Main Menu

New NCSAs or Old

Started by Cebman21, March 26, 2017, 04:11:53 PM

Cebman21

Does anyone have ideas about any new NCSAs or restarting old ones.
Mitchell award 66931

Nor'easter

I would love to see the return of AF Security Forces Familiarization course. If the AF could muster the support, perhaps elsewhere than Nellis, I think it would be a great addition to our NCSAs and cadet interest again.
With malice toward none, with charity for all, with firmness in the right...

Jester

I'd like to see the 820th Base Defense Group host one at Moody. There's enough there to fill a week of good training.

oweng_01

Quote from: Nor'easter on March 26, 2017, 05:57:33 PM
I would love to see the return of AF Security Forces Familiarization course. If the AF could muster the support, perhaps elsewhere than Nellis, I think it would be a great addition to our NCSAs and cadet interest again.

This would be great! Also bringing back the Combat Controller Orientation Course.

abdsp51

Quote from: Jester on March 26, 2017, 06:51:10 PM
I'd like to see the 820th Base Defense Group host one at Moody. There's enough there to fill a week of good training.

Nellis or Ft Hood where the SF Training center is located would be better.  Would give a much better idea on what Defenders do than the 820th.

TheSkyHornet

This is something that I've heard people bring up here as well.

Army ROTC provides a summer training opportunity for internships as well, where ROTC cadets can shadow officers at active duty units, such as with the medical corps. I'd like to see something along this line for cadets, where they could perhaps shadow different officers or senior enlisted of various military branches for, say, a week. Imagine the exposure to actual operations if a cadet was to spend a week in San Antonio shadowing the nursing school, or spent time with a missile defense office. I can think of numerous security concerns with this, as well as possible CPP issues for cadets under 18 that would need to be scrutinized, but it's just an idea.

Jester

Quote from: abdsp51 on March 26, 2017, 07:38:56 PM
Quote from: Jester on March 26, 2017, 06:51:10 PM

Nellis or Ft Hood where the SF Training center is located would be better.  Would give a much better idea on what Defenders do than the 820th.

There's always the Moody base cops they can go spend a day with to practice setting up traffic traps on 820th deployment homecoming days.

I'd rather see a base defense orientation course, but that would be better served with an ABD-only career field which is outside the scope of this discussion as much as I love to engage in it, and will never happen anyway.

Cebman21

there was a SF course?
Mitchell award 66931

Nor'easter

Quote from: Cebman21 on March 27, 2017, 03:16:53 AM
there was a SF course?

Yes, held as a winter activity at Nellis AFB. I'm not sure how long it ran... 3 years I believe, maybe 4. Here's a recruiting poster from the last year it was held.

*Actually, it appears that it never received full NCSA accreditation. It was just a Nevada-wing run activity, open nationally for application through eServices.
With malice toward none, with charity for all, with firmness in the right...

sarmed1

Survival School (either the original type run at the AFA or CSS that some of the CadetStuff folks use to run)

I like the USAF career field orientation courses
CCT
SF
would like to see a medical one.....
when I lived in San Antonio some friends and I chatted about doing an Aeromedical Evacuation Orientation Course
basic aeromed, flight physiology, altitude chamber, water survival, and some simulated missions on at least a C130 (we had a static for training)

MK

Capt.  Mark "K12" Kleibscheidel

Offutteer

I'd like to see the old FAA Fam Course reinstated.

I'd also like to see a medical Fam Course started.

sarmed1

The difficulty with medical fam course we have found when talking about it is that a lot of the "fun" of an activity is lost if they doent have a medical background coming into it, but to do anything worthwhile to create a medical "background" will be around 4-5 days of drink from the firehose.  So which end of the spectrum do you concentrate the activity on?

mk
Capt.  Mark "K12" Kleibscheidel

Spam

Quote from: sarmed1 on March 27, 2017, 03:08:18 PM
The difficulty with medical fam course we have found when talking about it is that a lot of the "fun" of an activity is lost if they doent have a medical background coming into it, but to do anything worthwhile to create a medical "background" will be around 4-5 days of drink from the firehose.  So which end of the spectrum do you concentrate the activity on?

mk

Well, I've loaded blue-nose AIM-9s with cadets without having to teach them advanced math to cover missile transfer alignments or weapons school level fuzing... the scope is a FAM only, so familiarization with what a given community does is the goal.

I would totally get behind an aero med fam course, since I work with that community in my design work and see its value. On a FAM level, there's a lot that can be done, as you've clearly laid out some great activities; I remember taking a group of a dozen 16+ year old cadets through an alt chamber in FLWG (needed an FAA student medical to ride) and they had a blast. Literally. We warned them what not to eat the night before or for breakfast *and they ignored this; it was educational and fun to watch the girls and boys reactions at low pressure. All the boys belched and "vented" liberally, laughing behind their masks, while the girls struggled with the discomfort until one on the end lifted a cheek and vented (which promptly triggered a serial ripple fart amongst the other young ladies and an identical row of red upper faces behind their masks)!  Good fun - very educational - actually quite "team building".

