Main Menu

The Sword Is Back

Started by ProdigalJim, December 30, 2016, 06:30:08 PM

ProdigalJim

While searching (in vain) on Vanguard to see if the Sage Fleece-compliant grade insignia have been added (it is the end of the month as they had said), I discovered that the Official CAP Sword (TM) is back.

Why? Just...why?

https://www.vanguardmil.com/products/civil-air-patrol-sword-etch-with-civil-air-patrol-words
Jim Mathews, Lt. Col., CAP
VAWG/CV
My Mitchell Has Four Digits...

Al Sayre

So the cadets can have sword fights over who gets to be element leader and senior members can wear it with their plumed hat and mess dress while flying AFAM's... >:D
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

PHall

Because you never know when you're going to have a CAP "Military" Wedding and you need the swords to do a sabre arch! >:D

THRAWN

Quote from: PHall on December 30, 2016, 07:22:28 PM
Because you never know when you're going to have a CAP "Military" Wedding and you need the swords to do a sabre arch! >:D

Don't laugh, I've seen more than one CAPCouple get hitched all uniformed up.
Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

Eclipse

Our long national nightmare is over.

"That Others May Zoom"

kcebnaes

Oh thank the Gods this is back! I was wondering how I could possibly anoint and appoint my staff! Now, with this sword, it'll be super easy!
Sean Beck, Maj, CAP
Great Lakes Region sUAS Officer
Various Other Things™

kwe1009

Quote from: Al Sayre on December 30, 2016, 06:37:44 PM
So the cadets can have sword fights over who gets to be element leader and senior members can wear it with their plumed hat and mess dress while flying AFAM's... >:D

We get plumed hats too?  AWESOME!   >:D

Seriously, I was in the VG store in Norfolk last year and saw one on the wall.  They also had swords for all of the military branches.  I wonder how many Air Force swords they sell each year. 

dwb

I didn't know I needed a sword, but now I think I need a sword.

I mean, I already have the CAP pocket knife, this thing seems like the next logical step.

SarDragon

But this is the elite of the elite!

Navy CPO Cutlass

Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Luis R. Ramos

The sword is back so we can salute Trump with it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihi5k0eo31M

Also when we go out on a sortie, over an open fire roast our hot dogs and marshmallows.

:clap:

Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

ProdigalJim

SENIOR MEMBER: "Your Squadron Commander wanted you to have this, when you were old enough. But your Flight Commander wouldn't allow it. He feared you might follow old Smilin' Jack on some [darn]edfool idealistic crusade the same as your father did..."

CADET: "What is it?"

SENIOR MEMBER: "It's your Commander's...Lightweight-Sabre. This is the weapon of an unpaid volunteer. Not as clumsy or random as an official-logo pocket-knife or a water pistol. An elegant weapon...of a more...civilized age."

(CADET swings sabre wildly)

SENIOR MEMBER: "For over a thousand generations CAP Seniors were the guardians of Coasts and domestic beaches in the Old Republic. Before the Dark Times. Before the AUX ON/AUX OFF."
VAWG/CV

biomed441

Quote from: ProdigalJim on December 30, 2016, 09:54:14 PM
SENIOR MEMBER: "Your Squadron Commander wanted you to have this, when you were old enough. But your Flight Commander wouldn't allow it. He feared you might follow old Smilin' Jack on some [darn]edfool idealistic crusade the same as your father did..."

CADET: "What is it?"

SENIOR MEMBER: "It's your Commander's...Lightweight-Sabre. This is the weapon of an unpaid volunteer. Not as clumsy or random as an official-logo pocket-knife or a water pistol. An elegant weapon...of a more...civilized age."

(CADET swings sabre wildly)

SENIOR MEMBER: "For over a thousand generations CAP Seniors were the guardians of Coasts and domestic beaches in the Old Republic. Before the Dark Times. Before the AUX ON/AUX OFF."

You win the internet today.

