Military badges for ABU's

Started by Okayish Aviator, March 05, 2017, 04:30:35 AM

Okayish Aviator

I've got to say, this problem to which I'm about to ask you is a good one to have. I've searched the forum the best I can for the answer before posting but to no avail...

My squadron has been growing pretty solidly, and we just obtained 4 new senior members, all of whom are former or current military. Here's the question:

Is there a place to get their badges that would go over the CAP tape (such as a cyberspace wings, missile, or other qualification badge) in the ABU color so they can wear them once we have all the paperwork on file in their records? I've not found a way to have Vanguard do it so I'm considering looking outward to other companies. Thanks all!
Always give 100%, unless you're giving blood.

Abby.L

Have you called Vanguard? I could swear I saw some Senior Command Pilot wings in another thread that were supposedly made by Vanguard. If not, there may be a shop near a nearby military base(If you're lucky) that specializes in military nametages that might be able to get whatever they need embroidered. That's what I did. I had to source the fabric, but they did a good job with the embroidery and were fairly cheap.
Capt Abby R. Lockling
SSgt(Sep) USAF, 41ECS
Charlie flight, NBB 2013

Jester

https://www.nametags4u.com/product/?pid=1671

I got some of the first ones they did and the navy blue fabric isn't a perfect match but fairly close. I emailed them when the ABU nametapes finally came out from Vanguard and let them know. I'm sure others did too but I don't know if they changed their fabric.

I don't recommend the folded option. They aren't folded to standard. I had to redo mine.

The embroidery seems great.

Vanguard only offers AF pilot wings and jump wings in the silver on dark blue option. I asked if they'd make any other badges and they said they would have to see some demand for them.

GaryVC

I was able to get Master Navigator wings and an intel badge from Name Tags for You (see link above). I had them sewn on by one of the local places that does military alterations (near Nellis AFB NV) and they look great. I sent them some rank insignia I had received from Vanguard and I think they did a good job matching the color.

HandsomeWalt_USMC

If any of your seniors are prior Navy or USMC Aviation, Navy coverall insignia is a very close color match for the CAP dark blue tapes. You can get all USN warfare devices and wings in silver/gold on dark blue direct from vanguard, as well as some multi-service insignia (jump wings, EOD and such). I got Naval Aircrew wings gold on dark blue to put on my BDUs.
HANDSOME SENDS

Semper Fidelis

"PRIDE IS CONTAGIOUS"

unmlobo

If you are okay with them in the Blue Fabric versus ABU Tan this site is a good one.  If you are looking for actual ABU breast badge insignia I would ask if people near bases would buy the item for you and send it.  Just my two cents.  Hope this helps.

https://www.nametags4u.com/civilairpatrol/
Major, CAP
HI WG

SWChief

Quote from: Jester on March 05, 2017, 04:40:37 AM
......Vanguard only offers AF pilot wings and jump wings in the silver on dark blue option. I asked if they'd make any other badges and they said they would have to see some demand for them.

Former Seabee Here. I contacted Vanguard about getting a Seabee Combat Warfare badge in CAP colors.  They said they wouldn't do it unless I ordered 100 of them. Strike one Vanguard.
They also mentioned the coverall version colors wouldn't match.  Although I do think they look similar.
Anywhos, planning on calling 1800nametapes or nametags4u. just haven't gotten around to it.

HandsomeWalt_USMC

Chief, the coverall insignia is not an exact match, but very very close. I'll try to get a photo of the Aircrew wings I have on my BDUs for you.

Edit: hope this picture works!
HANDSOME SENDS

Semper Fidelis

"PRIDE IS CONTAGIOUS"

SWChief

WOW...looks pretty close to me in the picture.

So, My question to you HandsomeWalt, Would you recommend the coverall version then for ABU's?

If so, I might just pick up mine at Vanguard and take the chance,  Probably going to do an order with them here shortly anyways, Worth a few bucks to try I guess. 

Thanks for posting up the pic. :)

HandsomeWalt_USMC

Yes, the tapes and insignia on my BDUS are the new style authorized for all utility uniforms in terms ABU change letter.
HANDSOME SENDS

Semper Fidelis

"PRIDE IS CONTAGIOUS"

SWChief

Quote from: HandsomeWalt_USMC on March 06, 2017, 01:33:14 AM
Yes, the tapes and insignia on my BDUS are the new style authorized for all utility uniforms in terms ABU change letter.

Thanks! I will give it a go then!

SARDOC

Quote from: HandsomeWalt_USMC on March 05, 2017, 10:29:03 PM
Chief, the coverall insignia is not an exact match, but very very close. I'll try to get a photo of the Aircrew wings I have on my BDUs for you.

As a former Naval Aircrewman myself, I can't tell you how much I dig this.

Old Cadence Ditty: "I don't know but it's been said, Air Force Wings are made of lead" "You don't know what you've been told, Navy wings are made of gold"

SarDragon

Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

NIN

Quote from: HandsomeWalt_USMC on March 05, 2017, 10:29:03 PM

Daggone, that looks sharp.

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

NIN

Quote from: unmlobo on March 05, 2017, 05:55:52 PM
If you are okay with them in the Blue Fabric versus ABU Tan this site is a good one.  If you are looking for actual ABU breast badge insignia I would ask if people near bases would buy the item for you and send it.  Just my two cents.  Hope this helps.

https://www.nametags4u.com/civilairpatrol/

I got crew wings from Williams & Williams, and their "dark blue" was lighter than Vanguard's (plus the fabric was a little odd..)

I also ordered crew wings from Spur on "midnight blue", and it was darker than Vanguard's (can't win!)

I wound up using the ones from Spur because its not obvious except in bright light. :)  I've been a huge fan of Spur for years.

A friend of mine wound up having his uniforms done here: https://www.kellac.com/h/Uniforms/  and they did his security forces badge in silver on dark blue and, according to him, it was "right on." I'd guess they'd have some of the other military badges that Vanguard doesn't.  Might be worth a call to them.

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

jb512

I concur with NIN. I ordered my mil badge from Spur (1800nametape.com) and after emailing them with the special request they were done and shipped in two days at $5.00 each, $3.50 for shipping.

kwe1009

Quote from: jb512 on April 14, 2017, 03:32:45 PM
I concur with NIN. I ordered my mil badge from Spur (1800nametape.com) and after emailing them with the special request they were done and shipped in two days at $5.00 each, $3.50 for shipping.

Agreed.  That is where I got mine from as well. 

PHall

I solved my military badges on ABU's by deciding to not wear them.
I wear only the mandatory insignia (name tape, branch tape, grade insignia, CAP wings).
Saved enough money for a couple 12 packs... >:D

Luis R. Ramos

Ya sound ominous!

Just give your name, service number and rank...

Helloo! How are you doing?
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

Eclipse

Quote from: PHall on April 15, 2017, 01:38:28 AM
I solved my military badges on ABU's by deciding to not wear them.
I wear only the mandatory insignia (name tape, branch tape, grade insignia, CAP wings).
Saved enough money for a couple 12 packs... >:D

A couple?  Must be one of those high-end imports!

"That Others May Zoom"