Main Menu

Special Promotions Help

Started by Walkman, February 28, 2017, 10:14:54 PM

Walkman

I'm having some trouble finding this info (I should've asked here first probably). I haven't heard back from higher-ups.

I have two special promos to process and need to have someone explain it to me like I'm a 3 year old.

1) Former Earhart cadet who turned 21 and became SM. How to process promotion to 1st Lt?
2) Current USAF O-3 who just joined as SM. How to process him to CAP O-3? What info do I need to get from him to provide to whomever needs it as proof of USAF rank?

Thanks
-KW

jeders

Quote from: Walkman on February 28, 2017, 10:14:54 PM
I'm having some trouble finding this info (I should've asked here first probably). I haven't heard back from higher-ups.

I have two special promos to process and need to have someone explain it to me like I'm a 3 year old.

1) Former Earhart cadet who turned 21 and became SM. How to process promotion to 1st Lt?
2) Current USAF O-3 who just joined as SM. How to process him to CAP O-3? What info do I need to get from him to provide to whomever needs it as proof of USAF rank?

Thanks
-KW

Fill out a form 2 for each. For the Earhart, include the Earhart award number. For the USAF O-3 include a copy of his military ID or promotion orders. Submit up the chain-of-command.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

Walkman

Thanks Jeders!

Does my former cadet have to complete the Foundations section of L1? He's completed OPSEC, CPT, etc.

Eclipse

CAPR 35-5 Page 12
https://www.capmembers.com/media/cms/R035_005_489E25C089E93.pdf

"3.7. Former CAP Cadets. Upon reaching age 21, former CAP cadets who reached certain levels of
achievement in the CAP cadet program are eligible for appointment to the officer grades outlined in figure
5. (See figure 8 for grades authorized former cadets under age 21). NOTE: These members are exempt
from the foundations portion of Level I of the Professional Development Program provided they have less
than a 2-year membership break prior to assuming active member status
. The CPPT and OPSEC portions
must be completed prior to any promotion action."

Cadet Award     Grade Authorized
Mitchell             Second Lieutenant
Earhart             First Lieutenant
Spaatz              Captain

"That Others May Zoom"

NIN

Keep in mind: just having the Mitchell in the [former] cadet's records ain't enough.

You have to fill out a CAPF 11 for Foundations completion/waiver due to Mitchell. Be sure to annotate that. Send it to HQ as dictated on the form/reg (IIRC, lmmeforms@capnhq.gov, but I could be wrong).

It will take a few days for it to get entered.  *poof* [former] cadet now has Foundations.

Then you've got the ability to submit a CAPF 2 (not via eServices) for a Special Appointment UP para 3.7.  I always recommend putting the justification in the remarks block, just in case you get someone in the intervening echelon(s) who missed the boat on Special Appointments, Mission Related Skills, and such. Don't make them have to go back to eServices, and say "OK, what is this guy's quals?"  Make it clear: "SM Bagofdonuts is qualified for 1st Lt as a former Earhart cadet under the provisions of CAPR 35-5, para 3.7."

When I get a CAPF2 in for a special, I always look  to see if the Personnel Officer or commander at the previous echelon helped me out (and helped out the echelon above) with extra info.

It never hurts to do what you can to avoid having a promotion sit for a day or two on someones [virtual] desk because they're not 100% sure what you're trying to do.

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

kwe1009

Quote from: jeders on February 28, 2017, 10:19:53 PM
Fill out a form 2 for each. For the Earhart, include the Earhart award number. For the USAF O-3 include a copy of his military ID or promotion orders. Submit up the chain-of-command.

Actually it is against the law to copy a military ID.  For currently serving military members a copy of promotion orders or a letter from their CC verifying their rank will take care of that.

http://www.navy.mil/submit/display.asp?story_id=63581

coudano

Squadron commander is the authority for 1st Lt, so you don't have to send that one up any chain of command.  Just send it in to nhq.

Captain requires group/cc (or wing if there is no group structure), so that will go up the chain.
Just a printout of their rip will probably do.  Even just the first page would be sufficient to show rank.