Source for small (child size) blue flight suits?

Started by xray328, January 05, 2017, 05:45:33 PM

Alaric

Quote from: Eclipse on January 06, 2017, 08:28:29 PM
Quote from: Alaric on January 06, 2017, 08:03:16 PMyou are not getting my point.  Yes anyone can go (provided they have permission from the Wing for fundraising) and solicit funds.  The structure of the little league and scouting of my youth was that a unit wasn't stood up without a corporate sponsor which helped defray costs.  That is not the current structure of CAP, not saying it couldn't be, or that it may happen on an individual unit basis.  That's the only comparison I was making

That's not the BSA of today, either.

Yes, units require a sponsoring organization, but in money cases it's just a church, school, or park district which provides no
support beyond a meeting place (and sometimes not even that).  My kids' unit met at a local church which basically
tolerated them because they always had, but the minute the door opened for them to be gone, they were, and
no financial support was ever provided.

For every unit that has a benefactor like the Lion's Club, there are plenty that have none.

Okay, that's good to know.  My last contact with Scouting was when I was 15 and Little League I was 10

Eclipse

Quote from: Alaric on January 06, 2017, 08:31:07 PM
Okay, that's good to know.  My last contact with Scouting was when I was 15 and Little League I was 10
...with merit badge cards on little carved stone tablets.

Kidding aside, though, this particular thread isn't even about things that cost the members money, it's about o-rides
which are USAF funded.

Why >isn't< there a golf shirt or similar option for cadets, especially in their first quarter of membership?

Heck, a unit t-shirt or inexpensive golf shirt could be issued to a new member the day they joined, produced locally,
and even used as a fundraiser.

Use some of that magic VG tax to send one to the cadet the day their membership is approved - that becomes their
official uniform until they get their Curry.  Your Tango flights are instantly "uniform", they can fly or do anything
else immediately, and the real point of a uniform - "uniformity and organizational identity" is stressed immediately.

Done.

"That Others May Zoom"

Alaric

Quote from: Eclipse on January 06, 2017, 08:34:12 PM

Kidding aside, though, this particular thread isn't even about things that cost the members money, it's about o-rides
which are USAF funded.

Why >isn't< there a golf shirt or similar option for cadets, especially in their first quarter of membership?

Heck, a unit t-shirt or inexpensive golf shirt could be issued to a new member the day they joined, produced locally,

Use some of that magic VG tax to send one to the cadet the day their membership is approved - that becomes their
official uniform until they get their Curry.  Your Tango flights are instantly "uniform", they can fly or do anything
else immediately, and the real point of a uniform - "uniformity and organizational identity" is stressed immediately.

Done.

Awesome send the proposal through the chain

THRAWN

Quote from: Eclipse on January 06, 2017, 08:34:12 PM

which are USAF funded.

Done.

Wan't this a thing? I remember there was a time before I had a uniform that the "new guy" uniform was a squadron t shirt and black pants. Might have been a local policy, but it got you engaged immediately while you got 39-1 compliant.
Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

xray328

I thought this was a good idea to cut down on the cost of encampments as well but got shot down.  Some wings ask (suggest) that you bring three sets of uniforms. Gets pretty expensive for new members (blouse x 3, patches x 3 etc). Why can't they just wear an encampment t-shirt with BDU bottoms?  Still in a uniform, but saves parents some dough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Eclipse

Quote from: THRAWN on January 06, 2017, 08:50:36 PM
Wan't this a thing? I remember there was a time before I had a uniform that the "new guy" uniform was a squadron t shirt and black pants. Might have been a local policy, but it got you engaged immediately while you got 39-1 compliant.

Local policy and what most units >have< to do, but never codified in regulation which is why cadets can't participate outside the unit during those times
or fly.

"That Others May Zoom"

PHall

Quote from: xray328 on January 06, 2017, 09:21:14 PM
I thought this was a good idea to cut down on the cost of encampments as well but got shot down.  Some wings ask (suggest) that you bring three sets of uniforms. Gets pretty expensive for new members (blouse x 3, patches x 3 etc). Why can't they just wear an encampment t-shirt with BDU bottoms?  Still in a uniform, but saves parents some dough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Because a t-shirt with some BDU bottoms is NOT a complete uniform.
And from my experience at what's approaching 30 encampments in multiple wings, the encampments that require three sets of uniforms usually don't have easy access to laundry facilities.

DakRadz

Our answer to this issue is BDUs. If members already have them, great. If not, cheaper and more versatile than anything else.

Currently we are doing BDUs with dark blue tapes.

1st Lt Raduenz