Spam

Quote from: THRAWN on December 30, 2016, 07:23:53 PM
Quote from: PHall on December 30, 2016, 07:22:28 PM

Don't laugh, I've seen more than one CAPCouple get hitched all uniformed up.

Same here!  I knew one couple who received an L-Per DF unit as a wedding present!

Spam

Quote from: Luis R. Ramos on December 30, 2016, 09:38:34 PM

Or, its back so we can slash away at the lame duck last minute red tape?  (equal opportunity fun)!

Cheers
Spam

supertigerCH

for ceremonial (parade & honor guard) type functions... I'm assuming?

i'm not involved in any type of honor guard activities, so i don't know for sure...

however, what else could it be?

Luis R. Ramos

...OR THE INCONSISTENT OR (UN)CLEAR REGULATIONS...?

>:D

Squadron Safety Officer

Simplex

What a relief.......at least I have something "official" to fall on should the need arise.

Luis R. Ramos

HahaaahhAAAAAhaa ha ha haaaa!!!

Cough, cough, cough...

(Laughed so hard my ASTHMA is acting up!)
Squadron Safety Officer

HandsomeWalt_USMC

If it weren't so expensive, I'd get one. I could hang it over my desk in the squadron in one of those sword plaques with my USMC NCO sword in the other side... put a little brass tag on it with the inscription "Slow cadet motivators for PT testing"  >:D :P

HANDSOME SENDS

Semper Fidelis

"PRIDE IS CONTAGIOUS"

stillamarine

Quote from: HandsomeWalt_USMC on December 31, 2016, 01:39:08 AM
If it weren't so expensive, I'd get one. I could hang it over my desk in the squadron in one of those sword plaques with my USMC NCO sword in the other side... put a little brass tag on it with the inscription "Slow cadet motivators for PT testing"  >:D :P

I gave my NCO sword to a friend's parents who was KIA. One day I'll get another and maybe one of these.
Tim Gardiner, 1st LT, CAP

USMC AD 1996-2001
USMCR    2001-2005  Admiral, Great State of Nebraska Navy  MS, MO, UDF
tim.gardiner@gmail.com

HandsomeWalt_USMC

Mine was a gift from my great-uncle when I got home from my last deployment. It was his originally, he bought it at clothing sales in Quantico in 1950-something when he was stationed there post Korea. Semper Fi.
HANDSOME SENDS

Semper Fidelis

"PRIDE IS CONTAGIOUS"

sardak

QuoteI was wondering how I could possibly anoint and appoint my staff! Now, with this sword, it'll be super easy!
As will be getting rid of them!

Mike

Abby.L

I like how vague the item name is. "Sword, etch with Civil Air Patrol words."  ???

If they didn't explain it in the item description I'd just have to get one to find out what it said.
Capt Abby R. Lockling
SSgt(Sep) USAF, 41ECS
Charlie flight, NBB 2013

abdsp51

That could get you an area of concern annotation on your SUI.

kcebnaes

Quote from: sardak on December 31, 2016, 03:52:43 AM
QuoteI was wondering how I could possibly anoint and appoint my staff! Now, with this sword, it'll be super easy!
As will be getting rid of them!

I didn't even think of that!

[fixed quotes]
Sean Beck, Maj, CAP
Great Lakes Region sUAS Officer
Various Other Things™

Spam

Quote from: abdsp51 on December 31, 2016, 04:06:49 AM

That could get you an area of concern annotation on your SUI.

Benchmark!!!

;D

HandsomeWalt_USMC

Not sure what benchmark means, Spam.
Edit: Disregard, googled the SUI guide. You clearly have a great sense of humor, sir!  :clap:

Abdsp1, it was pretty clearly a joke. Hence the smilies. Lighten up, Francis.
HANDSOME SENDS

Semper Fidelis

"PRIDE IS CONTAGIOUS"

abdsp51

Quote from: HandsomeWalt_USMC on December 31, 2016, 06:05:48 AM
Not sure what benchmark means, Spam.
Edit: Disregard, googled the SUI guide. You clearly have a great sense of humor, sir!  :clap:

Abdsp1, it was pretty clearly a joke. Hence the smilies. Lighten up, Francis.