V/r
Spam

randomcadet1941

I believe that Sheppard AFB would make for an amazing campus for CAP. Whether it's NCSAs, encampments , ALS, or anything else. They could host a FAM for ENJJPT (NATO pilot training), mechanical courses, and a number of other NCSAs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PHall

Quote from: randomcadet1941 on March 28, 2017, 05:51:01 PM
I believe that Sheppard AFB would make for an amazing campus for CAP. Whether it's NCSAs, encampments , ALS, or anything else. They could host a FAM for ENJJPT (NATO pilot training), mechanical courses, and a number of other NCSAs.

Sheppard is a Tech School Base and a Pilot Training Base, finding enough billeting rooms for something as large as a NCSA could be a real problem.
Plus the Billeting costs and the cost to feed everyone would probably bankrupt us.

randomcadet1941

Quote from: PHall on March 28, 2017, 11:53:27 PM

Sheppard is a Tech School Base and a Pilot Training Base, finding enough billeting rooms for something as large as a NCSA could be a real problem.
Plus the Billeting costs and the cost to feed everyone would probably bankrupt us.

Just on Sheppard today, food wasn't too bad on pricing Was about $60 for 30 people, or about $2 per person, including dessert and going back for second rounds of meals. Additionally, local food is good and cost effective.

Billeting is an issue in and of itself regardless of location. However I do believe that there is some available on base, considering there are a number of dormitories on base. The main option for something like an NCSA, if there wasn't enough dorms available, is the Sheppard Inn. It's an option that SUPTFC at Laughlin uses, so it could be feasible for Sheppard.

Additionally, I've heard they have been particularly friendly to CAP in the past. New wing king arrived last week, so not much info there, but the past couple kings have supposedly been working to improve relations.

Edit: I think it should be noted there are 20,000 permanent party throughout the year, and over 60,000 are trained every year at SAFB. Just based off of that, although I have no prior logistics knowledge, I'd think there'd be some form of billeting available.

PHall

Quote from: randomcadet1941 on March 29, 2017, 12:01:26 AM
Quote from: PHall on March 28, 2017, 11:53:27 PM

Just on Sheppard today, food wasn't too bad on pricing Was about $60 for 30 people, or about $2 per person, including dessert and going back for second rounds of meals. Additionally, local food is good and cost effective.

Billeting is an issue in and of itself regardless of location. However I do believe that there is some available on base, considering there are a number of dormitories on base. The main option for something like an NCSA, if there wasn't enough dorms available, is the Sheppard Inn. It's an option that SUPTFC at Laughlin uses, so it could be feasible for Sheppard.

Additionally, I've heard they have been particularly friendly to CAP in the past. New wing king arrived last week, so not much info there, but the past couple kings have supposedly been working to improve relations.

Edit: I think it should be noted there are 20,000 permanent party throughout the year, and over 60,000 are trained every year at SAFB. Just based off of that, although I have no prior logistics knowledge, I'd think there'd be some form of billeting available.

I can tell you right now that the Tech School Dorms (2 man rooms, not open bay) are not available. They do not want "outsiders" mixed in with the students.

LATORRECA

NCSA at Parris Island I bet is enough to do in the Island. 😈😈😈😈

Sent from my HTC Desire 530 using Tapatalk

GaryVC

I was talking with our cadet commander last night. She said that although her mother (who is a CAP member) had encouraged her to apply for special activities, there was very little that interested her except of the ones labeled "leadership." I can think of two areas that are missing. One is Intel for which it would be easy to teach an unclassified orientation course, probably at the schoolhouse.  Another is music which could be done with the Air Force Band in DC and could be open to both instrumentalists and vocalists. I think these could be very positive for the Air Force and would encourage CAP cadets to join in those career fields.

THRAWN

Quote from: GaryVC on April 04, 2017, 05:57:20 PM
I was talking with our cadet commander last night. She said that although her mother (who is a CAP member) had encouraged her to apply for special activities, there was very little that interested her except of the ones labeled "leadership." I can think of two areas that are missing. One is Intel for which it would be easy to teach an unclassified orientation course, probably at the schoolhouse.  Another is music which could be done with the Air Force Band in DC and could be open to both instrumentalists and vocalists. I think these could be very positive for the Air Force and would encourage CAP cadets to join in those career fields.

Both would be great additions. There has been a noticeable decline in the number of military bands across the nation in recent years. Something like this might help to slow that down a bit. The intel idea is good as well. DHS offers an unclassified week long course on the use of open source intelligence during threat analysis. It's a good intro to the intel field, gets students some real world skills, and can be done literally anywhere, since the instructor staff comes to you.
Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023