Black shoulder cords - Why are these different and which one do we order?

Started by Eclipse, December 31, 2016, 06:26:05 PM

Eclipse

We need to order a couple black shoulder cords for Cadet Of The Month:
http://www.capmembers.com/media/cms/CADET_OF_THE_MONTH_PROGRAM_DB7614BDD6704.pdf

VG has three different ones - any idea why? (I don't actually trust the photos, but they are below, regardless)

SKU: 3738500 UPC: 24768232732
ARMY SHOULDER CORD: 2723 INTERWOVEN ONE COLOR BLACK/CHAPLAIN $15.55

SKU: 3738505 UPC: 24768260377
ARMY SHOULDER CORD: 2723 INTERWOVEN ONE COLOR BLACK - THICK $18.30

SKU: 3740740BK UPC: 24768924033
USNSCC / NLCC SHOULDER CORD: 2723 INTERWOVEN ONE COLOR BLACK WITH SAFETY PIN $21.60

$6 is a pretty big price delta for something that looks the same to me.  Yes, I know there are alternative vendors,
but I have people who need VG only stuff so am using this as an opportunity to combine shipping.

"That Others May Zoom"

kwe1009

SarDragon

Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

lordmonar

The first and second ones...look like they are different sizes.   The third one says it has a safety pin on it.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

BuckeyeDEJ

The safety pin is so the sea cadets can wear the cord in their safe space, I take it? :P

CAP since 1984: Lt Col; former C/Lt Col; MO, MRO, MS, IO; former sq CC/CD/PA; group, wing, region PA, natl cmte mbr, nat'l staff member.
REAL LIFE: Working journalist in SPG, DTW (News), SRQ, PIT (Trib), 2D1, WVI, W22; editor, desk chief, designer, photog, columnist, reporter, graphics guy, visual editor, but not all at once. Now a communications manager for an international multisport venue.

Abby.L

Quote from: BuckeyeDEJ on January 01, 2017, 03:37:56 AM
The safety pin is so the sea cadets can wear the cord in their safe space, I take it? :P

I take it that you're kidding, but in all reality, I believe it's so that you can wear it on a jacket/shirt that doesn't have epaulets, so should also be "Solid" all around(Unlike the ones that we all know, where it has that single cord that goes under the epaulet). This would be, for example, the AF NCO service coat. This is all just speculation, of course, as we can't actually infer much from the pictures provided.
Capt Abby R. Lockling
SSgt(Sep) USAF, 41ECS
Charlie flight, NBB 2013

DakRadz

The pictures are (as presumed) unreliable.

Number three, with the safety pin, is the better deal all around. It works with all dress uniforms (as mentioned, no buttons for a loop on the USAF enlisted coats many cadets have, even as C/officers), and if everyone has the same, pinning it at the very edge of the uniform shirt/coat looks consistent and professional. I've had both styles as a cadet, and the pin is best.

Just find a better price. I know the Vanguard money comes back to CAP at some level, but that is just ridiculous. And obviously they say Army, so they simply overcharge everyone- that means CAP won't get much from these. Look elsewhere- paradestore was mentioned, I bought several nice items as a JROTC cadet and so did some of the instructors.

kwe1009

Quote from: DakRadz on January 01, 2017, 07:11:23 PM
The pictures are (as presumed) unreliable.

Number three, with the safety pin, is the better deal all around. It works with all dress uniforms (as mentioned, no buttons for a loop on the USAF enlisted coats many cadets have, even as C/officers), and if everyone has the same, pinning it at the very edge of the uniform shirt/coat looks consistent and professional. I've had both styles as a cadet, and the pin is best.

Just find a better price. I know the Vanguard money comes back to CAP at some level, but that is just ridiculous. And obviously they say Army, so they simply overcharge everyone- that means CAP won't get much from these. Look elsewhere- paradestore was mentioned, I bought several nice items as a JROTC cadet and so did some of the instructors.

I think CAP only gets a cut from the CAP-specific items so they would get nothing from this purchase.  For the CAP stuff I believe NHQ gets 10%. 

DakRadz

Quote from: kwe1009 on January 01, 2017, 09:54:50 PM

I think CAP only gets a cut from the CAP-specific items so they would get nothing from this purchase.  For the CAP stuff I believe NHQ gets 10%.

#GuiltFree
#FreeMarket
#AlrightImDone

1st Lt Raduenz

Eclipse

Full disclosure - I know.

I was really trying to point out that VG has the same item in the catalog 3 different
ways for three different prices.

Paradestore has the exact same cord for less than 1/2 the highest priced item:

Button Loop Cord: One Color
Price From: $9.25 SKU: 452 Cords

It would just be nice if someone at NHQ was charged with procurement issues such as this.
In this case, it's free market, but not a level playing field as CAP offers VG a captive market.
It's add-ons like this where companies make a lot of their profit - click below and burn some
corporate money at more then the rate necessary, or waste more of a member's already
precious time making them shop unnecessarily.

It's also somewhat disappointing that the highest priced item is listed as for the Sea Cadets.
Clearly CAP isn't the only cash cow on the block.

"That Others May Zoom"

kwe1009

Quote from: Eclipse on January 02, 2017, 01:51:17 AM

Full disclosure - I know.

I was really trying to point out that VG has the same item in the catalog 3 different
ways for three different prices.

Paradestore has the exact same cord for less than 1/2 the highest priced item:

Button Loop Cord: One Color
Price From: $9.25 SKU: 452 Cords

It would just be nice if someone at NHQ was charged with procurement issues such as this.
In this case, it's free market, but not a level playing field as CAP offers VG a captive market.
It's add-ons like this where companies make a lot of their profit - click below and burn some
corporate money at more then the rate necessary, or waste more of a member's already
precious time making them shop unnecessarily.

It's also somewhat disappointing that the highest priced item is listed as for the Sea Cadets.
Clearly CAP isn't the only cash cow on the block.

Just like with CAP regs, the pictures are not necessarily accurate and are for general reference only.  For a business like VG, it is not very good practice to not have accurate images for products that are for sale.