Yeah, no.  I am very well aware it was a joke, gag or whatever term you choose to use.  And one that can be considered in poor taste.

N6RVT

Quote from: Luis R. Ramos on December 30, 2016, 09:38:34 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihi5k0eo31M

Also when we go out on a sortie, over an open fire roast our hot dogs and marshmallows.

:clap:
I think it's humorous that appetite followed up that post with an ad for earn money for playing games

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

N6RVT

Quote from: SarDragon on December 30, 2016, 09:33:30 PM
But this is the elite of the elite!

Navy CPO Cutlass
Swords are useless crap you could actually fight with this thing

kwe1009

Quote from: Levi Lockling on December 31, 2016, 03:57:42 AM
I like how vague the item name is. "Sword, etch with Civil Air Patrol words."  ???

If they didn't explain it in the item description I'd just have to get one to find out what it said.

That is pretty much what it is.  It is the USAF sword with "CIVIL AIR PATROL" etched on it.  If I remember correctly it has the CAP logo on it as well.  If any of you are in the Norfolk, VA area you can visit the VG store and see this on the wall with all of the other swords.

NIN

Now I have another useless thing to buy _after_ I get the wheel cap. 

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

ColonelJack

A little too pricey for me, but I do collect swords and such ... maybe I'll save up a few shekels and try to get hold of one before they disappear from the Vanguard catalog again.

I must confess, I am more than a little confused by the bellyache this sword gives some people.  So what if it's being offered for sale?  I seriously doubt most CAP members will even buy one, but if they do ... well, I won't go so far as to say they won't actually wear it because they know better (you'd be surprised how many members really don't know better), but that's no reason to criticize Vanguard for trying to make a buck.

Jack
Jack Bagley, Ed. D.
Lt. Col., CAP (now inactive)
Gill Robb Wilson Award No. 1366, 29 Nov 1991
Honorary Admiral, Navy of the Republic of Molossia

NIN

Quote from: ColonelJack on January 01, 2017, 02:16:41 PM
I must confess, I am more than a little confused by the bellyache this sword gives some people.  So what if it's being offered for sale?  I seriously doubt most CAP members will even buy one, but if they do ... well, I won't go so far as to say they won't actually wear it because they know better (you'd be surprised how many members really don't know better), but that's no reason to criticize Vanguard for trying to make a buck.

I think the bellyache comes when the stuff we're supposed to be wearing is of questionable quality standards or lacks availability, but the stuff that makes Vanguard a buck seems to be everywhere.

Do we wear a sword in the CAP uniform? No.
Do we have a hard time getting quality insignia products in a timely fashion? Yes.

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

ProdigalJim

^^^^^^^ Precisely. This.

I'd trade 200 sabres, 400 coffee mugs and two dozen iPad covers-that-don't-really-fit-iPads for insignia that are consistent, correct, well-manufactured and available.

Hey, the year's early, a fella can dream can't he?
VAWG/CV

SARDOC

People keep asking about the difference vanguard charges for similar products.

The Civil Air Patrol sword $356.40 versus the almost Identical Air Force Sword $592.90.  Um...over $230 bucks for an inscription difference. 

If I were Air Force in the market for the sword, I'd probably get the CAP one and nobody would be the wiser.   >:D

ZigZag911

Back when this first came out, I heard about a squadron commander who got fired during an audit for buying one of these foolish oversized letter openers at the urging of the cadet staff.

The issue was that the unit was, essentially, broke...the CC's judgment was called into question for making orallowing this purchase.

Moral of the story: just because Vanguard sells it doesn't mean you need it!

