Monthly ES Schedule

Started by cfd358, February 01, 2017, 01:01:56 AM

cfd358

Good evening,

I'm looking to see if any current or former ES officers have put together a yearly schedule of topics they cover, or themes they have, on a monthly basis. For example, February is American Heart Month, so we focus on buddy CPR, first aid, etc., but change it up on a yearly basis based on that theme. Has any squadron done something similar and willing to share this info?

Okayish Aviator

PM Me your email, and I'll see what I can do to help.

Always give 100%, unless you're giving blood.

Ozzy

I have this year's ES Training plan I made for my squadron... It's an outline of where we were in the beginning of the year and where I hope to have the squadron by the end of it... Each month is detailed to certain tasks I could complete during a class or two and evaluate the cadets on to sign off. I'll post it once I get home and can send an attachment, I'm currently at the NYWG encampment training weekend.
Ozyilmaz, MSgt, CAP
C/Lt. Colonel (Ret.)
NYWG Encampment 07, 08, 09, 10, 17
CTWG Encampment 09, 11, 16
NER Cadet Leadership School 10
GAWG Encampment 18, 19
FLWG Winter Encampment 19

RazorbackPride

Quote from: DocJekyll on May 19, 2017, 11:40:24 PM
PM Me your email, and I'll see what I can do to help.

That's not necessary, I'm sure lots of ES folks could benefit from a normal public post in this thread (:

Okayish Aviator

Well, to alleviate the problem withstanding [a lack of operational ES members in a squadron, group etc.], the following plan of action can be used. Focus on the below list should be the priority for the squadron before some of the other more obscure qualifications. This list does not necessarily direct the order in which training will be accomplished, you'll have to work with your Group or Wing ES or operations officers to schedule the activities based on budgeting constraints and needs across the wing.

a)   General Emergency Services
b)   First Aid
c)   Urban Direction Finding / Ground Team Member
d)   Flight Line Marshalling / Flight Line Supervisor
e)   Communications / Mission Radio Operator
f)   Mission Scanner / Mission Observer / Mission Pilot / Airborne Photographer
g)   Mission Staff Assistant / Public Affairs

Here is a rundown of how I may start the long term planning of training to make a squadron operational. I may use a 6 month operational period or a 1 year period. There of course is a lot more to the planning of each item on this list, requesting mission numbers, ORM sheets, medical, logistics, getting evaluators for your activity or event if you don't have someone in the squadron who can sign off those tasks / teach the tasks. One thing to be aware of is that just because someone can sign someone off doesn't make them necessarily the most knowledgeable or skilled at teaching the tasks. Someone could have gotten a qualification a year ago, never been on any missions and then been put as an SET (it shouldn't go that way, but sometimes it does), or someone could have not been in an airplane in 2 years but is a SET for Mission Observer. Are they going to be the type of person to effectively train your staff? Probably not.

Basically, I run a planned quarterly FTX with intermittent SAREX's for other training opportunities. I do a 3/6/9/12 pattern for my large scale training activities, but it doesn't always fall like that either. In a squadron with an aircraft, you may wish to push aircrew and UDF training to the top of the priority list. Aircrews may not do any good if they have to land at an airport to DF an ELT and don't have any UDF training. Likewise, areas with not as much water may not need a "water survival course"  as listed below for aircrews but if you're in the mountains, a mountain flying course would be more appropriate.

Part of being a good ES officer is being able to adapt, and being an out of the box thinker. Find creative ways to shoe-horn training in, but make sure that if you do that your members are getting quality training on those tasks. The schedule is always changing, and when and how and what type of training you can offer will change too. Keep your members busy, give them work to do and they may just surprise you. Reach out to your neighboring squadrons and do inter-squadron activities as well. It doesn't have to be a group level FTX to get several squadrons together to do something productive.

Anyways, I'll get off my soapbox and show you an example of a 6mo operational period training calendar:

Proposed Squadron Training Calendar 2017
a.   January
      i.   [Squadron Weekend 2] First Aid
      ii.   [Squadron Weekend 3] GES Classroom (Completed Online)
b.   February
      i.   [Squadron Meeting 2] GES Practical Application of Information (Completed Online)
      ii.   [Squadron Weekend 2] UDF Prerequisite Tasks (In Meeting)
      iii.   [Squadron Weekend 3] FLM Prerequisite Tasks (In Meeting)
c.   March
      i.   March 3-5 – Group 6 FTX {Outside Group Training Opportunity}
      ii.   March 10-12 – Warbird Airshow [Skills sign off: FLM, UDF]
      iii.   March 24-26 – [Q1 FTX] "Dry Platypus FTX"
d.   April
      i.   April 4-9 – Sun n' Fun Airshow [Skills: FLM, UDF]
      ii.   April 21-23 – Group 6 FTX {Outside Group Training Opportunity}
      iii.   April 29-30 – [Communications (ICUT) / MRO]
e.   May
      i.   May 13 – Aircrew Training [MS, AP, MO]
      ii.   May 20 – Aircrew Training [MS, AP, MO - Completion]
      iii.   May 24 – [GTM2, GTL Classroom Tasks]
f.   June
      i.   June 10 – Water Survival [Aircrew Training]
      ii.   June 21-Jul1 – BLACKOUT (Summer Encampment)
g.   July
      i.   July 17-31 National Blue Beret – [Skills: UDF, FLM, FLS, GTM]
      ii.       [Date Unspecified] – [Q2 FTX] "Talladega Nights FTX"

I hope this helps...
Always give 100%, unless you're giving blood.