Military badges for ABU's

Started by Okayish Aviator, March 05, 2017, 04:30:35 AM

PHall

Quote from: Eclipse on April 15, 2017, 03:12:27 AM
Quote from: PHall on April 15, 2017, 01:38:28 AM
I solved my military badges on ABU's by deciding to not wear them.
I wear only the mandatory insignia (name tape, branch tape, grade insignia, CAP wings).
Saved enough money for a couple 12 packs... >:D

A couple?  Must be one of those high-end imports!

Firestone-Walker 805.

SarDragon

That almost looks like Budweiser in special SeaWorld cans.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

jb512

Update:

So I placed the order on the 11th and they arrived today on the 15th (from Spur) so excellent review on timeliness. The center seal is slightly off from mil-spec but not enough to be noticeable, and the material looks black instead of midnight blue. I am waiting until I receive my Vanguard patches to make a comparison.

[If someone can direct me on how to post a picture I will...]

SarDragon

Images must be hosted externally, and linked in.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

stabuma

stabuma

Quote from: stabuma on April 15, 2017, 11:27:08 PM
Ordered from https://nametags4u.com/civilairpatrol

Forgot to mention that they will also embroider them on the navy blue background.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Eclipse

Nice badges, but they look too far apart, might be the angle

"That Others May Zoom"

HandsomeWalt_USMC

Quote from: stabuma on April 15, 2017, 11:27:08 PM
Ordered from https://nametags4u.com/civilairpatrol

Outfrigginstanding! I don't know but it's been said, Air Force wings are made of lead. You don't know but now you're told, Naval wings are made of gold! 8) :clap:
HANDSOME SENDS

Semper Fidelis

"PRIDE IS CONTAGIOUS"

Майор Хаткевич

Didn't mil wings have to go on top of cap wings?

SarDragon

That, too.

NFO wings at that - Non-Functioning Officer.  >:D
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

stabuma

Quote from: Майор Хаткевич on April 16, 2017, 04:07:51 AM
Didn't mil wings have to go on top of cap wings?
Maj Hatkevich,

Good question. There seems to be some ambiguity in the 35-1 paragraph directly relating to military badges on the BDU/ACUs in regulation.  Para 5.1.1.3.6., which pertains to the BDU uniform, reads that military aviation badges should be worn in "the second position" without clarifying where, specifically, is the "second position".  Yet the same paragraph also reads that "Chaplain and CAP Aviation badges are mandatory and will always be worn in the highest position." 

However, for all other uniforms it is clearly spelled out. For example, the following paragraphs 4.1.1.3.4.1., 4.1.2.3.4.1., 4.1.5.4.4.1., 4.1.7.4.4.1., all state "If military aviation badge is worn, it will be worn below any CAP aviation badges."

So, in the absence of unambiguous guidance, I made the logical assumption that the placement on BDUs should match all other CAP uniforms.

Счастливой Пасхи!

stabuma

Quote from: SarDragon on April 16, 2017, 06:12:21 AM
That, too.

I prefer "self loading baggage"

stabuma

Quote from: Eclipse on April 15, 2017, 11:47:01 PM
Nice badges, but they look too far apart, might be the angle
You're correct. They should be spaced 1/2 inch apart as measured from the emblem to emblem, not the blue edge to blue edge. I shall have them adjusted.

SarDragon

Quote from: SarDragon on April 16, 2017, 06:12:21 AM
That, too.

I sit corrected.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

NIN

Quote from: stabuma on April 16, 2017, 06:24:31 AM
You're correct. They should be spaced 1/2 inch apart as measured from the emblem to emblem, not the blue edge to blue edge. I shall have them adjusted.

When done correctly, that is, the first badge's embroidery 1/2" from the *edge* of the nametape, and then the subsequent badge is 1/2" embroidery-to-embroidery, the open space between the badge's surrounding fabric will look "off".  The space between the first badge and the nametape will be wider than the space between the first and second badge.

I "cheat" my badges just a tiny bit to compensate (like 1/16" of an inch), either by leaving the first badge 100% correct and then moving the 2nd badge up a bit more to create a more equal space, or by cheating both badges, the first down a tiny bit and the 2nd up a tiny bit.  It looks "more correct" visually, and nobody is going to give you any business over 1/16" of an inch.

(Plus, it proves out my old adage "if it looks wrong, it is wrong."  The old way, I always had someone saying "Are your badges correct? They look off.." and then they whip out a ruler, whereas by adjusting it slightly, nobody's ever said anything but "Wow, looks great!" Then again, basically nobody whips out a ruler on me anymore, anyway, so maybe its a little confirmation bias there...LOL.)

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

NIN

Oh, but I did mean to say "That looks pretty boss regardless."

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.