N6RVT

Quote from: ZigZag911 on January 02, 2017, 07:53:34 AM
Back when this first came out, I heard about a squadron commander who got fired during an audit for buying one of these foolish oversized letter openers at the urging of the cadet staff.

The issue was that the unit was, essentially, broke...the CC's judgment was called into question for making orallowing this purchase.

Moral of the story: just because Vanguard sells it doesn't mean you need it!
I can't think of any use there could possibly be for having one sword anyway

ColonelJack

Quote from: NIN on January 01, 2017, 03:16:39 PM
Quote from: ColonelJack on January 01, 2017, 02:16:41 PM

I think the bellyache comes when the stuff we're supposed to be wearing is of questionable quality standards or lacks availability, but the stuff that makes Vanguard a buck seems to be everywhere.

Do we wear a sword in the CAP uniform? No.
Do we have a hard time getting quality insignia products in a timely fashion? Yes.

Now that is an argument I can buy into (you'll pardon the pun).  Here we would be in full agreement.

I still like the sword, though.

Jack
Jack Bagley, Ed. D.
Lt. Col., CAP (now inactive)
Gill Robb Wilson Award No. 1366, 29 Nov 1991
Honorary Admiral, Navy of the Republic of Molossia

PHall

Quote from: SARDOC on January 02, 2017, 04:56:47 AM

The Civil Air Patrol sword $356.40 versus the almost Identical Air Force Sword $592.90.  Um...over $230 bucks for an inscription difference. 

If I were Air Force in the market for the sword, I'd probably get the CAP one and nobody would be the wiser.   >:D

The only place the Air Force swords are used is at the Air Force Academy by the Firstclassmen (seniors). They are required to buy them through payroll deduction.
And after graduation they will never have to wear them again....

kwe1009

Quote from: PHall on January 02, 2017, 05:17:37 PM
Quote from: SARDOC on January 02, 2017, 04:56:47 AM

The only place the Air Force swords are used is at the Air Force Academy by the Firstclassmen (seniors). They are required to buy them through payroll deduction.

Honor Guards use the swords for weddings, cordons, and other ceremonies. 

Other than that the swords are useless.  I would imagine that the only people who buy them are the super moto young airmen but personally I have never seen anyone that owned one.

Briank

Tempting to get one just because...

However, it would just be one more functionally useless thing around here to maintain...  Fighting hard to stay rational about it and not order one!  :-)

AlphaSigOU

Quote from: PHall on January 02, 2017, 05:17:37 PM

Unlike the Hudson High School for Wayward Children and the Canoe Boarding School at Sodom-on-Severn (I keed, I keed!) which presents rolled-up sheepskins AFA grad diplomas are made as plaques and are designed to mount the cadink saber and scabbard (not sword) for display.

ETA: they do issue sheepskins but are already framed and matted for presentation. Some will frame and mat their Regular Air Force commissioning certificate separately.
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

MSG Mac

I'll stick with mu USMC NCO sword.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

DJ Light Chop

I was discussing the CAP SWORD with someone.  And I figured out the only occasion that I can think of in which it wouldn't be totally ridiculous.  If a couple were to meet in cap, and eventually get married, and they opted to have a cap honor guard (and if they could have swords) there as a nod to how they met, that could possibly fall under the umbrella of not completely stupid.

kwe1009

Quote from: DJ Light Chop on January 03, 2017, 03:43:05 AM
I was discussing the CAP SWORD with someone.  And I figured out the only occasion that I can think of in which it wouldn't be totally ridiculous.  If a couple were to meet in cap, and eventually get married, and they opted to have a cap honor guard (and if they could have swords) there as a nod to how they met, that could possibly fall under the umbrella of not completely stupid.

The only other this is as a cordon at a form function, again only if the cadets were allowed to use the swords.  Neither occasion happens often enough to warrant spending the money (for either activity it is recommended that you have at least 6 Honor Guardsmen).  Many USAF base Honor Guards don't even own swords, they borrow them from nearby ROTC programs if the need comes up.