Thinking of joining as an adult

Started by ThatBeardedGent, March 11, 2017, 01:17:12 AM

ThatBeardedGent

Hello my name is Chris and I have been considering joining for a while now but currently I am 28 and feel I may be too old given I have no military experience. What would be the best avenue to join? I know that I would be at a disadvantage but I also am a techie with an IT background and also interested in comms and am a ham radio operator.

Eclipse

28 is by no means too old, and you would have no disadvantage in that regard.

Find a unit in your area and contact them to discuss their local activities.

http://www.gocivilairpatrol.com/how_to_join/join-as-an-active-adult-member/

"That Others May Zoom"

Angus

Eclipse is correct, you wouldn't be at a disadvantage.  If you look at the number of our Senior Members, I'd say a good number of us have no prior military experience.  I myself don't, the closet I have is my training form AFJROTC in high school which was good to the drill.  SOme of the aerospace classes helped too.  :D
Maj. Richard J. Walsh, Jr.
Director Education & Training MAWG 
 Gill Robb Wilson #4030

PhoenixRisen

Quote from: ThatBeardedGent on March 11, 2017, 01:17:12 AM
Hello my name is Chris and I have been considering joining for a while now but currently I am 28 and feel I may be too old given I have no military experience. What would be the best avenue to join? I know that I would be at a disadvantage but I also am a techie with an IT background and also interested in comms and am a ham radio operator.

Welcome to CAPTalk!

Fellow techie / IT nerd here.  CAP definitely has some awesome stuff to get into if you've got an interest in comms!  I've been a member across both coasts and all of the comms folks I came across were knowledgeable, dedicated people!

Also -- as one of those members who's been in since they were a Cadet (currently 24 years old, going on 13 years of continuous membership), I certainly feel as if I'm in the minority.  The vast majority of senior members I've come across started out later in life.  You certainly wouldn't be at a disadvantage!

I can't speak much more for the comms side - besides the basics I've done as an aircrew guy - but on the tech side, I'm a CyberPatriot mentor for my squadron team and serve on my squadron IT staff maintaining our IT infrastructure, comms equipment, and website.  Feel free to PM me if you've got any questions!

Feel free to send me a PM if you've got any questions!

Майор Хаткевич

27 year old squadron commander. I'd say I'm typically the youngest guy in any CAP setting by 15-20 years on average.

Briank

I started at age 40 with no military background whatsoever.  I don't think you'll have any trouble, just read up on the regulations when you get a chance (not all at once, there's a ton!  Pick and choose as needed!).  Most every thing is detailed there.

etodd

Please visit your local squadron(s). They would love to have you visit and could use your skills. I just joined last year at age 60 with no military experience ... so you are never too old. LOL
"Don't try to explain it, just bow your head
Breathe in, breathe out, move on ..."

Flying Pig

Are you reliable and trustworthy? Do you have the ability to simply do what you say you will do and not leave people hanging?   If yes, then join.  Techie and IT!!??   You better be careful when you mention that because you may end up with more responsibility than you intended :)

Some of my best and most reliable members were stay at home moms who joined to have an activity with their kid. (Cadet).

Chappie

I joined at age 45 with no previous military background..like I have told some who have inquired the last uniform I had worn was when I worked as a courier driver when I was in college. I was a pastor of a local church with 20 years of experience as a volunteer Law Enforcement/Fire Dept chaplain.  Had some great mentors who provided great advice...participated in all sorts of activities/events...availed myself of opportunities to train and serve.  It has been/is a great ride.  The networking with individuals in the wing, region, and national is also beneficial to you personally and professionally.
Disclaimer:  Not to be confused with the other user that goes by "Chappy"   :)