Main Menu

Cadet to Flight Officer

Started by Mrodriguez, January 25, 2017, 04:42:46 AM

Mrodriguez

I recently turned 18 and would like to switch from being a cadet to a FO.
What is required to do so? Testing, applications, etc.
Thank you for any help and information.
SM. RODRIGUEZ

DJ Light Chop

If you've already got your mitchell you shouldn't have any testing.  Just fingerprints, the CPPT, filling out the forms to transfer to senior.

Mrodriguez

I haven't received my Mitchell yet. I recently joined the unit I am with and I am only a C/SSgt currently.
SM. RODRIGUEZ

Abby.L

Going SM as a C/SSgt is pretty much the same as a new SM joining. You'll have to go through Lvl I, CPPT, all the forms and fingerprints, as DJ mentioned above. You'll also have to hold SMWOG for the same amount of time as a new member, as compared with a Mitchell+ cadet transferring where they get 2ndLt, 1stLt, or Capt automatically.

Sent from my LG-V521 using Tapatalk

Capt Abby R. Lockling
SSgt(Sep) USAF, 41ECS
Charlie flight, NBB 2013

Mrodriguez

Thank you for the quick response. How long would I be a SMWOG before being eligible to become a FO?
SM. RODRIGUEZ

Abby.L

Or in the case of FOs,  an automatic FO, TFO, or SFO.

Capt Abby R. Lockling
SSgt(Sep) USAF, 41ECS
Charlie flight, NBB 2013

DJ Light Chop

Not going to talk you out of going senior, but do keep in mind that once you go you can't go back.  So if earning the mitchell or higher is something you would be interested in doing eventually, now's the time to do it.

Abby.L

6 months, if I recall correctly. Which may not seem like a long time, but TIG as FO only counts towards TIG for 2ndLt, as TIG for TFO only counts towards TIG for 1stLt,  etc. It's a weird setup, honestly.

Capt Abby R. Lockling
SSgt(Sep) USAF, 41ECS
Charlie flight, NBB 2013

Mrodriguez

Thank you all again the information you've provided is very helpful.
SM. RODRIGUEZ

abdsp51

He should be doing CPPT anyway since he turned 18 regardless if a cadet or senior.

MSG Mac

Check out CAPR 35-5 and 50-17.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

jhighman

Also check CAPR 39-2, 3.2.5 which specifically addresses the process for cadets transferring to active senior status.

As mentioned before, this is a one way trip so make sure that you have done as much of the cadet program as you wish or are able before starting Down this road. If you're 18 and don't have your orientation flights completed, you won't be able to complete the Mitchell award.

Do your due diligence and consider what you really want to accomplish before making a decision. You get your entire adult life to be a senior but only a fleeting moment to be a cadet

jeders

Quote from: jhighman on January 25, 2017, 12:53:47 PM
Do your due diligence and consider what you really want to accomplish before making a decision. You get your entire adult life to be a senior but only a fleeting moment to be a cadet

What he said, times 1000.

If you're 18 and don't have your orientation flights completed, you won't be able to complete the Mitchell award.

Wait...what?! Completion of orientation flights has absolutely nothing to do with the Mitchell Award.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: jeders on January 25, 2017, 02:20:54 PM

If you're 18 and don't have your orientation flights completed, you won't be able to complete the Mitchell award.

Wait...what?! Completion of orientation flights has absolutely nothing to do with the Mitchell Award.

Yea, what's up with that?

DJ Light Chop

Maybe they're thinking encampment rather than O-Flight

jhighman

Sorry about that. I was victim of WIWAC thinking there. I confused the CAPP 52-7 prohibition of 18 or older from participating in orientation flights.

Shawn W.

Any particular reason you want to change over and not stay as a Cadet?

I've know a few members who have gone into the FO grades from being a cadet, only to get lost in the program because the squadrons they were in didn't know what to do with them.

My usual advice to any Cadet in a similiar situation, is to stay a cadet until you hit 21.

Just my humble opinion.

Good luck.

Mitchell 1969

If you switch now, you've got to complete some things and will be rank deficient for at least six months. If you stay as a cadet, you can boost your way closer to Mitchell in those same 6 months. Add encampment and you've got it in the bag. Then when you turn senior, you're a FO right away and will have a Mitchell. By then, you might even rethink it, as your role and responsibilities will be different and special activities might beckon.

Your call, of course. Thank you for thinking it through as you decide how best for you to serve.

Mitchell 1969; Earhart 1971; Eaker 1973. Cadet Flying Encampment, License, 1970. IACE New Zealand 1971; IACE Korea 1973.

CAP has been bery, bery good to me.

Jester

Has anyone had an older cadet attend their first encampment as an 18+ year old?  Any issues with it?

LATORRECA

I think he wants to be a senior, because he maybe thinking, he can be in charge of the same cadet leaders. Think he is one of those guy doesn't want to accept orders from younger cadets.
  My advice is to stay as cadet and work hard to get your Mitchell.  You will related better with cadets, where as if you turn senior member you will be in a place were cadets won't approach you because your status and some seniors won't respect you because your lack of experience and matured.

Sent from my HTC Desire 530 using Tapatalk