Cadet transitioning SM questions on specialty track

Started by nomiddlemas, December 19, 2016, 03:34:40 AM

nomiddlemas

Hello all,
So I am a recent cadet that switched to the dark side.  I have been told to do some research on what specialty track I would like to do.  I am a current aircrew member (MS,AP) and also a student pilot with close to 45 hours.  I used to be a GTM 2 member on our ground team.  I really like ES and especially the aircrew and aviation side of it all.  I have looked into ES officer, as well as operations Officer.  Are there any other specific tracks that I could join in on to further my aircrew or aviation experiences? Any things you SM's would recommend I do/stay away from? Thanks

Eclipse

Based on the ratings and the interest, Operations or ES would seem to be the winners (could also be both).

As a pilot you may have some expertise and interest in AE.

As a former cadet you may also qualify for advanced PD credit based on how far you made it in the CP.

"That Others May Zoom"

nomiddlemas

Quote from: Eclipse on December 19, 2016, 05:01:52 AM
Based on the ratings and the interest, Operations or ES would seem to be the winners (could also be both).

As a pilot you may have some expertise and interest in AE.

As a former cadet you may also qualify for advanced PD credit based on how far you made it in the CP.

I just made it to Cadet Chief Master Sergeant. 

Eclipse

Unfortunately that won't buy you any advanced Senior PD.

"That Others May Zoom"

Storm Chaser

You want to make sure you understand what the duties and responsibilities for each assignment are, as well as the specialty track requirements, before committing to a specialty track. I've seen more than my share of members who chose the Emergency Services or Operations duty assignment and specialty track because they wanted to be involved with ES just to find out that the corresponding staff function wasn't as appealing.

Another thing to consider is progression. The ES specialty track requires one year to complete a Technician rating as opposed to the six months required for most specialty tracks. In addition, the Master rating in ES requires three years in wing staff. Other specialty tracks only require one year or can be done at the unit or group levels.

The Operations specialty track requires one year in group or wing staff for a Senior rating and another year in wing or region staff for a Master rating.

If this is what you want to do, by all means, pursue it. We need trained, qualified, and experienced staff officers in these areas. Just make sure you understand all it entails. Good luck!