Flight Release Officer Training

Started by KarolOpelski, February 14, 2017, 10:52:36 PM

KarolOpelski

Quick question:

Is there a way to complete the FRO training without going through LMS?

LMS puts certain restrictions on who can take FRO training (even though there are no restrictions in the 60-1 or the 60-3), and I need it for AOBD.

Thanks,

Karol

stillamarine

Quote from: KarolOpelski on February 14, 2017, 10:52:36 PM
Quick question:

LMS puts certain restrictions on who can take FRO training (even though there are no restrictions in the 60-1 or the 60-3), and I need it for AOBD.

Thanks,

Karol

What are the restrictions? I know I took it a while back just cause it was there and I was in a training mood.
Tim Gardiner, 1st LT, CAP

USMC AD 1996-2001
USMCR    2001-2005  Admiral, Great State of Nebraska Navy  MS, MO, UDF
tim.gardiner@gmail.com

KarolOpelski

Quote from: stillamarine on February 14, 2017, 11:26:49 PM
Quote from: KarolOpelski on February 14, 2017, 10:52:36 PM
Quick question:

Thanks,

Karol

What are the restrictions? I know I took it a while back just cause it was there and I was in a training mood.

There are a couple.

Specific to my question is membership status. I have a cadet member that wants to take it, but the training module says that cadet members don't have access to it. None of the regulations confirm this, and I know of a cadet that has completed it (he won't tell how though).

EMT-83

Too bad cadets don't have their own program to follow. Oh, wait..

KarolOpelski

Quote from: EMT-83 on February 15, 2017, 12:33:16 AM
Too bad cadets don't have their own program to follow. Oh, wait..

This is exactly why I didn't say the specific nature of the situation--because of people like you.

Listen, I'm not a cadet, but I really don't care what they do. If they're qualified, let them in. If you don't have an answer to my question, please leave.

Eclipse

If they are "cadets", they aren't "qualified".

"That Others May Zoom"

KarolOpelski

Quote from: Eclipse on February 15, 2017, 01:50:10 AM
If they are "cadets", they aren't "qualified".

Citation?

I'm looking for a reg that says cadets can't' do FRO training or a way for them to do it, not comments like this.

CAPDCCMOM

Hey Mods, can we please click this one.  We seem to have a new arrival wanting to stir up a brouhaha,  and I am fresh out of popcorn. Much obliged y'all

Eclipse

https://missions.capnhq.gov/ops/dot/school/fro/frop2.cfm

The FROs are CAP senior members designated in writing as Flight Release Officers by the region or wing commander,

Further to that, considering both the critical nature of FROs, and most wings' conservative posture about who is
appointed as such, I can imagine why it would be necessary, nor considered a good idea to allow a cadet to be an FRO,
outside a very small lane during an academy or similar and only under supervision.

"That Others May Zoom"

KarolOpelski

Quote from: Eclipse on February 15, 2017, 02:02:07 AM
https://missions.capnhq.gov/ops/dot/school/fro/frop2.cfm

The FROs are CAP senior members designated in writing as Flight Release Officers by the region or wing commander,

Further to that, considering both the critical nature of FROs, and most wings' conservative posture about who is
appointed as such, I can imagine why it would be necessary, nor considered a good idea to allow a cadet to be an FRO,
outside a very small lane during an academy or similar and only under supervision.

Thank you. This is part 1 of what I am looking for. This very helpful.

This pertains specifically to the second part of the FRO process. First you get the training done, then you get appointed by the Wing Commander. (Kinda like Skills Evaluator appointments). For the AOBD and PSC quals, only the training is required, and not the appointment.

This gives me specific proof (even if not regulational or current) that cadets cannot  be appointed as FROs, but it does not actually say whether they should be able to do the training.

KarolOpelski

Quote from: CAPDCCMOM on February 15, 2017, 01:58:34 AM
Hey Mods, can we please click this one.  We seem to have a new arrival wanting to stir up a brouhaha,  and I am fresh out of popcorn. Much obliged y'all

In case you didn't notice, I'm actually just trying to get a question answered.

This question isn't random either. Three days ago, a cadet in NYWG got his PSC approved. I want to know how that was possible.

Luis R. Ramos

Why don't you look at the requirements for Planning Section Chief? 

There is no age requirement. Nothing in there says "Has to be a senior member." Just to "be Ground Branch Director."

However there is age requirement for Ground Branch Director.

The biggest requirement is "To be at least 18 years old."

I think I know the cadet you are talking about. I am not going into more specifics because I would give too much info on this public forum, but I assure you this cadet has earned his Planning Section Chief since he has his Ground Branch Director and is above 18 years old.

Believe me, an FRO responsibilities are much more complex than Ground Branch Director. If NHQ had published in CAPR 60-3 that "Only senior members can make Planning Section Chief..." or "Only senior members can become Ground Branch Directors..." this New York cadet would not have become PSC and GBD.

