NCO selling points and benefits??

Started by kcebnaes, January 09, 2017, 02:00:15 AM

THRAWN

Quote from: TheSkyHornet on September 21, 2017, 03:11:21 PM
Quote from: Eclipse on September 21, 2017, 03:01:22 PM
Quote from: THRAWN on September 21, 2017, 02:57:00 PM
Quote from: TheSkyHornet on September 21, 2017, 02:52:16 PM
The role of a CAP NCO, though, is not solely defined to a Cadet Program.

So, I guess there's a question to be asked:
What is the question in itself---are we trying to recruit military NCOs to be CAP members, or are we trying to recruit military NCOs to be CAP NCOs?

Stuttering George....can you use the search function and review the couple dozen pages that already answer this question? Please.

To be fair, NHQ has insinuated that the answer is interdependent, while history, even in the last several years since the new program was announced,
shows otherwise.  I would hazard this is an unanswerable question in the current context.

Hence my point.

You have people that see CAP NCOs as a selling point to bring in members.

CAP had prior service NCOs before there were CAP NCOs. The role of the CAP NCO was introduced, and since modified, although a slow progression to actually develop it.

And Thrawn pointed out, himself, before his little tirade, that it's been "under development" for a long time now. And I would suppose it's because this very question is still answered. Many people in this organization today don't know what the difference between an NCO and an officer is, and they don't know how to incorporate those difference at both the unit staffing level and in training the collective of the NCO corps.

It's only an assumption, but I would guess that, seeing as there are more NCOs than officers in the military, there are probably more CAP members who were NCOs than were officers during their service. So of these NCOs, how many became CAP officers, and why? Do they see a difference in the benefit of being an officer versus an NCO, from a progression standpoint or a duty standpoint? Does that difference even exist?

If someone is going to recruit a prior NCO to join CAP, using their NCO status as a recruiting tool, then I would say you're trying to suggest to that individual that there is a benefit of them being an NCO, versus a prior service member. Or is it their level of experience? Hanging stripes in someone's face, going "Get these back" is an indicator, to me, that you're trying to recruit NCOs to be NCOs. But those of us already in CAP see that there is little distinction between a CAP NCO and a CAP officer.

So which is it? Are we recruiting NCOs, or are we recruiting members?

This topic derailed from the OP about 7 pages of comments back. So I think it's safe to say we can get over whether or not we're answering his question from January.

Literally every single one of your questions has been asked before, answered before, and there is still no progress on this "new exciting program". You have again, for probably the 300th time, identified the issues with the whole concept. Bottom line: it was the pet project of a NC who is a former NCO. There is no need for it, and even during his term, little was done to put it into play. Lots of people worked hard on codifying the motivation of people joining CAP, and in the end, the drafts sit on a shelf and collect dust. This discussion is all very interesting, but it does nothing to attract or retain members. Focus more on dead or dying missions.
Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

J2H

I joined back in 2013 as a SMWOG and was in CAP for a little over 2 months.  I reisgned to move out of state.  Back then, if you joined as an NCO, you stayed there.  Now I see there is a potential for promotion.  I am actually considering joining as a CAP SSgt (my last paygrade in the USAF).  In the end, right now, it looks like the decision to wear stripes over bars is personal preference... until a fully designed NCO program is facilitated.
SSgt Jeffrey Hughes, Squadron NCO
Glenn L. Martin Composite Squadron MD-031