Mission Staff Assistant a defacto requirement for Tech Rating in Safety?

Started by arBar, February 23, 2017, 03:58:15 AM

stillamarine

I happened to look at some SQTRs this week because of an upcoming SAREX. I always thought MSA or MRO were requirements for any other mission base billets. I apparently was wrong. You can go AOBD or GBD, PSC, OSC then IC without having MSA. Yet some smaller requirements (PIO, LO) requires it.
Tim Gardiner, 1st LT, CAP

USMC AD 1996-2001
USMCR    2001-2005  Admiral, Great State of Nebraska Navy  MS, MO, UDF
tim.gardiner@gmail.com

Eclipse

Quote from: arBar on February 23, 2017, 03:58:15 AM
Has anyone else encountered this?

I can't get my Tech rating in Safety because e-services says I'm not a trainee status as a Mission Safety Officer (which is a requirement).

No, it actually isn't, at least not in terms of the actual verbiage of the Pamphlet.
Every time I saw this thread something didn't ring true and I finally had a moment to read it.

CAPP 217, Page 8
http://www.capmembers.com/media/cms/P217_0B9C2E042F744.pdf

"SERVICE REQUIREMENTS
1. Complete a minimum 6-month internship as a unit safety officer or assistant safety officer.
2. Conduct at a minimum six safety briefings/meetings for the unit IAW CAPR 62-1.
3. Complete a Mishap Entry with all appropriate information (this may be entered as a "test entry" if no mishap has occurred).
4. Complete at least one eServices Improvement Suggestion/Hazard Report Entry (this may be entered as a "test entry" if no identifiable hazard exists).
5. Completion of the technician level requirements must be evaluated and certified using Attachment 1, Safety Officer Technician Level Checklist, by a senior or master
rated safety officer and processed in accordance with CAPR 50-17.
6. Qualify in General Emergency Services (GES).
7. Successfully complete Initial Communications User Training (I-CUT).
8. Begin training as a Mission Safety Officer (MSO)."

Note, it does not say "Trainee Status", it says "begin training", versus the verbiage for Senior which says:

"6. Become a qualified Mission Safety Officer."

Approval of any specialty track is at the subjective authority of the respective Unit Commander, in this case in concert
with a "Senior or Master-rated" Safety Officer.

"Begin training" is as simple as "Yes, I'm working with Maj Simpson our ESO on the requirements, one of which will be MSA",
and Capt Rowe is helping me with what I need to know for the tasks".

"GES" is objective, "Icut" is objective, "begin training" isn't.

MSA is required for MSO, it's required for a Senior in Safety, it's not required for Technician.

>>>>Luis R. Ramos was actually correct all along, and I'd question if there is actually an issue clicking this off in eServices.
>>>>If I could edit my posts above I would.

"That Others May Zoom"

MacGruff

Eclipse - Your research is correct.

The situation in e-services is that it is required that you be listed as a TRAINEE as an MSO before it will let the PDO give you the TECHNICIAN rating in safety. Maybe that's a mistake in e-services, but that's how it is currently coded. Or, maybe the way "begin training" is being interpreted is to mean actually being in Trainee status?

If you look above, I have someone in my squadron who has the exact same situation as the opening post...

Eclipse

Time for a Help Desk ticket, or a regulation change / clarification.

"That Others May Zoom"

arajca

Quote from: MacGruff on February 26, 2017, 10:43:06 PM
Eclipse - Your research is correct.

The situation in e-services is that it is required that you be listed as a TRAINEE as an MSO before it will let the PDO give you the TECHNICIAN rating in safety. Maybe that's a mistake in e-services, but that's how it is currently coded. Or, maybe the way "begin training" is being interpreted is to mean actually being in Trainee status?

If you look above, I have someone in my squadron who has the exact same situation as the opening post...
Playing Devil's Advocate - If a member is not a MSO Trainee in Eservices, how does eServices know the member is in training to be an MSO?

Luis R. Ramos

Why should eServices need to reflect that?

Take for instance Technician ES checklist. It states that the member must be "one year qualified in any ES specialty."

Yet a PDO awards the Tech rating without any meddling from eServices checking whether that person really has that qualification. Should it? Maybe. But this is another completely different issue.

Likewise the PDO should be able to award that Tech rating without eServices checking whether that member is an MSO trainee. Should it? Maybe. But again this is another different issue that must be stated in the CAP regs. The checklist says only "should be in training." The checklist and regs do not say "should be a trainee."

Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

Eclipse

Quote from: arajca on February 27, 2017, 03:07:07 AM
Playing Devil's Advocate - If a member is not a MSO Trainee in Eservices, how does eServices know the member is in training to be an MSO?

It doesn't, and shouldn't because "MSO Trainee", per se is not a requirement.

The presumption here is that the PDO module isn't allowing the appointment, all other things being equal, but this is hard to confirm
because there is no way to test it.

If the OP is "being told that", then a clarification to the teller is in order.  If the system is locking out
the appointment, then a Help Desk ticket is in order.

"That Others May Zoom"

Luis R. Ramos

I sent a request to the Help Desk for clarification and checking that assumption. I will post what they say.
Squadron Safety Officer

THRAWN

Quote from: Eclipse on February 27, 2017, 03:45:47 AM
Quote from: arajca on February 27, 2017, 03:07:07 AM

It doesn't, and shouldn't because "MSO Trainee", per se is not a requirement.

The presumption here is that the PDO module isn't allowing the appointment, all other things being equal, but this is hard to confirm
because there is no way to test it.

If the OP is "being told that", then a clarification to the teller is in order.  If the system is locking out
the appointment, then a Help Desk ticket is in order.

But isn't it? If you are "in training", are you not a "trainee"? I grok that the language chosen is less than perfect but this seems like one of those areas that should follow the definitions of words.
Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

Luis R. Ramos

Then NHQ should change another part of that regulation to reflect such use.
Squadron Safety Officer

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: stillamarine on February 26, 2017, 05:01:13 PM
I happened to look at some SQTRs this week because of an upcoming SAREX. I always thought MSA or MRO were requirements for any other mission base billets. I apparently was wrong. You can go AOBD or GBD, PSC, OSC then IC without having MSA. Yet some smaller requirements (PIO, LO) requires it.

Just an FYI, this post is: http://captalk.net/index.php?topic=21875.msg400000#msg400000

Congratulations, Mr 400,000th Post Author

stillamarine

Quote from: Майор Хаткевич on March 01, 2017, 03:38:36 PM
Quote from: stillamarine on February 26, 2017, 05:01:13 PM

Just an FYI, this post is: http://captalk.net/index.php?topic=21875.msg400000#msg400000

Congratulations, Mr 400,000th Post Author

Where's my cookie??  >:D
Tim Gardiner, 1st LT, CAP

USMC AD 1996-2001
USMCR    2001-2005  Admiral, Great State of Nebraska Navy  MS, MO, UDF
tim.gardiner@gmail.com

Майор Хаткевич

SarDragon

Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member