Source for small (child size) blue flight suits?

Started by xray328, January 05, 2017, 05:45:33 PM

xray328

Plan was to buy a blank one with just CAP AND CADET on it and use a white on black label maker

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RogueLeader

Quote from: xray328 on January 05, 2017, 09:11:59 PM
Plan was to buy a blank one with just CAP AND CADET on it and use a white on black label maker.

Another option is get the Wing/CC to authorize the Flight suit for o-rides for cadets, buy a few flight suits in close sizes (they don't have to be precise and can wear layers underneath to keep warm., and have the cadet buy a leather name patch, and just swap that cadets name patch onto the flight suit when they need to.  Cheapest option that meets all the requirements by regulation.  Vanguard won't make a leather name patch without the first and last name, and costs $9.70 plus shipping.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

xray328

Quote from: RogueLeader on January 05, 2017, 09:24:31 PM
Plan was to buy a blank one with just CAP AND CADET on it and use a white on black label maker.

Another option is get the Wing/CC to authorize the Flight suit for o-rides for cadets, buy a few flight suits in close sizes (they don't have to be precise and can wear layers underneath to keep warm., and have the cadet buy a leather name patch, and just swap that cadets name patch onto the flight suit when they need to.  Cheapest option that meets all the requirements by regulation.  Vanguard won't make a leather name patch without the first and last name, and costs $9.70 plus shipping.

I just entered spaces in the text field and and appears that it'll take it..

RogueLeader

When I accidentally had just my last name, they called me on it.  I won't say that they will for you, just my past experience.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

Eclipse

Quote from: RogueLeader on January 05, 2017, 09:24:31 PM

This was / is our plan, including picking up some headsets which are also an issue.

Generic bags with generic nametag - maybe we'll get some generic nametapes, too.  At least we can get them flying.

"That Others May Zoom"

xray328

If I only knew somebody who knows somebody...

Eclipse

Quote from: xray328 on January 05, 2017, 10:26:59 PM
If I only knew somebody who knows somebody...

Well, at least for us the request is in process.

"That Others May Zoom"

RogueLeader

Quote from: Eclipse on January 05, 2017, 10:08:36 PM

This was / is our plan, including picking up some headsets which are also an issue.

Generic bags with generic nametag - maybe we'll get some generic nametapes, too.  At least we can get them flying.

To be honest, as 39-1 stipulates how the nametags and name tapes are to be done, having "generic" name tapes/patches are just as much as a violation as incorrect outerwear.  I'm not saying that I don't disagree with doing what we can do to get them in the air, just that we should be aware of what we are doing before we do it, and to own up to it when we're wrong.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

Eclipse

At some point, when you have competing priorities, you have to do the best you can with what you have.

If the pedantic hat is on, you could just use "last" & "first".

"8.2.4.1. Nametags. Black leather nametags for FDU will be 2x4 inches in size and worn
over the left breast pocket. Nametag will include name (first and last), rank (all cadets will use "Cadet")
and letters "CAP", and may include up to two badges. .."

"That Others May Zoom"

RogueLeader

Quote from: Eclipse on January 05, 2017, 10:57:28 PM
At some point, when you have competing priorities, you have to do the best you can with what you have.

If the pedantic hat is on, you could just use "last" & "first".

"8.2.4.1. Nametags. Black leather nametags for FDU will be 2x4 inches in size and worn
over the left breast pocket. Nametag will include name (first and last), rank (all cadets will use "Cadet")
and letters "CAP", and may include up to two badges. .."

Not disagreeing, but as is factual, when you do that- you are deliberately violating a regulation (and manual), which IIRC, you seem to bash a certain SMSgt for on what used to be a fairly regular basis..
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

xray328

Would the label maker idea not work here assuming Vanguard would sell you a blank one?

RogueLeader

Quote from: xray328 on January 05, 2017, 11:27:07 PM
Would the label maker idea not work here assuming Vanguard would sell you a blank one?

The difficulty would be the "embossed in silver" as stated in 8.2.4.1 

I do like the thought though.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

xray328

https://www.nametags4u.com/designer/leather/?pid=1320

Solves the blank name tag issue. I wasn't aware of the "embossed in silver" part though.

Storm Chaser

Why not just follow the regulation instead of complaining because it doesn't match what you want to do. Cadets can buy uniforms as soon as they join. Waiting a few weeks will not disengage a cadet who's really interested in CAP.

Luis R. Ramos

Buy an uniform... That is fine and dandy for some cadets, but you are forgetting that some of our cadets are one-parent family who may be on welfare. Who are seeing CAP as a possibility of getting training that will take them out of their current life.

:(

Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

xray328

Quote from: Storm Chaser on January 06, 2017, 06:56:30 AM
Why not just follow the regulation instead of complaining because it doesn't match what you want to do. Cadets can buy uniforms as soon as they join. Waiting a few weeks will not disengage a cadet who's really interested in CAP.
Cadets can't always buy uniforms as soon as they join. Some cadets have to wait several weeks and loose interest in the mean time. We've all had cadets that join, come to a few meetings and never come back.  I really think, especially for the cadets waiting on uniforms, o-flights get them involved and excited about the program and the sooner we do that the better. I think that's especially true for cadets in underprivileged areas. 

Please don't start in with the "come and pay" argument, or the "this isn't for everyone" deal.

Alaric

Quote from: xray328 on January 06, 2017, 02:20:43 PM
Quote from: Storm Chaser on January 06, 2017, 06:56:30 AM
Cadets can't always buy uniforms as soon as they join. Some cadets have to wait several weeks and loose interest in the mean time. We've all had cadets that join, come to a few meetings and never come back.  I really think, especially for the cadets waiting on uniforms, o-flights get them involved and excited about the program and the sooner we do that the better. I think that's especially true for cadets in underprivileged areas. 

Please don't start in with the "come and pay" argument, or the "this isn't for everyone" deal.

If you (and your unit) feel that way, then do some fundraising and put money aside to buy uniforms for cadets when they join or have a reserve of uniforms they can borrow so they can go fly (they'll still need to buy nametag/tapes).  You may not like the argument, but CAP is a relatively expensive activity and is not going to be doable by every family.  That's no different than a myriad of other activities that exist and have existed since I was a kid at least.  Families have to do what is right for them within their budgets, CAP is not going to be within everyones budget and unless the units want to start fundraising to bring people into the organization and paying their way, that's life.

xray328

So we start down that road anyway...[emoji19]

Alaric

Quote from: xray328 on January 06, 2017, 02:33:06 PM
So we start down that road...[emoji19]

Reality bites

xray328

We're way apart on how we view things Alaric, let's respectfully leave it at that.