Main Menu

Keeping it Classy in CAP

Started by CAPDCCMOM, February 01, 2017, 05:27:59 PM

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: Eclipse on February 02, 2017, 08:06:54 PM
Quote from: Майор Хаткевич on February 02, 2017, 07:53:36 PM
And this is why I don't associate with CAP on my social media...

You think you don't, but Google disagrees.  The first search brought up more linkage then you could
scrub in a lifetime - just the nature of being an active member.

Same goes for the gent in question, open-source connectivity all over the web.  He didn't need
to post under anything official for the media or the Rep's office to put those two things together.

That's the problem - it's not just your social marketing media platform use, it's everyone else.

Oh, I'm not saying someone could figure out that I'm a CAP member. I've got some pictures on my Social media that show me as a member of CAP, but I don't tag myself as such, don't list it, and it would be  a brute force effort to make that link based on my public profiles. On top of it, my social media is locked down to a certain extent, so it shouldn't be too much of an issue.

But this will always be my favorite CAP - Me connection: http://capblog.typepad.com/capblog/2007/02/at_the_request_.html

ProdigalJim

Quote from: RNOfficer on February 02, 2017, 09:08:10 PM
Quote from: CAPDCCMOM on February 01, 2017, 05:27:59 PM
What not to post in your Recruiting efforts :o

http://www.kansascity.com/news/local/crime/article129895544.html

I's the FRONT PAGE of the Topeka Capitol-Journal

"Messages left with the Civil Air Patrol headquarters were not immediately returned Tuesday afternoon."

This doesn't help.

Jim Mathews, Lt. Col., CAP
VAWG/CV
My Mitchell Has Four Digits...

Mitchell 1969

Quote from: DJ Light Chop on February 01, 2017, 05:42:05 PM
Hey, free publicity!

There is no prosecution for this, as he committed no crime. (No threat accompanied by "present ability.")

But it's a PR hit bit both the local unit and CAP in general. And, in that regard, this does not help:

<<Messages left with the Civil Air Patrol headquarters were not immediately returned Tuesday afternoon.>> Does CAP even have a Crisis Management Team, a Crisis Management Plan? Because this how organizations GET Crisis Management structures - I've seen it done and been well paid to make it happen.

Mitchell 1969; Earhart 1971; Eaker 1973. Cadet Flying Encampment, License, 1970. IACE New Zealand 1971; IACE Korea 1973.

CAP has been bery, bery good to me.

stillamarine

Quote from: ProdigalJim on February 02, 2017, 11:44:40 PM

"Messages left with the Civil Air Patrol headquarters were not immediately returned Tuesday afternoon."

This doesn't help.

Could be a time zone thing? I don't know what time zone KC is on, we are central here in Bama. Also depends on the number they called I reckon.
Tim Gardiner, 1st LT, CAP

USMC AD 1996-2001
USMCR    2001-2005  Admiral, Great State of Nebraska Navy  MS, MO, UDF
tim.gardiner@gmail.com

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: stillamarine on February 03, 2017, 02:48:06 PM
Quote from: ProdigalJim on February 02, 2017, 11:44:40 PM

This doesn't help.

Could be a time zone thing? I don't know what time zone KC is on, we are central here in Bama. Also depends on the number they called I reckon.

It's a message...whomever heard it, should have escalated it to the right people.

MSG Mac

I wish the press would do their due diligence in reporting the facts.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: MSG Mac on February 03, 2017, 04:08:36 PM
I wish the press would do their due diligence in reporting the facts.

It doesn't sound as interesting when "John Q. Nobody threatens government official".

CAPDCCMOM

how was the press negligent? He made the post, he was known as a CAP Commander, he resigned. Those are the facts of the story. Was it criminal, probably not, was it a VERY poor choice, OH YEAH!!! A Commander has to be careful in word and deed at all times. That is a fact.

Майор Хаткевич

waukwiz

Hope this event will at least serve as a wake up call to some. Remind your fellow members that whenever you attach the name of the CAP to yourself, folks on the outside no longer see you, they see the CAP. This goes for cadets who act like stereotypical teenage nuisances in public in uniform just like it goes for senior members saying inappropriate things online under the occupation title "Hero at Civil Air Patrol".
Cadet Cullen Mayes
Waukesha Composite Squadron
"Ok, how about instead of doing that, let's not do that. Ok?"
GTM1 • MO • MRO • MSA • ♦UDF

Brad

Quote from: Mitchell 1969 on February 03, 2017, 01:13:28 AM...Does CAP even have a Crisis Management Team, a Crisis Management Plan? Because this how organizations GET Crisis Management structures - I've seen it done and been well paid to make it happen.

They're supposed to per CAPR 190-1:
Quote7.1.3. PA Crisis Communications Plan. In consultation with their commanders, PAOs at the wing and region levels will develop a Crisis Communications Plan to ensure a rapid and effective response during an emergency that may damage the organization's reputation if mishandled. Crisis PA plans will reflect guidance outlined in the CAP NHQ, Writing a Crisis Communication Plan. All crisis communication plans will be approved by the commander or designated representative. Wing and region crisis plans will be reviewed annually in the first quarter of the calendar year and if revised, submitted to NHQ PA for review and input.
Brad Lee
Maj, CAP
Assistant Deputy Chief of Staff, Communications
Mid-Atlantic Region
K4RMN