Senior Member supplies question considering joining

Started by ThatBeardedGent, March 11, 2017, 01:37:42 AM

ThatBeardedGent

I am considering joining CAP as a 28 year old senior member. What are the uniforms? When are they worn? I am wanting to make a full informed decision.

Eclipse

Here is the uniform manual, but this question, as well as the hundred others you will have
are better addressed with the units you visit.

https://www.capmembers.com/media/cms/M391_E6F33EAAEC28A.pdf

If your handle matches your appearance, then only the corporate variants will be open to you,

"That Others May Zoom"

PhoenixRisen

Quote from: ThatBeardedGent on March 11, 2017, 01:37:42 AM
I am considering joining CAP as a 28 year old senior member. What are the uniforms? When are they worn? I am wanting to make a full informed decision.

Welcome!

There are certainly plenty of options depending on your current desires and "style".  As Eclipse mentioned, if you've got a beard - as your name suggests - there are non-Air Force style uniforms (corporate) that you can wear.  I'm currently in this boat, myself (got the beard, too).  I spent 9 years in as a clean-shaven Cadet wearing Air Force-style uniforms, and since transitioning to senior status, I've taken a bit more lax approach.

Whether you decide to keep the beard or not, there are plenty of options for you!

etodd

Quote from: Eclipse on March 11, 2017, 02:05:25 AM
Here is the uniform manual, but this question, as well as the hundred others you will have
are better addressed with the units you visit.

https://www.capmembers.com/media/cms/M391_E6F33EAAEC28A.pdf

If your handle matches your appearance, then only the corporate variants will be open to you,

Now see .... you should have stopped with the first sentence.  Great answer. We should all be in recruiting mode when a newbie shows up. Let the folks at the Squadron get into ''details'.  ;)
"Don't try to explain it, just bow your head
Breathe in, breathe out, move on ..."

Майор Хаткевич

etodd

Quote from: Майор Хаткевич on March 11, 2017, 08:05:35 AM
Dunno, second sentence was a good extra tip.

Yeah, but it just hit a nerve and reminded me of a recent event. We had a 14 year old kid visit awhile back, and yes he was a bit overweight. The Cadets were out on the tarmac drilling, and one of the Senior members was talking to him about it and said something to the effect of "We'll have you in shape in no time." The kid never returned.

Promote the opportunities ... without telling folks before they hit the door with how they must change to conform .. or how we would like them to change ... or how if they don't change they will be stuck wearing this or that.

As someone who has been in the marketing and ad business for over 45 years, I just have to shake my head sometimes at how CAP shoots itself in the foot so often, and then wonders about problems with recruiting and retention.  ::)
"Don't try to explain it, just bow your head
Breathe in, breathe out, move on ..."

Eclipse

The OP asked a direct question...

Quote from: ThatBeardedGent on March 11, 2017, 01:37:42 AMWhat are the uniforms? When are they worn? I am wanting to make a full informed decision.

...and I provided a direct answer, including the fact that if he has a beard he need not worry about USAF uniforms.  Having a beard is clearly important enough to the OP that he includes it in his handle as part of his identity, and conforming is basically a derivative of the word "uniform".

People spend way too much time letting their "nerves" filter what is actually written and then trying to turn it into an unnecessary opportunity to "make a statement".

This literally has nothing to do with a goober CC possibly making a mis-directed comment to a 14 year old (who has no weight to make, but does, as of writing this, need to make PT numbers to stay in the program).

Most of CAP's retention issues are caused by not setting the proper expectations during the recruiting discussions, or enforcing them inconsistently, not pretending they don't exist until the check clears.

The marketing and ad business is all about "sales" - just hook them however you can.  A CC's job is after-sales "support", and while it'll rankle Don Draper to hear it, proper vetting of sales, for CAP, is actually a good thing.

"That Others May Zoom"