« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2017, 01:44:02 PM »

There has been a noticeable decline in the number of military bands across the nation in recent years. Something like this might help to slow that down a bit.

As far as I know, this is all about the $$$.
THRAWN

« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2017, 01:55:14 PM »

There has been a noticeable decline in the number of military bands across the nation in recent years. Something like this might help to slow that down a bit.

As far as I know, this is all about the $$$.

It's a part of it. Since many schools have gutted their music programs, they have a lack of qualified applicants to take the place of people leaving the service. No applicants, bands shrink, Congress red lines the funding, and the beat goes on....
Strup
"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
Pages: 1 [2]  All Print 
CAP Talk  |  Cadet Programs  |  Encampments & NCSAs  |  Topic: New NCSAs or Old