Not the case with FRO.

Your cadet has to be a senior member. You can say "You are not a senior member therefore you do not meet qualifications" then quote the section number from the reg given above. Period.
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

KarolOpelski

Quote from: Luis R. Ramos on February 15, 2017, 03:30:53 AM
Why don't you look at the requirements for Planning Section Chief? 

There is no age requirement. Nothing in there says "Has to be a senior member." Just to "be Ground Branch Director."

However there is age requirement for Ground Branch Director.

The biggest requirement is "To be at least 18 years old."

I think I know the cadet you are talking about. I am not going into more specifics because I would give too much info on this public forum, but I assure you this cadet has earned his Planning Section Chief since he has his Ground Branch Director and is above 18 years old.

Believe me, an FRO responsibilities are much more complex than Ground Branch Director. If NHQ had published in CAPR 60-3 that "Only senior members can make Planning Section Chief..." or "Only senior members can become Ground Branch Directors..." this New York cadet would not have become PSC and GBD.

Not the case with FRO.

Your cadet has to be a senior member. You can say "You are not a senior member therefore you do not meet qualifications" then quote the section number from the reg given above. Period.

I understand that there is absolutely nothing in the regs about an age requirement for PSC. I am not disputing this cadet's quals.

What I am looking for, however, is how he got those quals. eServices will not let any cadet attempt the FRO training (which is a requirement for PSC, and this cadet has).

If you know this cadet personally, maybe you could get an answer from him, but the person that contacted me about this said he was very resistant to talking about it.

Luis R. Ramos

As I said I will not talk about this cadet anymore nor will I ask him as you suggested.

Are you sure that MIMS will stop cadets from taking this online class and test? Did you see the actual online response? Are you sure it was not the cadet's age?

Because there was nothing in CAPR 60-1 Sect. 2.5 stating about being a cadet or senior in order to take the training. It is when naming one that "must be a senior member."
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

Eclipse

Quote from: KarolOpelski on February 15, 2017, 03:41:09 AMbut the person that contacted me about this said he was very resistant to talking about it.

Maybe because it's none of your (or the other person's) concern?

If members in the chain are concerned, they will have access to this cadet's SQTR, can see who approved FRO, and if they
have standing, ask how that was completed.

"That Others May Zoom"

KarolOpelski

Quote from: Luis R. Ramos on February 15, 2017, 04:04:37 AM
As I said I will not talk about this cadet anymore nor will I ask him as you suggested.

Are you sure that MIMS will stop cadets from taking this online class and test? Did you see the actual online response? Are you sure it was not the cadet's age?

Because there was nothing in CAPR 60-1 Sect. 2.5 stating about being a cadet or senior in order to take the training. It is when naming one that "must be a senior member."

Yes. LMS prevents anyone with a cadet membership status from taking the test apparently, no matter the age. The fact that it's not in a regulation is what makes it so weird.

KarolOpelski

Quote from: Eclipse on February 15, 2017, 04:05:26 AM
Quote from: KarolOpelski on February 15, 2017, 03:41:09 AMbut the person that contacted me about this said he was very resistant to talking about it.

If members in the chain are concerned, they will have access to this cadet's SQTR, can see who approved FRO, and if they

Precisely why I came here--that specific qual is none of my concern, but I want to replicate it with some of my cadets.

Huey Driver

Quote from: KarolOpelski on February 15, 2017, 05:46:00 AM

Precisely why I came here--that specific qual is none of my concern, but I want to replicate it with some of my cadets.

The relevant task is simply "Complete Flight Release Officer Training". It doesn't state that the member need be qualified as a FRO - only that they've received the training, which is the case of the cadet PSC. But as the training module isn't available to us cadets, this training was done through a senior member. How, you ask? I wouldn't know, but a qualified FRO/SET put their credentials on the line to validate that this cadet received the training.

Although, there was no evaluator CAPID submitted in this case...
With malice toward none, with charity for all, with firmness in the right...

KarolOpelski

Quote from: Nor'easter on February 15, 2017, 12:42:55 PM
Quote from: KarolOpelski on February 15, 2017, 05:46:00 AM

The relevant task is simply "Complete Flight Release Officer Training". It doesn't state that the member need be qualified as a FRO - only that they've received the training, which is the case of the cadet PSC. But as the training module isn't available to us cadets, this training was done through a senior member. How, you ask? I wouldn't know, but a qualified FRO/SET put their credentials on the line to validate that this cadet received the training.

Although, there was no evaluator CAPID submitted in this case..

Correct. In this case, it says that it was submitted through MIMS; meaning that the training was taken either through LMS or another eServices-linked module. I don't there's even a CAPID box on that task.

Eclipse

Your best option here is to send a message to the Knowledgbase or the Operations Directorate in this regard.

"That Others May Zoom"